Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection,…

Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1

by Brian Michael Bendis

I think I used to watch Spider-man cartoons, or certainly I had Spider-man somewhere in my consciousness, but I haven't seen the films (although I got a free download of the latest one for my PS Vita when I bought it, I should look into that) and I wasn't entirely clear on Spider-man lore. So the Ultimates collection seems to be a good choice for me, given that they update and clarify the origin stories as a start. And lucky me, my girlfriend has a whole stack of them.

(I hear Ultimate Cap is a dick, though. Bluh.)

Peter is a fun hero -- snarky and sassy, but not cocksure. He's sassy because he doesn't know what he's doing, he doesn't know what's happening. This volume establishes the way he gets his powers, and why he becomes a superhero. Definitely enjoyed it, and I recommend it. It's not bogged down by extraneous details, there are no other heroes muddying the waters (i.e. Young Avengers style: they're somewhat hampered by nursemaid!Cap and Iron Man), and the art is clear with all characters easily distinguishable. Peter's an adorable dork, and I'd like to see a lot more of Mary Jane. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 22, 2013 |
Likes: new view on the origin of Spider-Man.
Dislikes: The artwork didn't do it for me, different Uncle Ben story didn't quite feel right (too convenient/hard to swallow even with suspension of disbelief)
Read alikes: Any other Spider-Man title (amazing, spectacular, ultimate comics presents, etc...) ( )
  GirlsonFire | Feb 11, 2013 |
The first 13 issues from the Ultimate relaunch of Spider-Man - probably the Marvel superhero that I like the least. But I am reading the whole Ultimate line - so I am reading the Peter Parker's adventures as well.

It is a good start for new readers (and if you are familiar with the character, it is far more interesting to search for the differences between this version and the regular Earth 616 version than to read the same story again). Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man and tries to get used to that and to the double life he is leading now. Enjoyable in a strange way - I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I will - Peter seems a lot more normal in this incarnation than he ever was in the mainstream reality (with the required suspension of disbelieve needed to be able to read superhero comics).

We have the Green Goblin andthe Kingpin; Mary Jane and aunt May (and uncle Ben); the work at the newspaper (upgraded for a new century). And we have the public that is not sure if he is a hero or a villain. And we have the beginning of a love story.

There are only two times when the whole Ultimate Marvel Universe is even hinted at - when Peter asks Electro if he is a mutant (so obviously the world knows about them) and when the Kingpin is helping restore part of New York that had been destructed (and I suspect this happens in one of the other books... or not).

Overall - enjoyable even if it did not make me really care about Peter. But then as I said - I had never been a big fan. ( )
  AnnieMod | Nov 27, 2011 |
Ultimate Spider-Man is a retelling of the classic Spiderman story set in the 21st century. Peter Parker is still bitten by a spider in a lab that gives him his powers, and all of the other characters are pretty much the same, but instead of working as a freelance photographer for the Daily Bugle, Peter troubleshoots their webpage. The Green Goblin is more monstrous, Uncle Ben and Aunt May are much cooler, and the biggest difference is that Peter tells Mary Jane his secret.
This graphic novel is a great read for people unfamiliar with the Spiderman story, but it will not disappoint the long-time Spiderman readers, either. ( )
  DavidDunkerton | Apr 1, 2010 |

Collecting the groundbreaking first year of Ultimate Spider-Man in one colossal trade paperback! High school, puberty, first dances - there are many pitfalls to being young. Compound these with intense personal tragedy and superhuman powers, and you can start to visualize the world of Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man. Following the murder of his uncle and the Green Goblin's assualt on his high school, Peter finds himself on the brink of manhood: getting a job at the Daily Bugle to help support his widowed aunt and taking on extracurricular activities - such as bringing down the Kingpin, the head of organized crime in New York City! Collects Ultimate Spider-Man #1-13.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

High school, puberty, first dances -- there are many pitfalls to being young. Compound these with intense personal tragedy and super human powers, and you can start to visualize the world of Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man. Following the murder of his uncle and the Green Goblin's assault on his high school, Peter finds himself on the brink of manhood: getting a job at the Daily Bugle to help support his widowed aunt and taking on extracurricular activities -- such as bringing down the Kingpin, the head of organized crime in New York City!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,776,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible