Misery by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Misery by Stephen King

English (122)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (129)
King sometimes goes places even I don't want to go. This was one of those places. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Paul Sheldon is a novelist who has earned his fame writing romance novels about an up-tight Victorian named Misery Chasten. Paul has grown tired of this series and wants to break free of this cast of characters he has grown to despise. He finally manages to end the cycle he has been pigeonholed into by killing off the title character Misery; freeing himself up to take his writing in a new direction. In celebration of his new found freedom, he has a wee bit too much drink and crashes his car in Colorado. Unfortunately for him, he was found. Found by his #1 fan, Ms. Annie Wilkes. Thus begins months of torture for Sheldon as he is held captive by Annie until he resurrects his own creation and brings the Misery series back to life.

I prefer Stephen King novels where he has a larger cast of characters to work with. In Misery, we spend nearly the entire novel in Paul Sheldon’s head and we miss out on the multiple character interactions that occur when there is more of an ensemble cast. King makes the physical and psychological torture palpable, but for me Sheldon’s inner monologues grew a little stale.

The novel is well written and extremely disturbing. Annie Wilkes could be one of the most evil and villainous characters King has created (at least at the time this novel was published). Fans of psychological horror will enjoy this book. Not my favorite book by King, but absolutely worth the read. ( )
  JechtShot | Jul 13, 2016 |
I didn't finish this book, but in this case, that's something of a compliment.

I'm a reader who's usually pretty good at keeping a certain emotional distance as I read, but "Misery" got right under my skin. Paul's suffering was so intense I finally had to stop reading.
  Jeslieness | Jun 14, 2016 |
Excellent, suspenseful, violent, PAINFUL. I love how King took the idea of a writer being kidnapped and kept captive by a "#1 fan." Anne Wilkes is a fascinating, mentally deranged character. She really shines in this book. Some of the scenes were horribly disturbing and the protagonist, Paul, is written in dire straights kept captive in the bed due to his weakness, being drugged, and then being physically maimed. The very end with the hallucinations and the paranoia wrap this up wonderfully as a horrifying experience. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Stephen King never disappoints. Misery is, of course, a horrifying tale of a writer trapped and tortured by a lunatic. But, it is also much more...it is a semi-autobiographical tale about King himself. The struggles he faces as a writer, including crazy fans, the pressures of producing more novels, and the battles of drug addiction are all alluded to in this crazy tale. He is one of the true masters of horror, and this also includes discussing his own personal horrors with us as well. ( )
  rsplenda477 | May 15, 2016 |
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169522, Mass Market Paperback)

In Misery (1987), as in The Shining (1977), a writer is trapped in an evil house during a Colorado winter. Each novel bristles with claustrophobia, stinging insects, and the threat of a lethal explosion. Each is about a writer faced with the dominating monster of his unpredictable muse.

Paul Sheldon, the hero of Misery, sees himself as a caged parrot who must return to Africa in order to be free. Thus, in the novel within a novel, the romance novel that his mad captor-nurse, Annie Wilkes, forces him to write, he goes to Africa--a mysterious continent that evokes for him the frightening, implacable solidity of a woman's (Annie's) body. The manuscript fragments he produces tell of a great Bee Goddess, an African queen reminiscent of H. Rider Haggard's She.

He hates her, he fears her, he wants to kill her; but all the same he needs her power. Annie Wilkes literally breathes life into him.

Misery touches on several large themes: the state of possession by an evil being, the idea that art is an act in which the artist willingly becomes captive, the tortured condition of being a writer, and the fears attendant to becoming a "brand-name" bestselling author with legions of zealous fans. And yet it's a tight, highly resonant echo chamber of a book--one of King's shortest, and best novels ever. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

After a car crash, writer Paul Sheldon is saved by his number one fan. She brought him home, splinted his mangled legs, and all he had to do in return was write a very special book, one all about her favourite character. Because if he didn't, if he was bad, she would be cross - very cross.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,417,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible