The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies (First…

The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies (First Time Books(R)) (edition 1988)

by Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstain

Member:sweetiegherkin
Title:The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies (First Time Books(R))
Authors:Stan Berenstain
Other authors:Jan Berenstain
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1988), Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, Childhood Favorites
Tags:fiction, children's literature, Berenstain bears, tantrums, parenting

The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies by Stan Berenstain

The Bernstein Bears Get the Gimmies is a book about the bear family cubs wanting everything that they see. It starts all with the Papa & Mama giving them more and more items that the cubs wanted. Mama bear is the first to want to put a stop to it, but Papa bear thought was cubs will be cubs. Until the cubs embarrass Papa and Mama at the supermarket, that was enough for them to take action. With Gramps and Gran bears help they came up with a great solution, which Mama, Papa and the cubs could agree with.

I can relative to this book, with my little ones thinking they need everything that they see. Sometime they cry and plead with me to get things that they wanted. My husband and I have a good system that works. First thing we are a team that sticks together. We have five children so we never let them know they out number us. The final thing is communication.

Good class room extension ideas could be talking about manners, how we need to use our words and act in public places. You could also use this book to talk about making choices and decisions for them selves. There are also great new words to explore like outrageous, disgraceful, embarrassing and many more.
  Ligeria | Jan 17, 2011 |
Brother and Sister Bear get a bad case of the "gimmies" - everytime Mama and Papa Bear take them anywhere, the siblings throw a fit to get everything they see, whether it be candy, toys, or a turn on a mechanical ride. And opportunities for these fits abound - the supermarket, the mall, and everywhere in between. Luckily, Grizzly Gramps and Gran suggest a plan to curb the cubs' gimmies.

The Berenstain Bears "First Time Books" were all among my favorites as a young child/early reader. I remember being too young to read and staying up at night under the covers with a flashlight just looking at the pictures and imagining the story. Once I could read, these were among the books I read over and over again. As an adult, some parts of the book make me laugh a little (i.e., the main characters are named Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear, Sister Bear -- really? That was as imaginative as the authors could get?). The books also come across now as perhaps overly preachy and moralistic, although I think I learned as much (if not more) about manners and good behavior from the Berenstain Bears books than the adults in my life. And this particular story of curbing greedy impulses is only more important in these days of ubiquitous ways to obtain instant gratification -- for children and adults. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 20, 2010 |
good book relates to real life situations when children want things from the store.
  ashtonrice | Apr 2, 2009 |

Stan Berenstainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstain, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Brother and Sister Bear want everything in sight, and they throw tantrums when they don't get what they want. Wisely Mama and Papa deal with this childhood malady by teaching the cubs about the family budget and the importance of appreciating all that they have already.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:54 -0400)

Gran and Gramps come up with a plan to help selfish Brother and Sister Bear get rid of a bad case of the galloping greedy gimmies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,003,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible