Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can…

Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

Member:FBCClibrary
Title:Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them
Authors:Liz Curtis Higgs
Info:WaterBrook Press (2000), Edition: Limited, Hardcover, 256 pages

Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn From Them by Liz Curtis Higgs (1999)

Title: Really Bad Girls of the Bible
Author: Liz Curtis Higgs
Publisher: WaterBrook
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"Really Bad Girls of the Bible" by Liz Curtis Higgs

My Thoughts....

I loved this author's goal of writing this book..."My goal is simple: to help women embrace the grace of God with joy and abandon!" and I think she did a wonderful job at it. I will say I was able to learn from the read. Some of these characters I hadn't read about and it was quite interesting reading about them in the modern day version. I was definitely found opening up my Bible to read about these 'bad girls' and definitely looking at their stories quite differently seeing how God pulled them through it all.

It was quite interesting in seeing so many of these traits that were portrayed by these 'bad girls' can be found in us today. Wow, some things just don't change! This author does a wonderful job at relating the 'Biblical archetypes to the what is going on now,' giving us some 'humor, empathy and intellect.'

There is also discussion questions and study guide for ones personal use or for your a study groups that are included.

If you are looking for a informative and interesting read about 'Really Bad Girls of the Bible' I would recommend read to you as a good read.

I received this book from Blogging for Books to read and review. ( )
  arlenadean | Oct 22, 2016 |
An AWFUL book. BAD romance novel masquerading as Bible study. With worse theology. Apparently, all we "girls" need to do to be "good" is obey pappa/God and be loyal to our husband. The only reason this feminist pastor didn't throw it across the room is because it was a library copy.
  revliz | Oct 8, 2016 |
There is so much to learn from this book. It is timeless ( )
  kaylynvh | May 3, 2016 |
Excellent, interesting, at times humorous, always thought-provoking, this book contains lessons on nine of the "bad girls" in the Bible, from Eve to the "sinful woman" who anointed Jesus' feet with her tears. Higgs, closely examines the verses describing each woman and her actions, and gives the reader ideas for ways each story can connect to our modern lives. (There is an excellent accompanying DVD, but unfortunately I don't own that.)

I look forward to reading and watching more Bible studies from Liz Curtis Higgs. She is a delight! ( )
  glade1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Liz Curtis Higgs is a speaker and writer that focuses on encouraging Christian women with a funny and down to earth way about her ministry. In her book Bad Girls of the Bible, she focuses on women she considers examples of being bad to the bone, bad for a moment, and bad for a season, but not forever. Eve gets a special place as the first bad girl. The author begins each study with a contemporary retelling of each woman's story, followed by the author's commentary on the biblical story, lessons from each story, and study questions for the reader. An academic this book is not. Higgs does not have an academic theological background, but relied on many commentaries and her husband's expertise as a Ph.D. in Old Testament languages. Neither does the author intend it to be. Nor does she intend it to be a feminist study (Women's Bible Commentary edited by Carol A. Newsom is not one of the commentaries Higgs consulted). In her own words the author intends her presentation to be a balance between old commentators who blame the women for everything and new commentators who blame the men for everything. This book is intended for those interested in a non-critical, down to earth, evangelical, light study of what can be learned from some of the bad (if only momentarily) women in the bible. Within the intended school of Christian thought, this book lends itself very well to group bible studies for women, possibly even older teens. ( )
  MissyAnn | Jul 28, 2014 |
And when she was good
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Always and Forever. To my brilliant husband, Bill Higgs, Ph.D., who has extended more grace to this Former Bad Girl than she ever imagined possible. I love you with all my heart.
Ruthie never saw it coming.

In "Bad Girls of the Bible," author Liz Curtis Higgs offers a clear-sighted, life-changing approach to understanding those "other women" in Scripture - such as Delilah, Jezebel, Rahab, Lot's wife, and others. Liz combines a contemporary retelling of their stories with a solid, verse-by-verse study of their lives and the lessons we can learn from them. These infamous sisters show us how NOT to handle the challenges of life. With her trademark humor and heartfelt encouragement, Liz Curtis Higgs teaches us how to avoid their tragic mistakes and joyfully embrace God's grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

In Bad Girls of the Bible, author Liz Curtis Higgs offers a clear-sighted, life-changing approach to understanding those "other women" in Scripture -- such as Delilah, Jezebel, Rahab, Lot's wife, and others. Liz combines a contemporary retelling of their stories with a solid, verse-by-verse study of their lives and the lessons we can learn from them. Whether they were Bad to the Bone, Bad for a Moment, or Bad for a Season but Not Forever, these infamous sisters show us how not to handle the challenges of life. With her trademark humor and heartfelt encouragement, Liz Curtis Higgs teaches us how to avoid their tragic mistakes and joyfully embrace God's grace. - Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible