Misery by Stephen King

Misery (original 1987; edition 1998)

by Stephen King

Member:noapologies
Title:Misery
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Misery by Stephen King (1987)

English (99)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (106)
Brilliant. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Completely absorbing page-turner, could not put this down despite my then future-ex-husband's insistence that I turn off the light and come to bed!!

The movie casting of Kathy Bates was AMAZING and really surpassed my high expectations. This story permanently altered the way I feel when folks say "I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN!" Yes, I now NEVER forget that the term "FAN" is short for "FANATIC" thanks to Mr. King and then when Kathy Bates made Misery her own on the big screen. LOVE this tale and YEARN to add a hardcover to my permanent select Library... as well as to Re-read again, of course!!

Mr. King set the bar of suspense , horror and terror to all time new heights with MISERY!! Yes love CAN kill you... but what DOESN'T kill you makes you so much stronger!! James Caan was even sexier with the cane & limp ;) ( )
  skippybuck | Jul 10, 2014 |
Easily one of King's finest books.

I remember being completely engrossed. I think that I read it after I saw the movie, which was completely fine, because imagining Kathy Bates in this book made it all the more terrifying. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Easily one of King's finest books.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I would have to say that this is one of King's best novels. Unlike a lot of his others this could truly happen in the real world today. Annie Wilkes represents that one person in everyone's life that is a little on the nutty side, but for Wilkes is a whole lot of nutty.

Paul Sheldon is a best selling author who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. When the snow storm hits, he crashes his car and who find him but the ex nurse Annie Wilkes. Wilkes is his number one fan and is not afraid to show it. When she find out that Sheldon has killed off her favirote character in his latest book, the wheels are sit in motion. Annie Wilkes in flicks all sorts of torture on Sheldon from mental to physical.

Stephen King goes in and digs deep with developing the characters and their personalities. Just any unbalanced person Wilkes has her good days and her bad days.

Note: This book can get a bit gruesome, but it truly is a wonderful book!
  Hpfan28 | Jun 21, 2014 |
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169522, Mass Market Paperback)

In Misery (1987), as in The Shining (1977), a writer is trapped in an evil house during a Colorado winter. Each novel bristles with claustrophobia, stinging insects, and the threat of a lethal explosion. Each is about a writer faced with the dominating monster of his unpredictable muse.

Paul Sheldon, the hero of Misery, sees himself as a caged parrot who must return to Africa in order to be free. Thus, in the novel within a novel, the romance novel that his mad captor-nurse, Annie Wilkes, forces him to write, he goes to Africa--a mysterious continent that evokes for him the frightening, implacable solidity of a woman's (Annie's) body. The manuscript fragments he produces tell of a great Bee Goddess, an African queen reminiscent of H. Rider Haggard's She.

He hates her, he fears her, he wants to kill her; but all the same he needs her power. Annie Wilkes literally breathes life into him.

Misery touches on several large themes: the state of possession by an evil being, the idea that art is an act in which the artist willingly becomes captive, the tortured condition of being a writer, and the fears attendant to becoming a "brand-name" bestselling author with legions of zealous fans. And yet it's a tight, highly resonant echo chamber of a book--one of King's shortest, and best novels ever. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:51 -0400)

After a car crash, writer Paul Sheldon is saved by his number one fan. She brought him home, splinted his mangled legs, and all he had to do in return was write a very special book, one all about her favourite character. Because if he didn't, if he was bad, she would be cross - very cross.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible