Misery by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1998), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Misery by Stephen King

English (112)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (118)
I really enjoyed this book. I'll be honest ,I tried to read "Misery's Return" the book Paul was writing,but I just couldn't make myself. Maybe it's because I'd never read a book like Misery's Return.
If you saw the movie which was also very good, you should give this book a try. The movie is a little different than the book,but I enjoyed them both ! ( )
  ralphs007 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Incredible novel. There isn't much creepier than being held captive by and individual's insanity with no way out. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
A scary book apropos of October and Halloween. I read the book quickly back in college right before the movie first came out. The book is more gory than the movie and now reading it a second time (with Kathy Bates etched in my mind as Annie) was creepier for sure.

The theme of the book (Art is an act in which the artists becomes captive) is all the more interesting when you consider that the book was written around the time that King was starting to win his battle over addiction. Given this context, I am almost certain that Annie represents the drugs that both held him captive and fueled the prolificacy and creativity of his earlier career. As the end of the book shows, the ghost of Annie continues to haunt him well after he is rescued.

He writes about a concept called the "gotta" which in a way is the addiction that has always been the basis of the symbiotic relationship between him as a writer and what he refers to as his "Constant Reader". A very fine line between a man of letters and millions of #1 fans.
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
The first of Stephen King's suspense/horror books that I have read. This book is haunting and psychologically demanding (creepy) in much the same fashion as The Collector by John Fowles. A very accessible read with great characters. ( )
  kale.dyer | Dec 17, 2015 |
This is how I got hooked on King. It's a tight novel, no wasted words. It's frankly horrific, his situation and what she does to him. If you are claustrophobic or squeamish then this is the book for you. Almost as good as The Shining... almost. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 22, 2015 |
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169522, Mass Market Paperback)

In Misery (1987), as in The Shining (1977), a writer is trapped in an evil house during a Colorado winter. Each novel bristles with claustrophobia, stinging insects, and the threat of a lethal explosion. Each is about a writer faced with the dominating monster of his unpredictable muse.

Paul Sheldon, the hero of Misery, sees himself as a caged parrot who must return to Africa in order to be free. Thus, in the novel within a novel, the romance novel that his mad captor-nurse, Annie Wilkes, forces him to write, he goes to Africa--a mysterious continent that evokes for him the frightening, implacable solidity of a woman's (Annie's) body. The manuscript fragments he produces tell of a great Bee Goddess, an African queen reminiscent of H. Rider Haggard's She.

He hates her, he fears her, he wants to kill her; but all the same he needs her power. Annie Wilkes literally breathes life into him.

Misery touches on several large themes: the state of possession by an evil being, the idea that art is an act in which the artist willingly becomes captive, the tortured condition of being a writer, and the fears attendant to becoming a "brand-name" bestselling author with legions of zealous fans. And yet it's a tight, highly resonant echo chamber of a book--one of King's shortest, and best novels ever. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

After a car crash, writer Paul Sheldon is saved by his number one fan. She brought him home, splinted his mangled legs, and all he had to do in return was write a very special book, one all about her favourite character. Because if he didn't, if he was bad, she would be cross - very cross.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,119,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible