The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar…

The Importance of Being Earnest (original 1895; edition 2005)

by Oscar Wilde

Member:capanegra
Title:The Importance of Being Earnest
Authors:Oscar Wilde
Info:Prestwick House Inc. (2005), Paperback, 76 pages
Tags:aviermen, Á.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw (NancyAf)
    NancyAf: Both plays are hilarious comedies of manners with the interplay between the sexes at the forefront.
    Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm (allenmichie)
    The Caravaners by Elizabeth von Arnim (carlym)

English (83)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (89)
So glad I had to read this for my AP British Literature class. This satire of Victorian England made me laugh more than most books and plays I have read. The humor is just unbeatable... I can't wait to read more from Oscar Wilde! ( )
  Kymberlee | Jun 3, 2014 |
“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.”

A play should of course for maximum benefit be expereinced in the theatre. The next best thing would be to buy an audiobook - the L.A. Theatre Works performing The Importance of Being Earnest with live audience.

It’s such a delight - have there been written a more funnier play? With Oscar Wilde’s famous quips and witty remarks - this story of mistaken identities in upper class british society display
an exuberance of life and high spirits.

“Never speak disrespectfully of Society, Algernon. Only people who can’t get into it do that.”

I think everyone in this production is in top form - and specially Lady Bracknell played by Margaret Scudamore.

“I really don't see anything romantic in proposing. It is very romantic to be in love. But there is nothing romantic about a definite proposal. Why, one may be accepted. One usually is, I believe. Then the excitement is all over. The very essence of romance is uncertainty. If ever I get married, I'll certainly try to forget the fact.” ( )
3 vote ctpress | May 25, 2014 |
I just love Oscar Wilde. He is fresh, he is ironic and he describes the english society of his time in a remarkable way. The importance of Being Earnest is a short play very easy to read that brings to the reader a great story that it can enjoy over and over again discovering the magic of his words at the time that we are transported in time... ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
started this book without any knowledge nor expectatations. a great surprise how funny this piece is. a comedy of changed identities and not so proper british society. a true gem. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 30, 2014 |

Five Plays by Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde: The Complete Plays, Stories, Poems, and Novels by Oscar Wilde

Three Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Cavalcade of comedy; 21 brilliant comedies from Jonson and Wycherley to Thurber and Coward by Louis Kronenberger

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Witty and buoyant comedy of manners is brilliantly plotted from its effervescent first act to its hilarious denouement, and filled with some of literature's most famous epigrams. Widely considered Wilde's most perfect work, the play is reprinted here from an authoritative early British edition. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:31 -0400)

A witty comedy.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436065, 1405801735

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible