Take No Farewell by Robert Goddard

Take No Farewell (1991)

by Robert Goddard

Another great masterpiece from Robert Goddard, he is truly the master of telling a great yarn with twists and Suspense evident throughout. This one is set in the years either side of the First World War, and revolves around a murder and the events that led up to it and followed it. Within this we have a trial, great characterisation, plotting and storyline. Robert Goddard does write the most evocative and colourful sentences. I do recommend this. ❤️ ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Aug 19, 2017 |
This book was also published under the title "Take No Farewells" which of course adds to the confusion when searching for it. If you find it under either title you are holding in your hands a real treat. The book is so full of good characters, devious characters, and characters that you just don't know what to make of. It has a murder, it has a trial and it has one major surprise after another. The book, at least for me began rather slow but by the second chapter I didn't want to stop. I don't know too many authors that are in the class with Robert Goddard that can make the reader feel one emotion after another from anger and frustration to hope and joy. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a great mystery. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Aug 18, 2017 |
Book Description
Geoffrey Staddon had never forgotten the house called Clouds Frome, his first important commission and the best thing he had ever done as an architect. Twelve years before the day in September 1923 when a paragraph in the newspaper made his blood run cold, he had turned his back on it for the last time, turned his back on the woman he loved, and who loved him. But when he read that Consuela Caswell had been charged with murder by poisoning he knew, with a certainty that defied the great divide of all those years, that she could not be guilty. As the remorse and shame of his own betrayal of her came flooding back, he knew too that he could not let matters rest. And when she sent her own daughter to him, pleading for help, he knew that he must return at last to Clouds Frome and to the dark secret that it held.

My Review:
I love Robert Goddard's books and this one did not disappoint. It kept me guessing until the last page. His characters are so unique and very believable. Lots of twists and turns kept the pages turning until the very surprise ending. The plot was very calculating and the murderer obscure. All Goddard's books are very well-written and fascinating and sure to hold your interest. I look forward to reading another of his books and I highly recommend this book to those who love historical murder mysteries with intrigue. ( )
1 vote EadieB | Aug 17, 2017 |
Don't go in the drawing room! ( )
  picardyrose | Mar 2, 2007 |
Typical Goddard book. Many convolutions. A copout ending. ( )
  corgidog2 | Mar 26, 2006 |
It snowed in the night.

An illicit love spans twelve years in a mystery that is set in England and the Cote d'Azur during the Roaring Twenties. By the author of In Pale Battalions and Into the Blue. Reprint. K.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

When an outsider appears in the ThunderClan's midst, it drives the Clans further apart and as tension mounts they must decide who they can trust before it is too late

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible