Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence

The Rainbow (1915)

by D. H. Lawrence

Series: Brangwen Family (1)

3,285332,460 (3.66)1 / 134

English (30)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
The Rainbow, follows the lives and loves of three generations of the Brangwen family, between 1840 and 1905. Their tempestuous relationships are played out against a backdrop of change as they witness the arrival of industrialization.
  JRCornell | Dec 8, 2018 |
(Original Review, 2002-06-10)

Lawrence is "uneven," but of the four novels I've read by him, "The Rainbow" is the best. I read "Sons and Lovers" at the British Council. I loved it at 15, but loved it far less 2 years later. I liked "Lady Chatterley's Lover" more than I thought I would, but that maybe because of all the scorn I'd heard poured on it before I read the book. I read "The Rainbow" before I read "Women in Love", and found the first of the diptych far superior to the second. Women in Love often seemed to me to read like Lawrence at his overblown, blood flowing, loin thrusting worst. It disappointed me, in large part, because I thought it would be more like "The Rainbow", which seems a far more measured book to me. I agree with what a number of people have already said about Lawrence's depiction of nature in "The Rainbow", but it also seems to me a novel that could only have been written by an author from a working-class background. I can't think of another novel from that period that captures so well the complexities of working-class life, the alliances, and differences, between working-class people, and the difficulties and tensions experienced by those who make it out of the working-class into a middle-class life. It's those moments in the novel that stood out for me, and they are the reasons I see it as the best of Lawrence's novels.

I'm among those cited in this article who devoured DHL in adolescence and found, on returning to his novels decades later, that they seemed almost unreadable in their fevered emotional immaturity. On second reading, the most interesting thing to me about “The Rainbow” and “Women in Love” was DHL's unique dialogue. I finally decided that his dialogue is written as if the internal thoughts of the characters were literally printed on the paper, as opposed to the more realistic way in which we translate those thoughts into everyday speech. Clearly, it’s a matter of taste but if nothing else. ( )
  antao | Nov 27, 2018 |
Enjoyed this slow meander through the three generations of the Brangwen family. ( )
  brakketh | Aug 14, 2018 |
“Nevertheless, it was begun now, this passion, and must go on, the passion of Ursula to know her own maximum self, limited and so defined against him. She could limit and define herself against him, the male, she could be her maximum self, female, oh female, triumphant for one moment in exquisite assertion against the male, in supreme contradistinction to the male.”

King of the comma splice. It took a bit to adjust reading this aloud, with all the odd breaks, clauses that had no right being connected, and repetitive phrases more redundant than redundant phrases repeating. Someone should’ve told Mr. Lawrence that switching the word order or changing the tense doesn’t necessarily make the idea any more novel. God knows I’m a massive employer of epizeuxes and anaphora, but Lawrence almost seems at times to use these devices in search of a different word, and just kept running with it, running and running, massively employing those devices. It’s kind of fucking annoying. And the hot and cold and hot again, cold again relationships—for all three generations, mind you—is equally irritating.

However, there are moments of dark and brilliant beauty, both—the dissolution before the rainbow and the realization of one’s own burgeoning strength after seeing that spectral arc in the sky. I wanted to like this more. At times, I loved it. At others, the wife and I groaned together. I’d so much rather moan than groan. Hey, wait . . . I think Lawrence would’ve appreciated that distinction. Whatever the impact or lack thereof, ebbing and cascading all the way to the end of the book, I appreciated his consistency for such odd stylization; even if Stendhal did it better. But then again, I’d hardly describe anything I’ve read by Stendhal as being beautiful, whereas Lawrence . . . yeah, so there is undeniably a power to it all. ( )
1 vote ToddSherman | Nov 13, 2017 |
2½ stars for the audiobook edition narrated by Paul Slack.

I didn't care for this book but if you like D.H. Lawrence, you probably would like this. His writing style & main themes irritate me so my main feeling on finishing this is relief that I am done. The characters don't seem like any people I have ever met & Lawrence has some strange ideas about sex & women.

For me, the most interesting parts were when Ursula Brangwen is working as a school teacher (without any kind of training!). Having taught myself, I was amused that some things apparently never change, such as the principal/headmaster's fear of pushy &/or complaining parents. Other aspects have clearly changed for the better - no more canings! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 26, 2017 |

D. H. Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fernihough, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, BarbaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinkead-Weekes, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worthen, Johnsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To else
The Brangwens had lived for generations on the Marsh Farm, in the meadows where the Erewash twisted sluggishly through alder trees, separating Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

A novel, which chronicles the lines of three generations of the Brangwen family over a period of 60 years, set against the emergence of modern England.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

A novel depicting the sensual experiences of the blond, slow-speaking Brangmens who for generations have lived on Marsh Farm in Nottinghamshire.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,492,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible