Into the Woods by Lyn Gardner

Into the Woods

by Lyn Gardner

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both have a twist on traditional fairy tales and are fantasy adventures featuring young girls
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Magical adventures of a princess with a mind of her own
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)

FAN, adventure, woods, evil, orphans
  prichter | Aug 4, 2015 |
For lovers of fractured fairy tales, this has many of the same motifs as what you would expect.

Follow the story of three sisters, Storm, Aurora, and Ana as they battle their own fears and learn what true sisterhood is all about. It's a great children's book with lessons to be learned, even if it has to be spelled out. There were a few instances in the story that I felt were particularly forced, especially as we reached the climax of the story near the end. Granted, it's a fairy tale format, so there needs to be a lot of suspension of disbelief, but even for these characters there were some choices that I didn't think warranted. I'm looking at you, Storm, who jumps to outlandish conclusions about what might have happened despite all the tribulations that you have been through. Really?

A great book in its own right, but personally I think there are more entertaining fractured fairy tale books out there. In particular, I would recommend [b:A Tale Dark & Grimm|7825557|A Tale Dark & Grimm (A Tale Dark & Grimm, #1)|Adam Gidwitz|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345696603s/7825557.jpg|10874302] by Adam Gidwitz. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I found the plot extremely hurried, and the characters rather flat. I like my fairy tales to come with a side-helping of redemption. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Cute fairytale-with-a-twist story. A bit of the Pied Piper, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty mixed together, told with a Lemony Snicket style. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Be insteresting to see if this will be popular enough for the sequel the author pretty clearly has in mind to actually happen. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

Pursued by the sinister Dr. DeWilde and his ravenous wolves, three sisters--Storm, the inheritor of a special musical pipe, the elder Aurora, and the baby Any--flee into the woods and begin a treacherous journey filled with many dangers as they try to find a way to defeat their pursuer and keep him from taking the pipe and control of the entire land.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,004,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible