The Dante Club: A Novel by Matthew Pearl

The Dante Club: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Matthew Pearl

Member:jnelson4
Title:The Dante Club: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:Ballantine Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:**

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl (2003)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: 19th century New York with a serial killer - better than this one.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (iubookgirl)
    iubookgirl: If you enjoy books that weave real historical figures and events into a work of fiction, you'll love this book.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (adithyajones)
    Heresy by S. J. Parris (cbl_tn)
    Mortal Mischief by Frank Tallis (heidialice)
    heidialice: Also published as "Death in Vienna", "Mortal Mischief" is the first in a series of historical fiction murder mysteries set in Vienna, with Freud as a minor character.
    The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (adithyajones)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones)

English (118)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  German (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
This was a very gripping reading. In mid 19th century some scholars and writers of poems were at the task to translate Dante's [25918::Inferno]. At the same time horrible murder cases started in Boston and the police was in the dark. In the end the police wasn't anymore interested to find the true murderer only Nicholas Rey the first African-American policeman didn't let go of these cases. By and by the Dante Club recognise that this cases were related with their translation. Time is running. Everybody seemed a step behind the murderer and more friends and acquaintances looked to be in danger or were victims. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 13, 2015 |
[CEDUTO] Una 'pizza' per il cinema, data la caratterizzazione dei personaggi, nonche' il loro numero e le digressioni cosi' inutili. Libro che anche sotto l'ombrellone è noioso. Finito solo per sapere chi era il colpevole, molte pagine sono saltabili senza nulla togliere al pathos. Una versione da 8 pagine, se esistesse, sarebbe di gran lunga sufficente. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
I suspect people who normally like criminal mystery will hate this one. I usually find that genre dull (with a few exceptions, Conan Doyle the foremost) but this book was interesting. It is more historical fiction than mystery, and more education than light reading.

pan0ramix | Nov 27, 2014 |
This book started out very slowly for me. It did pick up, and I enjoyed the interactions between the poets. I did find the beginning unnecessary-the present day part. It was completely irrelevant in my opinion. This book did cause me to look up biographical information about Longfellow, Lowell, and Holmes. It is an interesting enough read, but I can't overwhelmingly recommend it. ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
I was hesitant at first--it took a few chapters to get into Pearl's style and the era of the novel. Once in, though, I was hooked and eager to keep reading to solve the mystery of who was trying to punish/kill people in true Dantean style. It was also amusing to have all these really famous authors interact.

A worthwhile read that has even given me the motivation to attempt (again) to read The Divine Comedy.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
To Lino, my professor, and Ian, my teacher
John Kurtz, the chief of the Boston police, breathed in some of his heft for a better fit between the two chambermaids.
The proof of poetry was... that it reduced to the essence of a single line the vague philosophy that floated in all men's minds, so as to render it portable and useful, ready to the hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549038X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times Bestseller

Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante’s Inferno. Only an elite group of America’s first Dante scholars—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields—can solve the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante’s literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:21 -0400)

In 1865, the preparations of the Dante Club--led by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Oliver Wendell Holmes--to release the first translation of Dante's "The Divine Comedy" are threatened by a series of murders that re-create episodes from "Inferno."

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,123,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible