Six degrees: our future on a hotter planet…

Six degrees: our future on a hotter planet (2007)

by Mark Lynas

English (13)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All (15)
Mark Lynas's Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet, written in 2008, presents in devastating detail the likely trajectory of the climate change crisis if we remain on our current course. Lynas shows, degree by degree Celcius, the alarming consequences of global warming. He effectively buttresses the case by citing evidence from earlier warmer periods of the earth's atmospheric and geologic history, as well as examples of the effects currently underway. The prospects are frightening, particularly for future generations.

While reading the book, I checked the NASA website to see the trends (carbon dioxide, global temperature, arctic ice minimum, sea level, etc.) for the last decade which, of course, continue apace. That day the U.S. president, who earlier this year pulled the United States out of the Paris Agreement, nominated a climate change denier to be the next head of NASA. Those interested in viewing the agency's relevant data are advised to do so quickly, as the information soon will likely be removed, just as all climate change data was deleted from the Environmental Protection Agency's website the day the president was inaugurated. ( )
  ghr4 | Sep 5, 2017 |
By the end of this century, the planet will heat up between 1.4 and 5.8 degrees Celsius, according to the Intergrovermental Panel on CLimate Change.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Frightening. Well researched book. I feel sad about the world we are leaving our grandkids. ( )
2 vote bermandog | Jun 8, 2010 |
Rosamund McDougall, policy director for the Optimum Population Trust, has chosen to discuss Six Degrees on FiveBooks as one of the top five on her subject -Global Warming:

“…This is a fast-moving, scary and explicit scenario of what may happen to Earth and us with each degree of global warming. A must-read for everyone who has any doubts about what’s at stake…”

The full interview is available here: http://fivebooks.com/interviews/rosamund-mcdougall-on-global-warming

2 vote | FiveBooks | Apr 20, 2010 |
Interesting but slightly depressing book about the effects of global warming one degree at a time. ( )
  Jacenschimmel | Mar 17, 2010 |
From the weeping ground there sprang a wind,
flaming with vermillion light,
which overmastered all my senses,
and I dropped like a man pulled down by sleep.

Dante, Inferno, Canto III:

Dante enters the First Circle of Hell
To my wife, Maria; son, Tom; and daughter, Rosa, in the hope that most of the predictions here need not come true.
The knock on the door came at night.
Our Earth is ailing. We must not ignore symptoms. Let's treat the root cause. (ghr4)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142620213X, Hardcover)

Possibly the most graphic treatment of global warming that has yet been published, Six Degrees is what readers of Al Gore's best-selling An Inconvenient Truth or Ross Gelbspan's Boiling Point will turn to next. Written by the acclaimed author of High Tide, this highly relevant and compelling book uses accessible journalistic prose to distill what environmental scientists portend about the consequences of human pollution for the next hundred years.

In 2001, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a landmark report projecting average global surface temperatures to rise between 1.4 degrees and 5.8 degrees Celsius (roughly 2 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of this century. Based on this forecast, author Mark Lynas outlines what to expect from a warming world, degree by degree. At 1 degree Celsius, most coral reefs and many mountain glaciers will be lost. A 3-degree rise would spell the collapse of the Amazon rainforest, disappearance of Greenland's ice sheet, and the creation of deserts across the Midwestern United States and southern Africa. A 6-degree increase would eliminate most life on Earth, including much of humanity.

Based on authoritative scientific articles, the latest computer models, and information about past warm events in Earth history, Six Degrees promises to be an eye-opening warning that humanity will ignore at its peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

In accessible journalistic prose, author Lynas distills what environmental scientists predict about the consequences of human pollution for the next hundred years, degree by degree. At 1 degree Celsius, most coral reefs and many mountain glaciers will be lost. A 3-degree rise would spell the collapse of the Amazon rainforest, disappearance of Greenland's ice sheet, and the creation of deserts across the Midwestern United States and southern Africa. A 6-degree increase would eliminate most life on Earth, including much of humanity. Based on authoritative scientific articles, the latest computer models, and information about past warm events in Earth history, this promises to be an eye-opening warning that humanity will ignore at its peril.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,342,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible