The Importance of Being Earnest

The Importance of Being Earnest (original 1895; edition 1976)

Member:bbrassell
Title:The Importance of Being Earnest
Authors:
Info:Avon (1976), Paperback
Collections:Fiction/Literary 2013, Your library
Rating:*****

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw (NancyAf)
    NancyAf: Both plays are hilarious comedies of manners with the interplay between the sexes at the forefront.
    Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm (allenmichie)
    The Caravaners by Elizabeth von Arnim (carlym)

English (93)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (100)
"Play first performed on 14 February 1895 at the St James's Theatre in London, it is a farcical comedy in which the protagonists maintain fictitious personae in order to escape burdensome social obligations." ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
I didn't like this play at all. Wilde's humor is known for being witty and sharp tongued, but nothing was funny. The plot isn't bad, but his characters were just so bland it ruined the story for me. The ending was horrid for me, like I get that his point was to laugh at the fact that plays wrap up in neat little packages and he was trying to point out how ridiculous that is, but it was just pathetic, it just made his play look bad. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Just so funny, Oscar Wilde was definitely not a fan of toffs. If you've never read a play before start here, you won't regret it. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
This play is a delight. It's filled with Oscar Wilde's wonderful humor. The only thing that could be better than reading this gem is seeing it performed live. ( )
  Aubri | Apr 30, 2015 |

Five Plays by Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde: The Complete Plays, Stories, Poems, and Novels by Oscar Wilde

Three Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Cavalcade of comedy; 21 brilliant comedies from Jonson and Wycherley to Thurber and Coward by Louis Kronenberger

The Plays of Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

Sixteen Famous British Plays by Bennett A. Cerf

Plays, Prose Writings and Poems (Everyman's Library) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Penguin Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan / A Woman of No Importance / An Ideal Husband / Salomé by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest: And Other Plays (Modern Library Classics) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays (Enriched Classics Series) by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Salomé / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Importance Of Being Earnest And Other Plays by Oscar Wilde

The Importance of Being Earnest / Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

The Bedford Introduction to Drama by Lee A. Jacobus

Contemporary Drama: 15 Plays by E. Bradlee Watson

Opere by Oscar Wilde

Masterpieces of the Drama by Alexander W. Allison

English drama in transition, 1880-1920 by Henry F. Salerno

The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2B: The Victorian Age by David Damrosch

Selected Works : The picture of Dorian Grey ; De Profundis ; The Canterville ghost ; The importance of being Ernest ; Lady Windermere's fan by Oscar Wilde

The Oscar Wilde Collection: 3 volume set. Stories; Plays and Poems; Essays and Letters by Oscar Wilde

The Complete Plays by Oscar Wilde

A Treasury of the Theatre: From Henrik Ibsen to Robert Lowell by John Gassner

Selections from Oscar Wilde by Oscar Wilde

The Genius of the Later English Theater by Sylvan Barnet

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Witty and buoyant comedy of manners is brilliantly plotted from its effervescent first act to its hilarious denouement, and filled with some of literature's most famous epigrams. Widely considered Wilde's most perfect work, the play is reprinted here from an authoritative early British edition. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

"First published 1899 in the United Kingdom. Drawing room comedy exposing quirks and foibles of Victorian society with plot revolving around amorous pursuits of two men who face social obstacles when they woo young ladies of quality. This play 'is noted for its witty lines, its clever situations, and its satire on the British nobility and clergy.'" Reader's Ency 4th ed.… (more)

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436065, 1405801735

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible