The importance of being earnest by Oscar…

The importance of being earnest (original 1895; edition 1990)

by Oscar Wilde

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The importance of being earnest
Authors:Oscar Wilde
Info:Dover Publications (1990), Paperback

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

English (125)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (134)
I had no idea Oscar Wilde was so funny. This play is witty, sarcastic, silly, and extremely quotable. "In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity is the vital thing." Also, very easy to read, and being a play, very short. I laughed out quite often. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Very funny, in the ridiculous sense, and often quotable. (I think Wilde could go further into illogic and non-sequiturs, and should try some longer-running gags.) Edited nicely; the humor doesn't overstay its welcome.

Jack: You never talk anything but nonsense.
Algernon: Nobody ever does. ( )
  breic | Oct 1, 2018 |
There is nothing earnest about the play..This is a madhouse with eccentric characters. I loved the booked instantly on reading the plot. Oscar Wilde is a clever and witty writer. The mistaken identities,the fake personalities, the convenient truths and inconvenient circumstances , all lead up to a perfectly adorable and hilarious family drama. This is a satirical comedy about love and marriage. I enjoyed every line of the book with its Victorian themed narrative. The importance of being "Ernest" is highlighted in several humourous ways- as a person and as a quality. Jack and Algy add different levels of complexity to staying Earnest. The climax is the most eventful with a delightful conversation between the shallow Aunt Augusta and the misplaced "Ernest". Cecily and Gwendolin are such adorable characters who are so farce yet sophisticated.
I recommend this book to anyone who loves absurdity and mockery. ( )
  deepa_nanjundaswamy | Aug 3, 2018 |
I recommend this book to anyone who loves absurdity and mockery. ( )
  deepahn | Aug 3, 2018 |
I found the play amusing, so I'm giving the book three stars. However, I have to give one star to the homophobic creator biography and literary analysis that is contained in the edition I actually read, a 1959 book in the Barron's Educational Series. When it wasn't offensive, the literary analysis was just boring as hell and written in dry, tortured, overly academic prose that contrasted greatly with the witty dialogue in Wilde's play. Wilde's work stands the test of time, while the introductory matter is best left in the past. ( )
1 vote villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

Oscar Wildeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holland, VyvyanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Popkin, HenryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Eight Great Comedies by Sylvan Barnet

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan / A Woman of No Importance / An Ideal Husband / Salomé by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Three Plays by Oscar Wilde

Cavalcade of comedy; 21 brilliant comedies from Jonson and Wycherley to Thurber and Coward by Louis Kronenberger

The Plays of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Sixteen Famous British Plays by Bennett Cerf

Plays, Prose Writings and Poems (Everyman's Library) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Penguin Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest: And Other Plays (Modern Library Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Enriched Classics Series) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Salomé / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Importance Of Being Earnest And Other Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Bedford Introduction to Drama by Lee A. Jacobus

Contemporary Drama: 15 Plays by E. Bradlee Watson

Opere by Oscar Wilde

Masterpieces of the Drama by Alexander W. Allison

English drama in transition, 1880-1920 by Henry Frank Salerno

The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2B: The Victorian Age by David Damrosch

Selected Works : The picture of Dorian Grey ; De Profundis ; The Canterville ghost ; The importance of being Ernest ; Lady Windermere's fan by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde in 3-Vol Box Set (Stories, Plays, Poems, Essays, Letters) [Folio Society 1993] by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Plays by Oscar Wilde

A Treasury of the Theatre: From Henrik Ibsen to Robert Lowell by John Gassner

Selections from Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

The Genius of the Later English Theater by Sylvan Barnet

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Signet Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Vintage Classics) by Oscar Wilde

A treasury of the theatre; from Henrik Ibsen to Eugene Ionesco by John Gassner

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Witty and buoyant comedy of manners is brilliantly plotted from its effervescent first act to its hilarious denouement, and filled with some of literature's most famous epigrams. Widely considered Wilde's most perfect work, the play is reprinted here from an authoritative early British edition. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

"First published 1899 in the United Kingdom. Drawing room comedy exposing quirks and foibles of Victorian society with plot revolving around amorous pursuits of two men who face social obstacles when they woo young ladies of quality. This play 'is noted for its witty lines, its clever situations, and its satire on the British nobility and clergy.'" Reader's Ency 4th ed.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,225,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible