The Importance of Being Earnest (Dover…

The Importance of Being Earnest (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1895; edition 1990)

by Oscar Wilde

7,314120483 (4.15)247
Member:timoheuer
Title:The Importance of Being Earnest (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Oscar Wilde
Info:Dover Publications (1990), Paperback, 64 pages
Tags:englische literatur, englischsprachige literatur, theater, drama, oscar wilde, lang:en, adel, viktorianisches zeitalter, hochzeit, liebesgeschichte, liebe, heirat

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

English (112)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All (120)
A perfect cure for sadness. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
I read this at fifteen because I'd been so in love with [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320467562s/5297.jpg|1858012] that I was sure I needed more Wilde in my life. Eight years later he's the subject of my thesis, which might indicate just how good I thought this play was. I haven't seen it performed in theatre, however! Just scenes or parodies and the 2002 film. Sidenote: there is a fantastic moment in DWJ's [b:Fire And Hemlock|860520|Fire And Hemlock|Diana Wynne Jones|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345877948s/860520.jpg|1121945] where at the school talent showcase two of the boys are dressed up in suits and have forgotten all their lines and just circle the table eating cucumber sandwiches and not speaking and I thought that was the best. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
I've read the screen play.
It is an absolute gem of characterisation and dialogue. Full of humour and wit and worth reading again every once in a while. An uplifting experience I can't recommend highly enough.
Go ahead and treat yourself, it not a lot to buy on ebook readers. ( )
  AdrianGHilder | Feb 22, 2017 |
I probably should have expected a fair amount of silliness and slapstick based on it being a 'trivial comedy for serious people,' but que sera, sera. It was a quick, funny read nonetheless. The ending line was a bit on the nose, though, wasn't it? ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
5442. The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde (read 8 Feb 2017) I have read this before now but never in its own book, and have seen the movie and have seen it performed. But I wanted it to be in my list of books read so when I came across a booklet containing only the work itself I decided to read it in that form. It is outrageously funny, but of course not as funny as seeing it performed. But one can't help laughing. A masterpiece indeed. ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 8, 2017 |

Oscar Wildeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holland, VyvyanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Popkin, HenryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Eight Great Comedies by Sylvan Barnet

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan / A Woman of No Importance / An Ideal Husband / Salomé by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde: The Complete Plays, Stories, Poems, and Novels by Oscar Wilde

Three Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Cavalcade of comedy; 21 brilliant comedies from Jonson and Wycherley to Thurber and Coward by Louis Kronenberger

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Witty and buoyant comedy of manners is brilliantly plotted from its effervescent first act to its hilarious denouement, and filled with some of literature's most famous epigrams. Widely considered Wilde's most perfect work, the play is reprinted here from an authoritative early British edition. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

"First published 1899 in the United Kingdom. Drawing room comedy exposing quirks and foibles of Victorian society with plot revolving around amorous pursuits of two men who face social obstacles when they woo young ladies of quality. This play 'is noted for its witty lines, its clever situations, and its satire on the British nobility and clergy.'" Reader's Ency 4th ed.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible