Misery by Stephen King

Misery (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Stephen King

8,174None381 (3.94)183
Member:JohnnyOstentatious
Title:Misery
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Unabridged Audiobook (1992), Audio CD
Rating:*****

Misery by Stephen King (1987)

Recently added byolgaroederer, private library, AllisonBall, filmbuff1994, Andrew653, JDQ, HavenWood
20th century (27) American (25) American literature (25) ebook (22) fiction (651) first edition (20) hardcover (27) horror (992) horror fiction (21) hostages (17) imprisonment (18) kidnapping (21) King (62) made into movie (33) mental illness (17) movie (22) mystery (22) novel (85) obsession (54) own (30) paperback (26) read (139) Stephen King (160) suspense (93) thriller (166) to-read (61) torture (40) unread (30) writers (42) writing (33)

English (94)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
"MISERY IS ALIVE, MISERY IS ALIVE! OH, This whole house is going to be full of romance, OOOH, I AM GOING TO PUT ON MY LIBERACE RECORDS!" Nuff. Said. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
Wow.
Misery... a thrilling, dark, claustrophobic, occasionally gross, far-fetched yet believable, page-turner which seems to make a game out of pushing all the right buttons at exactly the right time.
Without wanting to spoil anything, Misery is about a writer, Paul Sheldon, who ends up in what turns out to be a pretty bad spot. Think you know what will happen? You don't. Think it can't get any worse for the main character? It does.

I get the impression that Stephen King could probably write about anything at all in a way which would make millions want to read it. Though, the guy can certainly construct a plot as well. Misery is more of a situation-drama than anything else, but every drop of juice has been squeezed out of the premise, in a good way. The story is in many ways driven forward by the main character's state of mind. The way his mind develops, and the way in which this is described, is fascinating and scary in equal measure.
No, this book hasn't had a profound impact on me, and no, I probably won't be thinking about it a week from now, but wow, it was a great ride. It is the perfect read-in-the-dark-in-the-middle-of-the-night book, and is genuinely one you won't want to put down. ( )
  clq | Feb 16, 2014 |
Misery was another Stephen King novel that I could not put down once I started. It did not at all turn out the way I expected, as usual with King. This may be one of my favorite Stephen King novels yet!

The book is situational - the entire plot unfolds mostly in a single house (and most of it in a single room in this house). The reader gets to sit back and watch as the situation unfolds and the characters are brought to life. It is particularly surprising that this book was written before King's accident!!! ( )
  Drmeghollis | Dec 16, 2013 |
This book is much, much better than the movie version. By opening up the story, the movie loses the pervasive sense of claustrophobia that makes the novel so successful. As an example, consider the scene when the writer is trying to escape from his room in a wheelchair while the madwoman holding him hostage is out of the house. Because the story is so tightly focused, in my mind is much more successful than a sprawling novel such as "The Stand". ( )
  datrappert | Nov 21, 2013 |
I didn't go into this book expecting to like it as much as I did. I've never been much of a horror fan, but Misery has won me over and worn me out. While the book is told from the perspective of an author kept captive by a deranged and murderous ex-nurse, Annie Wilkes' tale is the one that's being told. The writing deftly exposes the highs and lows of depression, anxiety, paranoia, obsession, and psychosis, and the lengths to which affected individuals can go to in order to make sense of the world. Any one who has been diagnosed with a mental illness should be able to see some of themselves in the villain, which is the most horrifying truth King exposes. We've all got a little bit of Annie Wilkes in each of us, just waiting for the right set of circumstances to rear it's ugly head. ( )
  srmac235 | Oct 12, 2013 |
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169522, Mass Market Paperback)

In Misery (1987), as in The Shining (1977), a writer is trapped in an evil house during a Colorado winter. Each novel bristles with claustrophobia, stinging insects, and the threat of a lethal explosion. Each is about a writer faced with the dominating monster of his unpredictable muse.

Paul Sheldon, the hero of Misery, sees himself as a caged parrot who must return to Africa in order to be free. Thus, in the novel within a novel, the romance novel that his mad captor-nurse, Annie Wilkes, forces him to write, he goes to Africa--a mysterious continent that evokes for him the frightening, implacable solidity of a woman's (Annie's) body. The manuscript fragments he produces tell of a great Bee Goddess, an African queen reminiscent of H. Rider Haggard's She.

He hates her, he fears her, he wants to kill her; but all the same he needs her power. Annie Wilkes literally breathes life into him.

Misery touches on several large themes: the state of possession by an evil being, the idea that art is an act in which the artist willingly becomes captive, the tortured condition of being a writer, and the fears attendant to becoming a "brand-name" bestselling author with legions of zealous fans. And yet it's a tight, highly resonant echo chamber of a book--one of King's shortest, and best novels ever. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:51 -0400)

After a car crash, writer Paul Sheldon is saved by his number one fan. She brought him home, splinted his mangled legs, and all he had to do in return was write a very special book, one all about her favourite character. Because if he didn't, if he was bad, she would be cross - very cross.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible