Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson

Prom (2005)

by Laurie Halse Anderson

Not my favorite Laurie Halse Anderson book but it was a quick easy read. The main character is deeply flawed but not a horrible person. I could identify with her in more than one way. Nice read though not up there with Speak or Catalyst.
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Possible spoilers.

This was a semi-engaging read, but nothing spectacular as I didn't feel connected to any of the characters. I couldn't connect with Ashley and I didn't understand her relationship with TJ nor her break-up with him. There were hints as to why he might be a bad guy, but I felt that these were negated by his helping her father finish the kitchen. Even now, I don't know why everyone was so against TJ. I wonder if the writer wasn't misguided in having TJ help to reconstruct the kitchen. She obviously felt like he should be a bad guy, a fall guy, but he did something miraculous and never received the accolades. Instead, he showed up in a suit to take Ashley on a grand date that he was semi-paying for and yet again he was not the good guy. The scenes before the "prom" seemed forced, to make him a bad guy,.

My take is that if I were writing this story, somehow TJ would have worked out and have been something great for Ashley. The fact that other characters were denigrating his persona is just not enough. He did more to aid his character, except for the scenes immediately before the prom in which I think the author was diligently trying to prove a weird case, trying to prove that he was just a jerk, which I didn't buy. He did a lot for Ashley. He wanted her. He wanted her enough in his life that he was doing all kinds of things to bring her into it.

The author doesn't seem to understand that people who do things like this don't easily substitute. Her world is easy. My world, after many years of experiencing it, doesn't work that way. In my world, people acknowledge that what they do have consequences.

I am willing to admit that I missed something, something extremely important. But, I doubt it. The prose was not that good. The thought was just not that good. The characterizations were forced.

I did, however, like the idea of a grandmother who would devise a dreamy pink creation that would make a girl feel and look spectacular. I wish I had had a grandmother like that. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are so varied and well-developed, they come across as real people and not the idealized versions of characters that are so prevalent in books today. While Laurie Halse Anderson tends to write about very serious subjects, this is more light-hearted fare. That being said, the characters are still flawed and have problems to work out. Overall though it's a fun read and I recommend it to anyone who reads YA fiction or is a fan of the author. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Apr 9, 2015 |
Quick Thoughts/ Mini Review: I really liked this book- it was a quick read and it had a lot going on but in a good way. There are a few characters and side stories but they keep the story moving. I loved ash's family- I thought that they were described very well and that they were "crazy" (doesn't everyone think their family is crazy?) but loving and supportive. I enjoyed the characters and the story- I and I really loved the end (shhhh no spoilers- although there isn't much to spoil).

Favorite Line? from page 40 (Ashley's dad) - "I sort of dropped that old punch bowl that we never use anymore. But don't tell your mother. You know how she gets." ( )
  Rebecca790 | Sep 21, 2013 |
This was a marvelous book - but then, every book by Anderson I've read is marvelous. Weaving humor, real life, love, family and the quirkiness of human nature with a deft hand, Anderson creates a story that both amused and touched me. The main character, Ash, was well-done - part young woman, part child, she struggles to find herself and her direction. The ending was perfect - not the happy-ending from fairy tales, but the ending one finds in life - messy and scary but full of hope. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 7, 2013 |
For Scot, because every dance is his
Once upon a time there was an eighteen-year-old girl who dragged her butt out of bed and all the way to school on a sunny day in May.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142405701, Paperback)

Ages 12 and up. Who would have thought the author of the gritty classic Speak had a gift for comedy? Here she demonstrates her comedic talent in the warm and witty story of Ashley, who is definitely not a prom-type person, and her best friend Nat, who lives for the prom. When the math teacher disappears with the funds just eleven days before the dance, determined and organized Nat goes into high gear to find alternative ways to make the prom happen and drags an unwilling Ashley into the flurry of urgent details.

Ashley has enough problems in her life already, starting with the complexities of her crowded but loving working class family -- her extremely pregnant mother and her three exuberant and prom-crazy aunts, and her cab-driving father and three younger brothers, who think nothing of happily trashing the kitchen in a game of hot dog baseball. Then there’s Mr. Gilroy, the evil vice principal of discipline, who has Ashley on endless detention, her awful job at EZ-CHEEZ-E, where she has trouble seeing the customers through the eyeholes of her rat costume, and her good-looking but lowlife boyfriend TJ, who wants her to join him in a future as depressing as the dank one-room apartment he has so proudly rented for them. Not to speak of Nat’s loony grandmother, who wears her red bathing cap even when she’s not doing the backstroke in a wading pool, babbles at Ashley in Russian, and spits on the floor to show her disapproval.

But in the end it’s grandma with her skill at baking (pastries to bribe the custodians) and sewing (a magical prom dress) who saves both the prom and Ashley’s belief in herself and her future in this delightful and heartfelt novel. --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

Eighteen-year-old Ash wants nothing to do with senior prom, but when disaster strikes and her desperate friend, Nat, needs her help to get it back on track, Ash's involvement transforms her life.

Laurie Halse Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,431,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible