Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by…

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1994)

by John Berendt

Recently added bySashshearman, private library, Maybelline, j.alice
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

English (185)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (187)
Loved it, the only book I have that's assigned copy, I even took the tour in Savannah. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
I was disappointed in this book. I didn't dislike it; it had some charm; but, in the end, I found it forgettable. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Good and evocative of Southern life...particularly that life which, like the Victorians, has a dark under belly. ( )
  Kelley.Logan | Jan 16, 2015 |
Elegant and wicked.... Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil might be the first true-crime book that makes the reader want to book a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend at the scene of the crime.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

John Berendtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eastwood (director), ClintDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
He was tall, about fifty, with darkly handsome, almost sinister features: a neatly trimmed mustache, hair turning silver at the temples, and eyes so black they were like the tinted windows of a sleek limousine - he could see out, but you couldn't see in.
These, then, were the images in my mental gazetteer of Savannah: rum-drinking pirates, strong-willed women, courtly manners, eccentric behaviour, gentle words, and lovely music. That and the beauty of the name itself: Savannah.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679751521, Paperback)

John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been heralded as a "lyrical work of nonfiction," and the book's extremely graceful prose depictions of some of Savannah, Georgia's most colorful eccentrics--remarkable characters who could have once prospered in a William Faulkner novel or Eudora Welty short story--were certainly a critical factor in its tremendous success. (One resident into whose orbit Berendt fell, the Lady Chablis, went on to become a minor celebrity in her own right.) But equally important was Berendt's depiction of Savannah socialite Jim Williams as he stands trial for the murder of Danny Hansford, a moody, violence-prone hustler--and sometime companion to Williams--characterized by locals as a "walking streak of sex." So feel free to call it a "true crime classic" without a trace of shame.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:45 -0400)

In charming, beautiful, and wealthy old-South Savannah, Georgia, the local bad boy is shot dead inside of the opulent mansion of a gay antiques dealer, and a gripping trial follows.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,250,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible