The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

The Dante Club (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Matthew Pearl

Member:bgottry
Title:The Dante Club
Authors:Matthew Pearl
Info:
Tags:Fiction Suspense Literary

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl (2003)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: 19th century New York with a serial killer - better than this one.
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (iubookgirl)
    iubookgirl: If you enjoy books that weave real historical figures and events into a work of fiction, you'll love this book.
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (adithyajones)
    Heresy by S. J. Parris (cbl_tn)
    Mortal Mischief by Frank Tallis (heidialice)
    heidialice: Also published as "Death in Vienna", "Mortal Mischief" is the first in a series of historical fiction murder mysteries set in Vienna, with Freud as a minor character.
    The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (adithyajones)
    My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (adithyajones)

English (115)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  German (3)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (132)
This book started out very slowly for me. It did pick up, and I enjoyed the interactions between the poets. I did find the beginning unnecessary-the present day part. It was completely irrelevant in my opinion. This book did cause me to look up biographical information about Longfellow, Lowell, and Holmes. It is an interesting enough read, but I can't overwhelmingly recommend it. ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
I was hesitant at first--it took a few chapters to get into Pearl's style and the era of the novel. Once in, though, I was hooked and eager to keep reading to solve the mystery of who was trying to punish/kill people in true Dantean style. It was also amusing to have all these really famous authors interact.

A worthwhile read that has even given me the motivation to attempt (again) to read The Divine Comedy.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Dante's Inferno anyone? Let's find out how close America was to never reading this most famous work of literature.
  lseitz | Jul 1, 2014 |
{Nick's first suggestion / loan to me}
  SNO24601 | Mar 25, 2014 |
To Lino, my professor, and Ian, my teacher
John Kurtz, the chief of the Boston police, breathed in some of his heft for a better fit between the two chambermaids.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034549038X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times Bestseller

Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante’s Inferno. Only an elite group of America’s first Dante scholars—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields—can solve the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante’s literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:29 -0400)

"In 1865 Boston, the literary geniuses of the Dante Club - poets and Harvard professors Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes, and James Russell Lowell, along with publisher J. T. Fields - are finishing America's first translation of The Divine Comedy and preparing to unveil Dante's remarkable visions to the New World. The powerful Boston Brahmins at Harvard College are fighting to keep Dante in obscurity, believing that the infiltration of foreign superstitions into American minds will prove as corrupting as the immigrants arriving at Boston Harbor." "The members of the Dante Club fight to keep a sacred literary cause alive, but their plans fall apart when a series of murders erupts through Boston and Cambridge. Only this small group of scholars realizes that the gruesome killings are modeled on the descriptions of Hell's punishments from Dante's Inferno. With the lives of the Boston elite and Dante's literary future in America at stake, the Dante Club members must find the killer before the authorities discover their secret." "Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes and an outcast police officer named Nicholas Rey, the first black member of the Boston police department, must place their careers on the line to end the terror. Together, they discover that the source of the murders lies closer to home than they ever could have imagined."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible