We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin…

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1962; edition 2006)

by Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ott (Illustrator), Jonathan Lethem (Introduction)

Member:aarti
Title:We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Shirley Jackson
Other authors:Thomas Ott (Illustrator), Jonathan Lethem (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: Deluxe, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Gothic, Family, Mystery, Audiobook, Unreliable Narrator

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (1962)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (teelgee)
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (taz_)
    taz_: I suspect that Iain Banks' "Wasp Factory" character Frank Cauldhame was inspired by Shirley Jackson's Merricat, as these two darkly memorable teenagers share a great many quirks - the totems and protections to secure their respective "fortresses", the obsessive superstitions that govern their daily lives and routines, their isolation and cloistered pathology, their eccentric families and dark secrets. Be warned, though, that "The Wasp Factory" is a far more explicit and grisly tale than the eerily genteel "Castle" and certainly won't appeal to all fans of the latter.… (more)
    Who was Changed and Who was Dead by Barbara Comyns (laytonwoman3rd)
    The Sister by Poppy Adams (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Two sisters with a mysterious relationship and dark history together, unreliable narrators, dark, old, rural houses with mysteries of their own... Though the books take different plotlines, they share so many similar elements that people who enjoyed the setting and storytelling of one will likely enjoy the other.… (more)
    The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey (lahochstetler)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (sturlington)
    sturlington: Somewhat similar, although the Jackson novel is far superior.
    The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen (Nialle)
    Nialle: Young, emotionally complex, imaginative narrators in isolated situations - have something going on that the reader only glimpses before the big reveal
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (citygirl)
    citygirl: Castle is much darker and Flavia is more adorable than creepy (Merricat is quite creepy), but if you're interested in unusual young protagonists, with a very particular world view, try these.
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (kraaivrouw)
    Heartstones by Ruth Rendell (isabelx)

English (160)  Italian (2)  All languages (162)
"I can't help it when people are frightened.I always want to frighten them more."

No voy a "spoilear" nada. Léanlo, es cortito y llevadero.

Es la clase de terror que me fascina: el miedo sutil, casi invisible, entrometiéndose en la rutina y en el silencio. Nada de sangre, ni tortura, ni dolor exagerado (innecesario siempre en las historias de terror/horror, etc.). La dosis precisa y perfecta de suspenso; un poco de desquicio y mucho misterio... muchas cumbres borrascosas e historias que son y no son.

Súper recomendado para quienes les gusta las historias de susto que se desarrollan lentamente y sin escenas explícitas.

LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Fiction, America, Murder, Creepy, Death ( )
  shelley436 | May 25, 2015 |
I found the first chapter hard to get into, but after that I was hooked (in a sort of morbid fascination way). Mary Katherine (Merricat) goes to the village to buy groceries twice a week and brings them back to her family's fenced-in property, where she lives with her sister Constance, who never goes out, and her invalid uncle Julian. Six years ago Julian's wife and the sisters' parents and brother were poisoned to death with arsenic. Constance was tried for the crime and acquitted.

There were very amusing scenes, e.g. when Lucille Wright visits, hoping to get a glimpse of the "scene of the crime", but mostly things get weirder and weirder. I was never sure how much of what Julian said was true and at points doubted if anyone was really who they appeared to be. By the end it is more or less clear what is going on (I think!) and I liked the idea of the food baskets (but what would they have done for toilet roll?!) ( )
  pgchuis | May 3, 2015 |
Since the mysterious death of four family members, the superstitious Mary Katherine "Merricat" Blackwood (the narrator of the novel), her ailing Uncle Julian, and agoraphobic sister Constance have lived in a strange but contented state of isolation. Merricat has taken it upon herself to protect her family, through an idiosyncratic system of rules and protective magic. However, when distant cousin Charles arrives (looking for their fortune??) he disturbs the family routine, a terrible family secret is revealed resulting in crisis, tragedy and one of the most disturbing endings of a novel I have ever read. I found this book bizarre, strange, haunting, disturbing, twisted, terrifying and ultimately quite sad. The narrator Merricat is a character you will never forget. 41/2 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Apr 2, 2015 |
Very enjoyable. Felt ghostly and creepy without being ghostly and creepy. Love Shirley Jackson! Her writing is so original and queer. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 28, 2015 |
Of the precocious children and adolescents of mid-twentieth-century American fiction ... none is more memorable than eighteen-year-old "Merricat" of Shirley Jackson's masterpiece of Gothic suspense We Have Always Lived in the Castle (1962).

Shirley Jacksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franzén, TorkelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, MonicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pascal Covici
My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood.
Merricat, said Connie, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh no, said Merricat, you’ll poison me.
Merricat, said Connie, would you like to go to sleep?
Down in the boneyard ten feet deep!
You will be wondering about that sugar bowl, I imagine. Is it still in use? you are wondering; has it been cleaned? you may very well ask; was it thoroughly washed?
My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cup mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead.

The quiet, isolated life of the Blackwoods--eighteen-year-old Merricat; her older sister, Constance, who may have poisoned their parents six years ago; and their wheelchair-bound uncle--is disrupted by the arrival of a cousin pursuing the family fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143039970, Paperback)

Visitors call seldom at Blackwood House. Taking tea at the scene of a multiple poisoning, with a suspected murderess as one's host, is a perilous business. For a start, the talk tends to turn to arsenic. "It happened in this very room, and we still have our dinner in here every night," explains Uncle Julian, continually rehearsing the details of the fatal family meal. "My sister made these this morning," says Merricat, politely proffering a plate of rum cakes, fresh from the poisoner's kitchen. We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson's 1962 novel, is full of a macabre and sinister humor, and Merricat herself, its amiable narrator, is one of the great unhinged heroines of literature. "What place would be better for us than this?" she asks, of the neat, secluded realm she shares with her uncle and with her beloved older sister, Constance. "Who wants us, outside? The world is full of terrible people." Merricat has developed an idiosyncratic system of rules and protective magic, burying talismanic objects beneath the family estate, nailing them to trees, ritually revisiting them. She has made "a powerful taut web which never loosened, but held fast to guard us" against the distrust and hostility of neighboring villagers.

Or so she believes. But at last the magic fails. A stranger arrives--cousin Charles, with his eye on the Blackwood fortune. He disturbs the sisters' careful habits, installing himself at the head of the family table, unearthing Merricat's treasures, talking privately to Constance about "normal lives" and "boy friends." Unable to drive him away by either polite or occult means, Merricat adopts more desperate methods. The result is crisis and tragedy, the revelation of a terrible secret, the convergence of the villagers upon the house, and a spectacular unleashing of collective spite.

The sisters are propelled further into seclusion and solipsism, abandoning "time and the orderly pattern of our old days" in favor of an ever-narrowing circuit of ritual and shadow. They have themselves become talismans, to be alternately demonized and propitiated, darkly, with gifts. Jackson's novel emerges less as a study in eccentricity and more--like some of her other fictions--as a powerful critique of the anxious, ruthless processes involved in the maintenance of normality itself. "Poor strangers," says Merricat contentedly at last, studying trespassers from the darkness behind the barricaded Blackwood windows. "They have so much to be afraid of." --Sarah Waters

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:32 -0400)

We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a deliciously unsettling novel about a perverse, isolated, and possibly murderous family and the struggle that ensues when a cousin arrives at their estate.

753 wanted5 pay8 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141191457, 0141194995

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible