Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by…

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (original 1994; edition 1995)

by John Berendt (Author)

Member:AmizingBookworm
Title:Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Authors:John Berendt (Author)
Info:Random House Large Print (1995), 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt (1994)

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Offering rich details of Savannah in the 1980s (Midnight in the Garden) and Chicago in the 1890s (Devil in the White City), these well-researched and dramatic recreations of terrible crimes are equally compelling, despite differences in time period and location.… (more)
    Run with the Horsemen by Ferrol Sams (libelulla1)
    libelulla1: Filled with quirky characters in a southern town.
    The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective by Kate Summerscale (libelulla1)
    libelulla1: Both are true crime told in narrative format and the crime in each is never fully explained, only speculated about.
    Murder in Mississippi by John Safran (Elcee)
    The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession by Susan Orlean (VictoriaPL)
    Without Reservation: The Making of America's Most Powerful Indian Tribe and Foxwoods, the World's Largest Casino by Jeff Benedict (jbvm)
    jbvm: This is another 'truth is stranger than fiction' work involving local politics and criminal investigation.

English (229)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (231)
Had to read this one a second time before going to Savannah again. It's the book that caused me to put Savannah on my bucketlist. ( )
  aurorapaigem | Dec 1, 2018 |
I'm leaving for a trip to Savannah in a few days, so I finally took this book off my to-read shelf and read through it. It's an interesting look at Savannah as both a Southern city and an unique place. It hinges on a murder trial, or rather, four murder trials, since the murder convictions kept getting overturned. Even through this book isn't that old (published in 1994), it also gives an interesting view on how far society has progressed on issues like homosexuality and transgender people, but it also gives this book a dated feeling. A few of the people portrayed in this book wrestle with these issues and one of my favorite characters has to be Chablis, a trans woman who faces the world with aplomb and plenty of drama. This is a great book to dig into before planning a trip to Savannah. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 24, 2018 |
I don't read a lot of non-fiction but once in a while, I get a book recommendation from someone I really trust and then I have to read it. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is so full of weird and eccentric characters that you forget you're reading a true story. It's got drag queens, invisible dogs, aging society darlings, a murder...and that's just the first half of the book. (If you've seen the movie, forget it - read the book.) Plus now I have to plan a trip to Savannah, Georgia. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Sep 7, 2018 |
Read it twenty years ago and can't recall a damn thing about it. But I don't recall disliking it, so three stars. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
It was an interesting book. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Elegant and wicked.... Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil might be the first true-crime book that makes the reader want to book a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend at the scene of the crime.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

John Berendtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
He was tall, about fifty, with darkly handsome, almost sinister features: a neatly trimmed mustache, hair turning silver at the temples, and eyes so black they were like the tinted windows of a sleek limousine—he could see out, but you couldn't see in.
These, then, were the images in my mental gazetteer of Savannah: rum-drinking pirates, strong-willed women, courtly manners, eccentric behaviour, gentle words, and lovely music. That and the beauty of the name itself: Savannah.
This is the book, not the film.

Signed copy I bought at a Goodwill in Emeryville, CA

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679751521, Paperback)

John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been heralded as a "lyrical work of nonfiction," and the book's extremely graceful prose depictions of some of Savannah, Georgia's most colorful eccentrics--remarkable characters who could have once prospered in a William Faulkner novel or Eudora Welty short story--were certainly a critical factor in its tremendous success. (One resident into whose orbit Berendt fell, the Lady Chablis, went on to become a minor celebrity in her own right.) But equally important was Berendt's depiction of Savannah socialite Jim Williams as he stands trial for the murder of Danny Hansford, a moody, violence-prone hustler--and sometime companion to Williams--characterized by locals as a "walking streak of sex." So feel free to call it a "true crime classic" without a trace of shame.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

In charming, beautiful, and wealthy old-South Savannah, Georgia, the local bad boy is shot dead inside of the opulent mansion of a gay antiques dealer, and a gripping trial follows.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,770,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible