The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence

The Rainbow (original 1915; edition 2011)

by D.H. Lawrence

3,227312,451 (3.67)1 / 133
Member:SnoeckStefan
Title:The Rainbow
Authors:D.H. Lawrence
Info:Empire Books (2011), Paperback, 342 pages

The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (1915)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
Enjoyed this slow meander through the three generations of the Brangwen family. ( )
  brakketh | Aug 14, 2018 |
“Nevertheless, it was begun now, this passion, and must go on, the passion of Ursula to know her own maximum self, limited and so defined against him. She could limit and define herself against him, the male, she could be her maximum self, female, oh female, triumphant for one moment in exquisite assertion against the male, in supreme contradistinction to the male.”

King of the comma splice. It took a bit to adjust reading this aloud, with all the odd breaks, clauses that had no right being connected, and repetitive phrases more redundant than redundant phrases repeating. Someone should’ve told Mr. Lawrence that switching the word order or changing the tense doesn’t necessarily make the idea any more novel. God knows I’m a massive employer of epizeuxes and anaphora, but Lawrence almost seems at times to use these devices in search of a different word, and just kept running with it, running and running, massively employing those devices. It’s kind of fucking annoying. And the hot and cold and hot again, cold again relationships—for all three generations, mind you—is equally irritating.

However, there are moments of dark and brilliant beauty, both—the dissolution before the rainbow and the realization of one’s own burgeoning strength after seeing that spectral arc in the sky. I wanted to like this more. At times, I loved it. At others, the wife and I groaned together. I’d so much rather moan than groan. Hey, wait . . . I think Lawrence would’ve appreciated that distinction. Whatever the impact or lack thereof, ebbing and cascading all the way to the end of the book, I appreciated his consistency for such odd stylization; even if Stendhal did it better. But then again, I’d hardly describe anything I’ve read by Stendhal as being beautiful, whereas Lawrence . . . yeah, so there is undeniably a power to it all. ( )
1 vote ToddSherman | Nov 13, 2017 |
2½ stars for the audiobook edition narrated by Paul Slack.

I didn't care for this book but if you like D.H. Lawrence, you probably would like this. His writing style & main themes irritate me so my main feeling on finishing this is relief that I am done. The characters don't seem like any people I have ever met & Lawrence has some strange ideas about sex & women.

For me, the most interesting parts were when Ursula Brangwen is working as a school teacher (without any kind of training!). Having taught myself, I was amused that some things apparently never change, such as the principal/headmaster's fear of pushy &/or complaining parents. Other aspects have clearly changed for the better - no more canings! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 26, 2017 |
Hard going, gave up half way through ( )
  lusciouslil | Aug 19, 2016 |
Relationships viewed as power struggles & love hate affairs, all through the prism of class.
Read Mar 2005 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 30, 2015 |

D. H. Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fernihough, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, BarbaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinkead-Weekes, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worthen, Johnsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To else
The Brangwens had lived for generations on the Marsh Farm, in the meadows where the Erewash twisted sluggishly through alder trees, separating Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

A novel, which chronicles the lines of three generations of the Brangwen family over a period of 60 years, set against the emergence of modern England.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

A novel depicting the sensual experiences of the blond, slow-speaking Brangmens who for generations have lived on Marsh Farm in Nottinghamshire.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,924,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible