I Just Forgot by Mercer Mayer

I Just Forgot (1988)

by Mercer Mayer

I thought this book was adorable for a variety of reasons! Throughout the book, the little boy expresses the multiple things he sometimes forgets to do, such as out his toys away or feed his puppy. Being forgetful is something that we all can relate to and it is a message young children should learn as well. They should know that it is ok to forget sometimes because we all make mistakes! We can only be the best that we can be. I loved the ending of the book because it shows that the most important things in life are your family and your love for them no matter what.
The language in this book is simple and easy to understand no matter how old the reader may be, allowing al types of readers the ability to relate to this story. The pictures throughout the book show details, but not too much allowing the readers to focus on the story and the overall message. I also enjoyed how the story begins at the beginning of the day and progresses throughout the day until bedtime. ( )
  lriver5 | Feb 9, 2015 |
This book is about a child that remembers to do the first step of things, but forgets the second. They remember to put one thing away but not the other.
This book is good for kids ages 4-10 because it reminds them that when they get things out they should put them away. No matter your age this is always a good reminder!
I like this book because of that, it reminds kids that they become responsible for their actions no matter how little they are.
  AmyGelle | Oct 9, 2014 |
In my opinion I thought this was a good book for children because it is most likely something they can relate/make a connection that also is conveying a bigger message. Everyone forgets things and thats okay but at the end of the day he never forgets whats most important and thats family. ( )
  JamieLewis | Sep 15, 2014 |
I like this book because of the illustrations. I think the illustrations enhance the story because they are engaging and appropriate in the way that they closely relate to the text on each page. This is helpful for a reader because they can use the illustrations to assist them with decoding the text. For example, when the main character forgets his lunch, the illustration depicts his mother chasing after the bus with the character’s lunch box in hand. I think the central message of the book is responsibility. The main character is constantly forgetting to complete his duties around the house such as getting the newspaper, picking up his toys, and feeding his fish. I think this book can be used to teach readers responsibility. The book can help the reader recognize that there are things that they have to remember to do in order to be responsible and take care of their things. ( )
  awalls4 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Summary:
I Just Forgot is a book about a little boy, who just has a had time remembering to do the things his parents ask him to do. He seems to only remember half of his responsibilities. During the book, his mother and father get a little anger at him because he is forgetful. His parents though are slowly teaching him how to be responsible.

Personal Reaction:
This was a great book that brought laughter to me, while I was reading it. It reminds me of my little brother, who can never seem to remember his responsibilities either. My mother and father are always getting frustrated with him. It reminds me of my own family, that is why I like it so much.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would teach them about how responsibility is important that week and I would give everyone a responsibility around the classroom that week to see how well they remember.
2. I would have them right a paper over the responsibilities they have at home, and why it is important to do those.
  olivialawson | Jan 29, 2014 |
Sometimes I remember, and sometimes I just forget.

This is a young reader book that uses a "little critter" that has human qualities. He is someone kids can like and identify as having the same things happen to. The illustrations and text are white background so they can stand out. In this book of the series Little critter is learning lots of new stuff. Just like kids, he is good at remembering some details of what is expected of him but totally forgets other parts. When asked or shown the problems, he just states..... "I Just Forgot"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119750, Paperback)

Funny, likeable Little Critter is at it again. In this appealing picture book about Mercer Mayer's popular character, Little Critter struggles to remember what he is supposed to do each day. On rainy days he remembers his raincoat but forgets his boots. On school days he gets to school on time but forgets his lunchbox. At home he takes a bath but forgets to use soap. Poor Little Critter! He tries hard but hasn't quite mastered the art of how to get through the day. Every young reader will understand Little Critter's confusion and laugh with him from start to finish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:41 -0400)

Little Critter tells how he sometimes forgets things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,766,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible