Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H.…

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man

by H. G. Wells

Both these books are amazing and have definitely had a lasting effect on my perspective on Scifi and Spec fic (just like everyone else) ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Race Point Publishing has been putting out a series of reprints it calls The Knickerbocker Classics, which are presented in very elegant packaging, with an elastic closure and lovely cover designs. The stories reprinted here are, of course, timeless, and in addition the reader is provided with a comprehensive introduction that details the author’s life, a time-line at the end of the book, and a list of suggested further reading, including in this case a few 19th Century examples of science fiction and a somewhat longer list of books of science fiction history, biographies of the author, etc. A very handsome addition to any library! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Aug 27, 2018 |
The Time Machine: 4 stars

The father of sci-fi brings us the story of the Time Traveller. It's sensational, groundbreaking for its time, and strangely enough, has a humorous flare.

The Invisible Man: 5 stars

The Invisible Man reads like a horror novel. Thrilling, creepy, and compelling. Brings to mind Lovecraft's Re-Animator. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Aug 14, 2018 |
Considering this was written so long ago, H.G. Wells is really a master of early sci-fi writing. I really enjoyed the Time Machine (though it was heartbreaking in some ways). I recommend this one to my students and they generally actually really enjoy it (which they're surprised by, I think, since it seems to outdated). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
It's always hard to write two books at once. The Time Machine though the concept was very interesting was a rather boring read. Perhaps it is the century in which it was written? I found it a little hard to get into. The Invisible Man was better but also a little difficult to get into due to language and grammar. Both very fascinating reads. I can see why HG Wells is one of the fathers of modern science fiction. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | May 6, 2018 |

Wells, H. G.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Batchelor, John CalvinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mac Adam, AlfredIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us. (The Time Machine)

"His goggling spectacles and ghastly bandaged face under the penthouse of his hat came with a disagreeable suddenness out of the darkness," Wells wrote in The Invisible Man. H. G. Wells described wonders of science and imagined possible futures, meanwhile critiquing his own society and contributing more to the science fiction genre than almost any other writer. This collection brings two of Well's most beloved classics together in one volume. It also includes a discussion of the films inspired by the novels, reviews of Wells's works, and discussion questions.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,506,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible