The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

The Dante Club (2003)

by Matthew Pearl

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: 19th century New York with a serial killer - better than this one.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (iubookgirl)
    iubookgirl: If you enjoy books that weave real historical figures and events into a work of fiction, you'll love this book.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (adithyajones)
    Heresy by S. J. Parris (cbl_tn)
    Mortal Mischief by Frank Tallis (heidialice)
    heidialice: Also published as "Death in Vienna", "Mortal Mischief" is the first in a series of historical fiction murder mysteries set in Vienna, with Freud as a minor character.
    The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (adithyajones)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones)

English (118)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  German (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
I really thought this book would never end. Literally. 360 pages and it felt like I was reading a 4000 page tome. The story had potential. REAL POTENTIAL. However it took nearly 100 pages before the story ever really began. The first canticle (it has 3) was more about the poets/authors in the book talking about their works and how they this, and how they are that. I didn't care. It would supposed to be a murder mystery...not a book where I think the author took time to just talk about the poets he liked the most by disguising it in a fiction story. UGH. The second canticle was just more idle chatter. Yeah some murders took place and there was a an attempt to make progress on the story.. but it was just terrible. Third canticle? Vaguely remember it too. Except the end. I remember it because it signified me finally reaching the end. Huzzah.

1. This book was incredibly too wordy. There was SO MUCH FILLER text. It was unneeded crap. Unneeded descriptions. Ramblings about the authors that were not important to the story. Just FILLER. Yes, the book was set in the mid 1800s and the language was a bit different because it was written in the language style of that period. BUT STILL. People from the mid-1800s would have read this and said "jeeze just most on already."

2. Dante was the plot of this story. The story depended on it. I just felt it could have been done in a better way. Only portions of Inferno was actually discussed and it wasn't as if they took the entirety of the Inferno and it work. I figured it would be more. *shrug*

3. The characters are forgettable and easily confused. There were quite a few characters that weren't even important...They just made it harder to figure out who was who. Granted your main characters I knew..but whatever.

There is really no need to read this book. It long, drawn-out, boring and dull. I will probably get lots of flack about it but I don't care. I feel like reading this was a form of torture. Yeah, I chose to read in on my own accord (with a recommendation from a friend lol) but you will never have to worry about me suggesting it to other. Quite the opposite I'll tell them to read something else and save time. Sorry. I didn't like this book at all. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
[CEDUTO] Una 'pizza' per il cinema, data la caratterizzazione dei personaggi, nonche' il loro numero e le digressioni cosi' inutili. Libro che anche sotto l'ombrellone è noioso. Finito solo per sapere chi era il colpevole, molte pagine sono saltabili senza nulla togliere al pathos. Una versione da 8 pagine, se esistesse, sarebbe di gran lunga sufficente. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
I suspect people who normally like criminal mystery will hate this one. I usually find that genre dull (with a few exceptions, Conan Doyle the foremost) but this book was interesting. It is more historical fiction than mystery, and more education than light reading.

pan0ramix | Nov 27, 2014 |
This book started out very slowly for me. It did pick up, and I enjoyed the interactions between the poets. I did find the beginning unnecessary-the present day part. It was completely irrelevant in my opinion. This book did cause me to look up biographical information about Longfellow, Lowell, and Holmes. It is an interesting enough read, but I can't overwhelmingly recommend it. ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
I was hesitant at first--it took a few chapters to get into Pearl's style and the era of the novel. Once in, though, I was hooked and eager to keep reading to solve the mystery of who was trying to punish/kill people in true Dantean style. It was also amusing to have all these really famous authors interact.

A worthwhile read that has even given me the motivation to attempt (again) to read The Divine Comedy.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
To Lino, my professor, and Ian, my teacher
John Kurtz, the chief of the Boston police, breathed in some of his heft for a better fit between the two chambermaids.
The proof of poetry was... that it reduced to the essence of a single line the vague philosophy that floated in all men's minds, so as to render it portable and useful, ready to the hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549038X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times Bestseller

Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante’s Inferno. Only an elite group of America’s first Dante scholars—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields—can solve the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante’s literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:21 -0400)

In 1865, the preparations of the Dante Club--led by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Oliver Wendell Holmes--to release the first translation of Dante's "The Divine Comedy" are threatened by a series of murders that re-create episodes from "Inferno."

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible