The Rainbow (English Library) by D. H.…

The Rainbow (English Library) (original 1915; edition 1982)

by D. H. Lawrence, John Worthen (Editor)

2,646None2,247 (3.72)92
Member:David_Cain
Title:The Rainbow (English Library)
Authors:D. H. Lawrence
Other authors:John Worthen (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (1982), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:*****

The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (1915)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
David Lodge's blurb for this is: "Lawrence is the most Dostoevskian of English novelists." He means that both sides of an ideological dispute get their say; here, individual vs community, religion vs materialism, idealism vs realism all get played out in the consciousness of individual characters. They occasionally talk to each other, but mainly they feel or think in a rather disconnected and puzzling manner. Lodge might also have said D.H. was Dostoevskian in the sense that he desperately needs an editor, that his books are repetitive (sometimes interestingly, sometimes mindlessly), and that his characters are less characters and more personifications of specific emotions, which, in the face of all my English Lit training (i.e., demands that we not trace books back to the author's mind), I will say are probably leftover from the author's adolescence. In short, if you want a picture of a world in which everyone is either a robot or a teenager, this is a pretty good depiction. That doesn't mean that robots and teenagers aren't interesting. Just that sometimes I really wanted a rational, free adult to have their say. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
This one was okay. If you’re looking for a classic English novel there are a lot better ones to choose from. My main complaint is that there would be a whole section devoted to one generation, but once you moved onto the next section with the next generation there would hardly be any mention of the first set of characters. At one point there was mention of one of the characters from the first section, only to let you know that they had died two years prior. It seemed really abrupt, like Lawrence got sick of the characters he’d written about and wanted to focus on and introduce some new ones – reader be damned! I guess [Women in Love] is a sequel devoted to two of the younger Brangwens so I’ll be reading that at some point to what happens to them. ( )
  aliciamay | Apr 18, 2013 |
I thought that the first half, describing the early life of Anna, was great. Through 'Anna Victorix', I would have said that this was one of the best books I had ever read. The writing was beautiful and very moving at times. The characters were very sympathetic and, in this book, that mattered greatly for me. The second half, which described the early life of Ursula was not as satisfying. There were wonderful scenes and some more beautiful writing, but the storyline seemed awkward and forced at times. At the end, Ursula carries much of the weight of communicating the author's view of industrial society, but she is so changable and relies so much of emotion that she is not a reliable, or maybe just not a convincing, voice by the end. ( )
  barringer | Apr 2, 2013 |
At times less, at times more infuriating than Women in Love. Worth it certainly for the excruciating portraits of people grinding out a life in jobs and relationships they hate. Surely the last Lawrence I'll ever have to read, surely? ( )
  idlerking | Mar 31, 2013 |
Though I related more to the characters in this text (in comparison to Sons & Lovers), especially Ursula, I felt that it was somehow...lacking?
I enjoyed seeing contrasts between the couples and their anguish in trying to fully connect with one another. I know that the Cathedrals were an important motif in this novel, but I didn't feel that they spoke to me. Of course, judging merit solely on my relationship with the work is rather foolish. From what I understand, the contents of this book were very controversial at the time it was authored, which does not surprise me. Its take on nationalism and its forthright, beautiful sensuality alone make it worth reading. The depth with which Lawrence goes into each character's wants, fears and very essence act as a bonus, and for me, a reason to delve more into his oeuvre. Though slow at times, this was a great way to spend a few evenings. ( )
  laurelei | Mar 31, 2013 |
To else
The Brangwens had lived for generations on the Marsh Farm, in the meadows where the Erewash twisted sluggishly through alder trees, separating Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Lydia
1m Lensky
2m Tom Brangwen (br Will)
Daughter: Anna
Sons: Tom (d in flood), Fred (m Laura)

Anna m Will Brangwen
Children:
Ursula (eng Anton Skrebensky)
Gudrun, Theresa, Christine, Billy, Cassandra

Winifred Ingram m Tom Brangwen (uncle to Ursula)

A novel, which chronicles the lines of three generations of the Brangwen family over a period of 60 years, set against the emergence of modern England.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:37 -0400)

Lawrence's classic novel chronicles the lives of three generations of the Brangwen family in Nottinghamshire. Increasingly, the story focuses on Ursula, and follows her development through adolescence and early womanhood. Previous ed.: 2000.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible