Misery by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Misery by Stephen King

English (127)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (134)
Misery was my first Stephen King novel and one of my favourites. It tells about a famous writer who has fallen victim to a terrible car crash and the person who takes care of him and heals him turns out to be his biggest fan, Annie Wilkes. Of course, it turns out his biggest fan also happens to be his biggest nightmare and if you've read the book and/or seen the movie, you'll see why. She truly is a celebrity's worst nightmare. Very engaging, and the last fifty pages had be gripping my seat hoping for Paul, the protagonist, to get out okay, though of course traumatised by the ordeal. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
I just finished, and I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight. This was much scarier and rougher than the movie. The writing was excellent, but I'm pretty chicken so some parts were a bit too much for me. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Some parts were hard to get through and I wanted to set it down. That being said, I enjoyed the book.

Here is a review by Srividya: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1551558882

this review sums up my thoughts ( )
  Kimberly_Mejia | Nov 3, 2016 |
I read this book initially when I was in school, a ton of years ago. A coworker started reading King, and it brought back memories of this and other novels of his I have read. So, I thought I would give it another go. First though, even though the movie changed some details from the book, I think those were likely due to budget constraints rather than the director thinking he could do better than the movie. The Misery movie, in my opinion, is every bit as good as the book.

Rereading this book was like discovering it all over again. I had forgotten so many details, that it was a lot of fun picking it back up. Of course, I remembered Paul Sheldon's broken legs, and being held prisoner in Annie Wilkes' home. I remember him writing a book for her, and her crazy, flat out sickening control over him. But little details like losing his thumb and his waking nightmares after the whole thing is over.

King is a master at horrors, thrillers, and suspense, and this book is no different. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169522, Mass Market Paperback)

In Misery (1987), as in The Shining (1977), a writer is trapped in an evil house during a Colorado winter. Each novel bristles with claustrophobia, stinging insects, and the threat of a lethal explosion. Each is about a writer faced with the dominating monster of his unpredictable muse.

Paul Sheldon, the hero of Misery, sees himself as a caged parrot who must return to Africa in order to be free. Thus, in the novel within a novel, the romance novel that his mad captor-nurse, Annie Wilkes, forces him to write, he goes to Africa--a mysterious continent that evokes for him the frightening, implacable solidity of a woman's (Annie's) body. The manuscript fragments he produces tell of a great Bee Goddess, an African queen reminiscent of H. Rider Haggard's She.

He hates her, he fears her, he wants to kill her; but all the same he needs her power. Annie Wilkes literally breathes life into him.

Misery touches on several large themes: the state of possession by an evil being, the idea that art is an act in which the artist willingly becomes captive, the tortured condition of being a writer, and the fears attendant to becoming a "brand-name" bestselling author with legions of zealous fans. And yet it's a tight, highly resonant echo chamber of a book--one of King's shortest, and best novels ever. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

After a car crash, writer Paul Sheldon is saved by his number one fan. She brought him home, splinted his mangled legs, and all he had to do in return was write a very special book, one all about her favourite character. Because if he didn't, if he was bad, she would be cross - very cross.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,827,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible