The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence

The Rainbow (1915)

by D. H. Lawrence

Series: Brangwen Family (1)

3,213301,732 (3.68)1 / 131

English (27)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (30)
“Nevertheless, it was begun now, this passion, and must go on, the passion of Ursula to know her own maximum self, limited and so defined against him. She could limit and define herself against him, the male, she could be her maximum self, female, oh female, triumphant for one moment in exquisite assertion against the male, in supreme contradistinction to the male.”

King of the comma splice. It took a bit to adjust reading this aloud, with all the odd breaks, clauses that had no right being connected, and repetitive phrases more redundant than redundant phrases repeating. Someone should’ve told Mr. Lawrence that switching the word order or changing the tense doesn’t necessarily make the idea any more novel. God knows I’m a massive employer of epizeuxes and anaphora, but Lawrence almost seems at times to use these devices in search of a different word, and just kept running with it, running and running, massively employing those devices. It’s kind of fucking annoying. And the hot and cold and hot again, cold again relationships—for all three generations, mind you—is equally irritating.

However, there are moments of dark and brilliant beauty, both—the dissolution before the rainbow and the realization of one’s own burgeoning strength after seeing that spectral arc in the sky. I wanted to like this more. At times, I loved it. At others, the wife and I groaned together. I’d so much rather moan than groan. Hey, wait . . . I think Lawrence would’ve appreciated that distinction. Whatever the impact or lack thereof, ebbing and cascading all the way to the end of the book, I appreciated his consistency for such odd stylization; even if Stendhal did it better. But then again, I’d hardly describe anything I’ve read by Stendhal as being beautiful, whereas Lawrence . . . yeah, so there is undeniably a power to it all. ( )
1 vote ToddSherman | Nov 13, 2017 |
2½ stars for the audiobook edition narrated by Paul Slack.

I didn't care for this book but if you like D.H. Lawrence, you probably would like this. His writing style & main themes irritate me so my main feeling on finishing this is relief that I am done. The characters don't seem like any people I have ever met & Lawrence has some strange ideas about sex & women.

For me, the most interesting parts were when Ursula Brangwen is working as a school teacher (without any kind of training!). Having taught myself, I was amused that some things apparently never change, such as the principal/headmaster's fear of pushy &/or complaining parents. Other aspects have clearly changed for the better - no more canings! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 26, 2017 |
Hard going, gave up half way through ( )
  lusciouslil | Aug 19, 2016 |
Relationships viewed as power struggles & love hate affairs, all through the prism of class.
Read Mar 2005 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 30, 2015 |
Three books into working my way chronologically through Lawrence’s novels, and he’s yet to move outside of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire (I’ve also read the later Lady Chatterley’s Lover, which also takes place in Notts). The Rainbow follows the Brangwen family through several generations, from the 1840s through to 1905. It starts with the family patriarch before eventually settling on Ursula, who comes of age at the turn of the century, is fiercely ambitious, and ends up teaching at a local school. It’s a more structured novel than The White Peacock and Sons and Lovers, although only inasmuch as the passage of years provides a framework for the story – it still has a tendency to randomly move from one member of the family to another, and it’s not always clear where the novel’s focus lies. But Lawrence’s descriptive prose, particularly in regard to the landscape, shines; and he brings his usual detailed, if occasionally heavy-handed, eye to the emotional landscapes of his cast. I set out to work my way through Lawrence’s oeuvre because a read of Lady Chatterley’s Lover persuaded me I’d been missing out by avoiding him, and because my father was a huge Lawrence fan. The more I’ve read, the more I too have become a fan of his writing – and collecting the books is fun too, of course. ( )
  iansales | Jul 24, 2015 |

D. H. Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fernihough, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, BarbaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinkead-Weekes, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worthen, Johnsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To else
The Brangwens had lived for generations on the Marsh Farm, in the meadows where the Erewash twisted sluggishly through alder trees, separating Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

A novel, which chronicles the lines of three generations of the Brangwen family over a period of 60 years, set against the emergence of modern England.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

"Chronicles the lives of three generations of the Brangwen family, setting them against the emergence of modern England. This work examines the relationships and the conflicts they bring, and the inextricable mingling of the physical and the spiritual"--NoveList.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,172,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible