Into the Woods by Lyn Gardner

Into the Woods

by Lyn Gardner

Other authors: Mini Grey (Illustrator)

Series: Eden Sisters (1)

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both have a twist on traditional fairy tales and are fantasy adventures featuring young girls
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Magical adventures of a princess with a mind of her own
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)

This is another good example of characters that have been taken out of our original fairytales. Brothers are making wishes, that have consequences. Their family is cursed because of a witch, how will these people survive?
  ryleemay | Dec 6, 2016 |
I have had this book to read for quite awhile. I really enjoyed the beginning of this book but as the story progressed I found my attention lagging. There are cute illustrations throughout which made the story pretty fun.

This is an interesting mash-up of folktales and fairy tales. There are little bits and pieces of many throughout. I actually started to find it a bit distracting sorting out which pieces of the story came from which fairy tales.

This is a fairy tale that is pretty dark in tone. I enjoyed the characters of Storm, Aurora, and Eden. However, my attention started to wander when the girls got trapped in the evil witch’s candy cottage and from there went off to face the Piper. I think things just started to get a bit too contrived and weren’t flowing all that well which made the story harder to read.

So, while I loved the style of writing in the beginning of the book...by the end of the book I started skimming through chapters because I was bored. I also disliked that this is one of those middle grade reads where every adult is either evil or ambivalent toward the children in it.

Overall this is an okay middle grade dark fairy tale; the beginning was well done and the end was just boring. Personally I would skip it; there are much better middle grade fairy tale mash-ups out there. I would recommend checking out the A Tale Dark and Grimm series by Adam Gidwitz...it’s a darkly hilarious and hugely entertaining fairy tale mash up. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 30, 2016 |
FAN, adventure, woods, evil, orphans
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
For lovers of fractured fairy tales, this has many of the same motifs as what you would expect.

Follow the story of three sisters, Storm, Aurora, and Ana as they battle their own fears and learn what true sisterhood is all about. It's a great children's book with lessons to be learned, even if it has to be spelled out. There were a few instances in the story that I felt were particularly forced, especially as we reached the climax of the story near the end. Granted, it's a fairy tale format, so there needs to be a lot of suspension of disbelief, but even for these characters there were some choices that I didn't think warranted. I'm looking at you, Storm, who jumps to outlandish conclusions about what might have happened despite all the tribulations that you have been through. Really?

A great book in its own right, but personally I think there are more entertaining fractured fairy tale books out there. In particular, I would recommend [b:A Tale Dark & Grimm|7825557|A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)|Adam Gidwitz|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345696603s/7825557.jpg|10874302] by Adam Gidwitz. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I found the plot extremely hurried, and the characters rather flat. I like my fairy tales to come with a side-helping of redemption. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |

Lyn Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grey, MiniIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Pursued by the sinister Dr. DeWilde and his ravenous wolves, three sisters--Storm, the inheritor of a special musical pipe, the elder Aurora, and the baby Any--flee into the woods and begin a treacherous journey filled with many dangers as they try to find a way to defeat their pursuer and keep him from taking the pipe and control of the entire land.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible