Night's Sorceries by Tanith Lee

Night's Sorceries

by Tanith Lee

209255,966 (4.04)3

The Basics

Night’s Sorceries serves as a companion novel to the previous volume in the series, Delirium’s Mistress. While the events of Azhriaz’s story are unfolding, she and the other players are inadvertently affecting the human lives that stray too close. These are their stories.

My Thoughts

At first I wasn’t sure how to feel about the fact that this story is not a continuation of the Tales of the Flat Earth so much as an expansion upon the last book. Yet like most of Lee’s books, it endears itself so quickly that I couldn’t be annoyed by that for long at all. Each of these tales has a different tone to it, some light and fluffy, others dark and cynical. Each one brings something fresh to the table.

One of my favorites was “Children of the Night”, wherein a young woman is betrothed to an evil lord. That sounds pretty straightforward, but the story is anything but. It has a decidedly Midsummer-Night’s-Dream feel to it, with a lot of whimsy and humor. In the same vein as that play, dark and powerful creatures are about their business, and humans get caught in the crossfire.

The hardest part of reviewing a book at the end of the series is my fear of spoiling someone into not wanting to read it at all. That would especially be a shame with a series as amazing as this one is. Having said that, in the spirit of not giving away too much about the ending, the last story, a substantially long one, does turn out to be a continuation. It’s beautifully done and as well crafted as I could hope. A wonderful note to end on, though I am hopeful that this won’t be the last we see of this series.

Final Rating

5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
A series of short stories that occur in between the big events of the previous novels in the Flat Earth series, showing what happens to regular people as the gods and their offspring and lovers go about their business. I really liked this book, especially since it had the overtones of myths and legends and fairy tales, with magic glancing across the lives of people. Lee's language is as wonderful as ever, this quote made me pause and savour the imagery:
"Presently the sun went down. The sky shone like wine in a golden bowl, then became pale like rosy ink in a bowl of platinum. And then the sky was the color of distilled lavender, and a cool breeze ran lightly through the garden as a cat, turning the heads of the flowers as they drooped." ( )
  silentq | Apr 4, 2012 |
What is any of this to us? Time is endless and ours. Love and death are only the games we play in it.
~ Delirium's Mistress
In the hem of the forest, a village lay.

In the Age of Demons, when the Earth was still flat, Prince Chuz, Delusion's Master, stole Azhriaz, daughter of the Demon Lord of Night, from the underworld citadel meant to be her eternal prison. Pursued by the vengeful Lord of Night, Chuz and Azhriaz fled to the world above, to the lands of mortal men, seeking a haven for their love.

Yet when demons dwelt in the realm of men, terror and wonders were bound to result. And so it was for all who came in contact with Chuz, Azehiaz, and their dread pursuer. As all three worked their powerful sorceries, men and women, from the highest lord to the lowest peasants, were led into new kingdoms of enchantment where a man could learn to commune with beasts, where magicians found their spells recast, where a woman's kindness could turn back time, and where a mortal might fulfill a prophecy that would place he very sun and moon within his grasp.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,632,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible