The Dante Club: A Novel by Matthew Pearl

The Dante Club: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Matthew Pearl

Member:cmbohn
Title:The Dante Club: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:Ballantine Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:historical, mystery, war, Boston, Massachusetts, Harvard, serial killer, poetry, Dante, religion, 19th century

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl (2003)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: 19th century New York with a serial killer - better than this one.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (iubookgirl)
    iubookgirl: If you enjoy books that weave real historical figures and events into a work of fiction, you'll love this book.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (adithyajones)
    Heresy by S. J. Parris (cbl_tn)
    A Death in Vienna: A Novel (Mortalis) by Frank Tallis (heidialice)
    heidialice: Also published as "Death in Vienna", "Mortal Mischief" is the first in a series of historical fiction murder mysteries set in Vienna, with Freud as a minor character.
    The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (adithyajones)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones)

English (123)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  German (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (140)
So disappointing. This book takes forever to get where it's going- and it's not really all that great once you finally get there. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Good characters and plot but a bit wordy when it comes to descriptions for my taste ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
I thought this book was great, but a little long-winded in some parts. There are times the author strays from the storyline to explain in detail things that aren't necessarily important to the book.

However, in the end, when I finally finished it, I did realize I enjoyed it. I understood it on a much more serious level though, because before reading this, I read Divine Comedy by Dante (also on my shelf) so I understood the significance of a lot of the murders. I was suprised Pearl didn't have more murders happen as there are plenty of punishments to choose from in Inferno.

However, I do believe that a reader does NOT HAVE TO read Divine Comedy before reading Dante Club. It only helps to better understand the entirely of the realm of Hell and how Dante reacted to it.

Overall, a good fiction piece for those who like a little history with their fantasy. ( )
  elle-kay | Jan 27, 2016 |
This an interesting take on historical fiction. A group of scholars translating Inferno (written by Dante) tries to solve a string of murders mimicking the tortures from Inferno when the police can't figure it out. Written at a high level, but a pretty good story nonetheless. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Zzzzzzzz. ( )
1 vote middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
To Lino, my professor, and Ian, my teacher
John Kurtz, the chief of the Boston police, breathed in some of his heft for a better fit between the two chambermaids.
The proof of poetry was... that it reduced to the essence of a single line the vague philosophy that floated in all men's minds, so as to render it portable and useful, ready to the hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549038X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times Bestseller

Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante’s Inferno. Only an elite group of America’s first Dante scholars—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields—can solve the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante’s literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:21 -0400)

In 1865 Boston, an elite group of American Dante scholars, including Oliver Wendell Holmes and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, is called upon to solve a series of murders inspired by scenes in Dante's "Inferno."

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,118,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible