Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Howard Chaykin

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Howard Chaykin, Mike Mignola (Illustrator), Al Wiiliamson (Inker)

205457,211 (3.61)None
Member:TheoClarke
Title:Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Authors:Howard Chaykin
Other authors:Mike Mignola (Illustrator), Al Wiiliamson (Inker)
Info:Dark Horse (2007), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 200 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:20th century, 21st century, comic strip, fantasy, fiction, first edition, imaginary world, magic, paperback, published 1991, sword and sorcery, US author

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser by Howard Chaykin (Adapter) (2007)

Fafhrd, a burly barbarian from the North, and The Gray Mouser, a lanky thief from the innercity befriend and encomrade each other [and ladies of the night] one drunken night. Whilst bonding and collecting further means of intoxication, the lives of their newly met women-folk are stolen along with the material treasures of The Gray Mouser's thievely den. Bosom buddies they instantly become, and through thick and thin rage side-by-side in the grueling quest to avenge their women. Sorcery and witchcraft are thier enemies -- charm, luck, and skill their allies. To what ends will these heroes climb to have their hearts stilled? ( )
  chantienyee | Jun 12, 2010 |
Not bad. I don't really like the pair - fascinated somewhat, but I spend too much of my time saying 'What?' when I'm reading their stories to actually enjoy them. This is a very nice adaptation - true to the stories, especially the parts that make me say 'What?'. I don't remember if any of these stories are actually in the books - I'm pretty sure I haven't ever read the story in the back, which is a prequel of sorts - Fafhrd as a boy. The others seem vaguely familiar, but not distinguishably so - I don't know if they're Leiber stories or just good imitations. It's been a while since I read a Lankhmar story. Interesting but not absorbing. I'll look for other books, if this series goes on. Fafhrd looks right but the Gray Mouser keeps surprising me - I figure out after the fact that that picture is supposed to represent him. Generally nicely drawn, though - good representations of Lankhmar, Sheelba, Ningauble, etc. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Jan 8, 2010 |
A sympathetic comics adaptation of Fritz Leiber's witty seminal swords & sorcery series. ( )
1 vote TheoClarke | Jul 29, 2009 |
I'm sorry to say that I have not read any Fritz Leiber yet, but I am familiar with the sword and sorcery genre of the 1930's and 40's, and I must say that they make perfect source material for comic adaptations. Chaykin parses down the long-winded imagery of original style into quick, snappy, and funny dialog which perfectly complement Mignola's art, which is both whimsical and dark. His art is in many ways superior to that he did in his Hellboy series. If you are in for some slinging of blades and tongues, try out this stunning, sexy volume. ( )
1 vote Magus_Manders | Dec 10, 2007 |

Chaykin, HowardAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leiber, FritzOriginal authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mignola, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williamson, AlInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heisler, MichaelLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkenburgh, Sherlyn vanColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
This is a comic book adaptation of Fritz Lieber books. Please, do not combine this with the prose books.

The adventures of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser in the fantastic land of Nehwon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,531,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible