The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol.…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Alan Moore

Member:DeSelby
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2
Authors:Alan Moore
Info:DC Comics (2011), Paperback, 228 pages

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2 by Alan Moore (2002)

A Blazing World: The Unofficial Companion to the Second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Jess Nevins (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: A Blazing World is a book-length annotation for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 2.

English (27)  Swedish (1)  All languages (28)
Here we have the second tale of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. This is for the hardcover collected edition of Volume II.

The second volume picks up almost directly after the events of the first in July 1898. However, this time the story begins on Mars. We have the meeting of two famous human adventurers on Mars, Gulliver and John Carter, planning a final battle against a common foe. This common foe turns out to be the "Martians" from H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.

The events from there follow the basic invasion story from Wells, exploring the League's involvement and once again filling the story with myriad references to other works, including the Island of Dr. Moreau. Moreau, as it turns out, holds the key to defeating the alien invaders.

Moore and O'Neill bring another solid piece of crossover fiction with the second volume of the League, and with such large-scale stakes on the line, not everyone is coming out of this one unscathed.

Along with the main story, Moore and O'Neill create a backup feature which explores the world in which the League exists. Through "The New Traveler's Almanac," we see the various incarnations of the League (from "Prospero's Men," to Gulliver's League, and Mina Murray's current version) travel the world and visit the strange, exotic locales within it. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 25, 2015 |
This time the main story lines are drawn from HG Wells’ War of the Worlds and The Island of Doctor Moreau, with of course many more references besides. The Martian tripods invade, and the League is tasked with retrieving “something" from a mysterious doctor to stop them, but one of their number turns traitor and conspires with the alien invaders. The traitor’s fate is very much unpleasant.

So, what’s in store for our “heroes” in the League, this time? During the constant danger of the Martian Invasion, Hyde gains total power over Dr. Jekyll (who has been wasting away) and shows some surprising character growth while remaining utterly monstrous. Allan Quartermain and Miss Murray’s relationship progresses in a perhaps surprising fashion. Captain Nemo is there, but largely ignored by the narrative, which is really too bad. Griffin’s story arc could have used some more development as well, like why did he betray them - JUST to be a dick? We could done with a LITTLE more motivation for him, and a little less of the sex-stuff between Quartermain and Murray, IMO.

But in some ways, the back of the book is the best part, as it contains an Almanac of the world of the League, wherein creatures and countries from all stories are real! This dense reading includes references to TONS of literature, from Shakespeare’s Tempest, to Lewis Carroll’s Alice books (and the Hunting of the Snark), to Arthurian legend, Virginia Woolf’s Orlando and Voltaire’s Candide, (and more!!!) with nods to dozens of myths and fairy tales, and references to works by American authors such as Edgar Alan Poe, Shirley Jackson (!!), Frank Baum, HP Lovecraft . . . the list goes on and on. Alan Moore seems to have read everything! Seriously, everything. I know that I did not catch or understand all of his references, and I suspect you would need an entire book to list and explain them all, but I did find myself jotting down a few notes of interesting-sounding things I want to look up. So, thank you, Mr. Moore, for having read everything, ever, and for inspiring me to try and seek out some of it, myself. ( )
  catfantastic | May 9, 2015 |
I actually kind of liked this one better than the first. ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
I did see the movie years ago so I had a general knowledge of the characters which is pretty much all the two had in common. It was okay. I liked the art style but couldn't get into the story. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Another watered down affair - the same motley of fav-characters crew is at work. However, this time their role to prevent the calamity remained limited. Instead new things happen - Allan Quatermain and Mina Murray indulge themselves. Hawley Griffin assaults Mina and pays for it with his life. The calamity this time is the invasion of the aliens - an interest but too oft-repeated concept - leaves me cold. Except those few vivid scarlet, colourful illustrations and three-legged apparitions - there is nothing else I remember about the story. At the end of the book, only two (or, three? I can't remember what happened to Nemo.) of the crew remain - indicating a thankful end of a forgettable series.
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gullivar. Schön, Sie wiederzusehen.
Neuer Almanach für Reiselustige: Wir freuen uns, unseren Lesern ausgewählte Berichte und Reisedokumente zugänglich machen zu können, die von verschiedenen Agenten des britischen Geheimdienstes im Laufe dreier Jahrhunderte gesammelt wurden,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184023668X, Hardcover)

When alien invaders find they no longer have use for Mars, they set their many eyes upon a new blue-green prize - Earth. Soon, giant cylinders are falling across the planet, from which emerges an invasion force of unstoppable tripodal nightmares.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

"The beleaguered London of 1898 has barely had time to assess the injuries of recent conflagrations in its lower class districts when a new threat arrives, falling from the upper atmosphere in gargantuan metal cylinders that leading scientists claim have travelled from the planet Mars! Once again a call goes out through the channels of British Military Intelligence to an improbable group of champions: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Allan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Hawley Griffin, Dr. Henry Jekyll, Mr. Edward Hyde and Miss Mina Murray are those champions, and they must rise to the occasion of their country's dire need, risking life and limb and disregarding all sense of personal propriety. But will even their best efforts be enough against a threat so horrific that it nearly defies description?"--P.4 of cover… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,951,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible