Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card

Invasive Procedures

by Orson Scott Card, Aaron Johnston (Author)

4931920,740 (3.07)11

a renegade geneticist is nearing completion of his plan to 'uplift' humanity, with himself in control. A Biohazard Agency agent stops it all from going down. I suspect that Card's name was on this more for sell'ability than anything else. A nice light read. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was interesting and I don't regret reading it... but I do regret that they sold it as an OSC book when it really isn't. The writing style really shows it.

This only bothers me because I am so hesitant to spend money in a way that it gets back to him so I have been borrowing his books from the library hoping that it diffuses the money spent on the book between a lot of people and allows me to carry less culpability in furthering his political and moral crusades. But damn, I really do enjoy his tales. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Nov 18, 2015 |
Good beginning, but petered out quickly. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Not my favorite Orson Scott Card book, but I guess I shouldn't have expected his typical fantasy/sci-fi fare. Instead, this book was more like an old Crichton novel, just not as well-written or interesting. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
What would happen if/when some mad scientist could mess with our DNA and create odd fellows with coercive intent? It makes a great sci-fi story. Orson Scott Card can write books that are not related to "Ender's Game"...I'll look for more. ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 4, 2014 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnston, AaronAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
CorbisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dolores never met a Healer she didn't like until the night they took her away.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076531424X, Hardcover)

George Galen is a brilliant scientist, a pioneer in gene therapy. But Galen is dangerously insane - he has created a method to alter human DNA, not just to heal diseases, but to "improve" people - make them stronger, make them able to heal more quickly, and make them compliant to his will.

Frank Hartman is also a brilliant virologist, working for the government's ultra-secret bio-hazard agency. He has discovered how to neutralize Galen's DNA-changing virus, making him the one man who stands in the way of Galen's plan to "improve" the entire human race.

This taut thriller takes the reader a few years into the future, and shows the promise and danger of new genetic medicine techniques.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

"The Healers move in secrecy through the city streets, their huge, strong bodies hidden in dark cloaks. They bring a deadly promise to the poor of the city They can cure the incurable diseases - Parkinson's, sickle cell - and they ask for nothing in return. But the genetic therapy techniques they are using are so targeted that what will cure one can, and will, bring certain painful death to anyone else exposed." "The Healers are not doctors, not scientists. They are members of a religious cult that is ruled by their living Prophet. That man is George Galen, a brilliant scientist and a pioneer in genetic therapy But Galen is dangerously insane. He has created a method to alter human DNA, not just to heal diseases, but to "improve" people, to make them stronger, able to heal more quickly, and compliant to his will." "Frank Hartman is a brilliant virologist working for the government's ultrasecret biohazard agency. It is to Hartman that the BHA turns to find away to cure the deadly disease that keeps breaking loose in Los Angeles. He has discovered how to neutralize Galen's DNA-changing virus, making him the one man who stands in the way of Galen's plan to improve the entire human race."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,119,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible