Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by…

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (original 1994; edition 1999)

by John Berendt

9,195180325 (3.84)310
Member:abwahl1998
Title:Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Authors:John Berendt
Info:Vintage (1999), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***1/2

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt (1994)

English (178)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (180)
What an interesting microcosm Savannah is! I spent the afternoon considering the kinds of "characters" someone writing a similar book about my own city (Seattle) might be able to round up, and what conclusions they would be able to draw about the local culture. Whether the insights were valid or not it was a really compelling read, very novel-like in the way it was laid out. I don't think the author could have scripted it better himself if he'd tried.

Reading it I definitely felt transported to a different place/time - the societal mores being described felt so dated and strange at times that when pieces of technology like the Atari were mentioned it was very jarring! ( )
  okrysmastree | Oct 2, 2014 |
The fluid prose and lucious descriptions had me forgetting that I was reading non-fiction. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 1, 2014 |
I loved the book. In fact I have now added Savannah as a place I would like to travel to. Although it is labeled as non-fiction the writer did take some liberty in embellishing some of the characters actions I believe. He makes mention of it in the book. Which I did find a little disappointing. But he didn't take away from the events that happened. ( )
  PaDutchTravel | Aug 30, 2014 |
more like 3.5. Also, I wish I had realized this was nonfiction while I was reading it. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Elegant and wicked.... Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil might be the first true-crime book that makes the reader want to book a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend at the scene of the crime.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

John Berendtprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents
He was tall, about fifty, with darkly handsome, almost sinister features: a neatly trimmed mustache, hair turning silver at the temples, and eyes so black they were like the tinted windows of a sleek limousine - he could see out, but you couldn't see in.
These, then, were the images in my mental gazetteer of Savannah: rum-drinking pirates, strong-willed women, courtly manners, eccentric behaviour, gentle words, and lovely music. That and the beauty of the name itself: Savannah.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679751521, Paperback)

John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has been heralded as a "lyrical work of nonfiction," and the book's extremely graceful prose depictions of some of Savannah, Georgia's most colorful eccentrics--remarkable characters who could have once prospered in a William Faulkner novel or Eudora Welty short story--were certainly a critical factor in its tremendous success. (One resident into whose orbit Berendt fell, the Lady Chablis, went on to become a minor celebrity in her own right.) But equally important was Berendt's depiction of Savannah socialite Jim Williams as he stands trial for the murder of Danny Hansford, a moody, violence-prone hustler--and sometime companion to Williams--characterized by locals as a "walking streak of sex." So feel free to call it a "true crime classic" without a trace of shame.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:45 -0400)

In charming, beautiful, and wealthy old-South Savannah, Georgia, the local bad boy is shot dead inside of the opulent mansion of a gay antiques dealer, and a gripping trial follows.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,925,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible