Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and…

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II (Bantam… (edition 1986)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Member:LouBriccant
Title:Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II (Bantam Classic)
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Bantam Classics (1986), Paperback, 768 pages

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The only thing I regret about reading the stories of Sherlock Holmes in two great big chunks is that I feel like it's all over too soon. How I wish I'd lived in the time where I would have had to wait, impatient and eager, for the next installment of the great detective's adventures. The wait would have been well worth it.

While reading, I am in fact transported to Victorian England, to the apartment at 221B Baker Street which I can see clearly in my mind's eye (note: I have never watched any Sherlock inspired TV series). From that sitting room I embark on, with Holmes and Watson, so many mind boggling adventures where I try as I might, like Watson does, to keep up with the great Sherlock Holmes. He leaves me for dust just about every time, but that makes it no less enjoyable. I rather like watching him prove his talents time and again.

John Watson faithfully chronicles the adventures of Sherlock Holmes for us, as Holmes is called to many a case where it is never about the money, only the mental exercise. Holmes likes to be challenged and more often than not he rises to the occasion. We are told that there are some cases that were not solved, which is interesting, but their tales have not been concluded because they lack completion. We also find in this volume, one story from the third person and a couple from Holmes', both which I enjoyed and had a distinctly different voice to that of Watson. I felt that these were interesting author choices but also reflective of the fact Watson and Holmes were not always together.

As I'm sure you can tell, I loved every Sherlock Holmes story I read. Some of course were more thrilling than others, more adventurous, but they were all well written and very clever all the same. My hat off to Sherlock Holmes, John Watson and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 26, 2014 |
Sometimes a little slow going. But you just can't go past all those lovely plots. Such a pity technology these days renders most of Doyle's twists and turns obsolete. ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
Dans ces cinq aventures, Sherlock Holmes exerce son génie de la déduction. Le moindre détail fait office d'indice pour le légendaire détective. Résoudre les énigmes les plus obscures devient alors un jeu d'enfant...
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
The second volume of the Sherlock Holmes novels and stories, containing The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Valley of Fear, His Last Bow and The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes, the first two being novels, the last two collections of short stories. There is not much new I can say about this book that I haven’t already said about the previous volume. I liked the novels a lot better than the short stories, because you read more about all sides of the story and the story gets more time to build up to the final reveal. The stories are pretty nice, but like in the previous book, sometimes a bit predictable because it is (now) a familiar theme, or stories are alike to each other. Still, this classic must read gets four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Aug 8, 2011 |
Contains The Hound of the Baskervilles; The Valley of Fear; His Last Bow; The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes.

Review for
The Hound of the Baskervilles
This was a re-read and I have also seen many film and TV adaptations so the story itself held no surprises. What I did enjoy were the characters and the descriptions of the moor. Sherlock Holmes is a distant character in this story; we are focused on Watson, and the inhabitants and neighbours of Baskerville Hall. A very atmospheric read, classic and well worth reading.

The rest of the collection will be reviewed when I get around to reading them.
  calm | Mar 2, 2011 |

Sir Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Estleman, Loren D.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Kauhun laakso : 1. Murhenäytelmä Birlsstonen kartanossa by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

MR. SHERLOCK HOLMES, who was usually very late in the, mornings save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table. (The Hound of the Baskervilles.)
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set. The Bantam edition (0-553-21242-7) contains the Hound of the Baskervilles, The Valley of Fear, The Last Bow and the Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes. If your edition contains different works, consider separating it or at least listing its contents here.
Comprend : Vol. 2 : The hound of the Baskervilles, The valley of fear, His last bow, The case book of Sherlock Holmes.

The Hound of the Baskervilles.

The Valley of Fear.

His Last Bow.

The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock HolmesThe Complete Novels and StoriesVolume IISince his first appearance in Beeton’s Christmas Annual in 1887, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes has been one of the most beloved fictional characters ever created. Now, in two paperback volumes, Bantam presents all fifty-six short stories and four novels featuring Conan Doyle’s classic hero--a truly complete collection of Sherlock Holmes’s adventures in crime!Volume II begins with The Hound of the Baskervilles, a haunting novel of murder on eerie Grimpen Moor, which has rightly earned its reputation as the finest murder mystery ever written. The Valley of Fear matches Holmes against his archenemy, the master of imaginative crime, Professor Moriarty. In addition, the loyal Dr. Watson has faithfully recorded Holmes’s feats of extraordinary detection in such famous cases as the thrilling The Adventure of the Red Circle and the twelve baffling adventures from The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle’s incomparable tales bring to life a Victorian England of horse-drawn cabs, fogs, and the famous lodgings at 221B Baker Street, where for more than forty years Sherlock Holmes earned his undisputed reputation as the greatest fictional detective of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:37 -0400)

CRIME & MYSTERY. Contents : A Study in Scarlet: The first ever Sherlock Holmes story, published in Beeton's Christmas Annual, 1887, sees Holmes adopt Dr Watson as a faithful companion while investigating a grisly murder in South London.; The Sign of Four: First published in Lipincott's Monthly Magazine in 1890, this is a tale of a damsel in distress, intrigue in colonial India, stolen treasure, a baffling murder and four despicable ex-convicts.; The Hound of the Baskervilles: Perhaps the most famous of all Sherlock Holmes titles, The Hound, featuring bizarre behaviour and mysterious deaths on the Devon moors was serialised in The Strand Magazine between August 1901 and April 1902.; The Valley of Fear: The final Sherlock Holmes novel first appeared in The Strand Magazine between September 1914 and May 1915. Holmes unravels the mystery of a dead man's mistaken identity and faces up to his old foe, Professor Moriarty.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,741,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible