The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar…

The Importance of Being Earnest (1895)

by Oscar Wilde

English (128)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (137)
This is such a clever and witty play! It's easy to see why it is considered to be Oscar Wilde's best. Having read four at this point, I would certainly rank "The Importance of Being Earnest " at the top of the list. The play is funny and well-crafted, with eccentric characters and a theme that includes a Shakespearean-like confusion about who is who. Unlike the case in some of Wilde's other plays, the epigrams are used sparingly and (for the most part) just where they appropriately fit. I think watching this play would be quite enjoyable, notwithstanding the fact that it was written more than a century ago. It's enjoyable to read as well. ( )
1 vote danielx | Mar 7, 2019 |
Oscar Wilde is the best! This play was much funnier and happy-go-lucky than any of his other works I've read, and it was very enjoyable. He has such a clever humor, some people probably would miss it, but once one can catch on to it, they'll find it absolutely hilarious.
It pokes fun at what guys will do to get the girl, what girls will do when they feel slighted, what busybodies members of society are, and how unrealistically people think about love and other important topics.

Also, "If you're not too long, I will wait here for you all my life." That is the most realistic statement from a person in love I have ever heard. It is so much more likely than the cliche "i will wait for you until the day I die" thing. So entertaining. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
This little play was cute. It is more a mold for a television situation comedy than anything of greater importance. A good poke at "society". ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I had no idea Oscar Wilde was so funny. This play is witty, sarcastic, silly, and extremely quotable. "In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity is the vital thing." Also, very easy to read, and being a play, very short. I laughed out quite often. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Very funny, in the ridiculous sense, and often quotable. (I think Wilde could go further into illogic and non-sequiturs, and should try some longer-running gags.) Edited nicely; the humor doesn't overstay its welcome.

Jack: You never talk anything but nonsense.
Algernon: Nobody ever does. ( )
  breic | Oct 1, 2018 |

Oscar Wildeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holland, VyvyanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Popkin, HenryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Eight Great Comedies by Sylvan Barnet

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan / A Woman of No Importance / An Ideal Husband / Salomé by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Three Plays by Oscar Wilde

Cavalcade of comedy; 21 brilliant comedies from Jonson and Wycherley to Thurber and Coward by Louis Kronenberger

The Plays of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Sixteen Famous British Plays by Bennett Cerf

Plays, Prose Writings and Poems (Everyman's Library) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Penguin Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest: And Other Plays (Modern Library Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Enriched Classics Series) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Salomé / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Importance Of Being Earnest And Other Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Bedford Introduction to Drama by Lee A. Jacobus

Contemporary Drama: 15 Plays by E. Bradlee Watson

Opere by Oscar Wilde

Masterpieces of the Drama by Alexander W. Allison

English drama in transition, 1880-1920 by Henry Frank Salerno

The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2B: The Victorian Age by David Damrosch

Selected Works : The picture of Dorian Grey ; De Profundis ; The Canterville ghost ; The importance of being Ernest ; Lady Windermere's fan by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde in 3-Vol Box Set (Stories, Plays, Poems, Essays, Letters) [Folio Society 1993] by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Plays by Oscar Wilde

A Treasury of the Theatre: From Henrik Ibsen to Robert Lowell by John Gassner

Selections from Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

The Genius of the Later English Theater by Sylvan Barnet

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Signet Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Vintage Classics) by Oscar Wilde

A treasury of the theatre; from Henrik Ibsen to Eugene Ionesco by John Gassner

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Witty and buoyant comedy of manners is brilliantly plotted from its effervescent first act to its hilarious denouement, and filled with some of literature's most famous epigrams. Widely considered Wilde's most perfect work, the play is reprinted here from an authoritative early British edition. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

"First published 1899 in the United Kingdom. Drawing room comedy exposing quirks and foibles of Victorian society with plot revolving around amorous pursuits of two men who face social obstacles when they woo young ladies of quality. This play 'is noted for its witty lines, its clever situations, and its satire on the British nobility and clergy.'" Reader's Ency 4th ed.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,415,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible