Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by…

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1994)

by John Berendt

Recently added byCleoxcat, armc, pjpfodl, jpmariana, Katrinkadink, danb35, private library, Amandazg, mad_babbler, jselvidge
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

English (187)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (189)
Nonfiction that reads like a novel. ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |
When we went to savannah a couple years ago, I swear every local talked about this book. I've been meaning to read it ever since. So far, so good. I'm getting excited as the reporter interviews the guy in one of the mansions on our haunted house tour. I was eager for more information then and with this book I feel like it will be delivered. I'm excited. Will update later. Also, it's making me want to go back to Savannah. Bad.

Later: Would probably give 3 and a half stars. For the most part, I liked it. Very memoir-ish. Really gave the strange and beautiful flavor of the place. But there were parts I wish were left out. There's a whole section with a drag queen I could have done without. This book's main focus was on a singular event that happened at the Mercer house. I was hoping it would give me more of the history in general, but it was interesting. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Pretty decent read. Probably 3.5 stars, but what with the modern trend of grade inflation, I decided to give it 4. ( )
  crule627 | Apr 16, 2015 |
Loved it, the only book I have that's assigned copy, I even took the tour in Savannah. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
Elegant and wicked.... Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil might be the first true-crime book that makes the reader want to book a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend at the scene of the crime.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

John Berendtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
He was tall, about fifty, with darkly handsome, almost sinister features: a neatly trimmed mustache, hair turning silver at the temples, and eyes so black they were like the tinted windows of a sleek limousine - he could see out, but you couldn't see in.
These, then, were the images in my mental gazetteer of Savannah: rum-drinking pirates, strong-willed women, courtly manners, eccentric behaviour, gentle words, and lovely music. That and the beauty of the name itself: Savannah.
This is the book, not the film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679751521, Paperback)

John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been heralded as a "lyrical work of nonfiction," and the book's extremely graceful prose depictions of some of Savannah, Georgia's most colorful eccentrics--remarkable characters who could have once prospered in a William Faulkner novel or Eudora Welty short story--were certainly a critical factor in its tremendous success. (One resident into whose orbit Berendt fell, the Lady Chablis, went on to become a minor celebrity in her own right.) But equally important was Berendt's depiction of Savannah socialite Jim Williams as he stands trial for the murder of Danny Hansford, a moody, violence-prone hustler--and sometime companion to Williams--characterized by locals as a "walking streak of sex." So feel free to call it a "true crime classic" without a trace of shame.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:45 -0400)

In charming, beautiful, and wealthy old-South Savannah, Georgia, the local bad boy is shot dead inside of the opulent mansion of a gay antiques dealer, and a gripping trial follows.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible