Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can…

Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

Member:FBCClibrary
Title:Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them
Authors:Liz Curtis Higgs
Info:WaterBrook Press (2000), Edition: Limited, Hardcover, 256 pages

Bad Girls of the Bible and What We Can Learn From Them by Liz Curtis Higgs (1999)

Liz Curtis Higgs is a speaker and writer that focuses on encouraging Christian women with a funny and down to earth way about her ministry. In her book Bad Girls of the Bible, she focuses on women she considers examples of being bad to the bone, bad for a moment, and bad for a season, but not forever. Eve gets a special place as the first bad girl. The author begins each study with a contemporary retelling of each woman's story, followed by the author's commentary on the biblical story, lessons from each story, and study questions for the reader. An academic this book is not. Higgs does not have an academic theological background, but relied on many commentaries and her husband's expertise as a Ph.D. in Old Testament languages. Neither does the author intend it to be. Nor does she intend it to be a feminist study (Women's Bible Commentary edited by Carol A. Newsom is not one of the commentaries Higgs consulted). In her own words the author intends her presentation to be a balance between old commentators who blame the women for everything and new commentators who blame the men for everything. This book is intended for those interested in a non-critical, down to earth, evangelical, light study of what can be learned from some of the bad (if only momentarily) women in the bible. Within the intended school of Christian thought, this book lends itself very well to group bible studies for women, possibly even older teens. ( )
  MissyAnn | Jul 28, 2014 |
BAD GIRLS OF THE BIBLE AND WHAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THEM by Liz Curtis Higgs is a Christian/Women/Bible Study. A humorous look at the Bad Girls of the Bible,Eve, Potiphar's Wife,Delilah,Lot's Wife,Michal,Sapphira,Jezebel,Woman at the Well, Rahab and the Sinful Woman. A powerful story of ten women,bad girls of the Bible are showcased with a bit of fiction added. We all have sinned and fell short. Each and every one of us,including these women. Some of the women of the Bible, had no names, or we never hear of them, such the Women at the Well, the Sinful Woman,Lot's Wife, Potiphar's Wife, how humiliating that must have been, to be only called as whoever's wife,sister and such. Powerful and filled with humor,what not to love. A wonderful look into these women's lives, as well as a little fictional story included. There is even a bit about the author and her own trials and tribulations. Oh and a bible study is included. Once again, Ms. Higgs is a powerful storyteller,her characters,those we know and love,those who are fictional, and those we don't like so much are powerful,charming and realistic. If you would like a look at the tramps of the Bible, although, some are not tramps,pick up "Bad Girls of the Bible" you will be glad you did. I loved it! It is humorous,it is tearful,and you will find you have learned something of the Bible you didn't know or understand before. What a novel approach to a Bible Study! I would recommend it for anyone who loves to read humorous stories with a touch of fiction,a touch of truth and a great read. Received for an honest review from the publisher.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: SWEET

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Aug 9, 2013 |
The Bad Girls of The Bible And What We Can Learn From Them by Liz Curtis Higgs is a wonderful devotional, and the title says it all. The book takes an in-depth look at ten of the Bible’s women; Eve, Potifar’s Wife, Lot’s wife, the woman at the well, Delilah, Sapphira, Rahab, Jezebel, Michal, and the sinful woman, separating them into the categories Bad to the Bone, Bad for a Moment, and Bad for a Season, but Not Forever. Each chapter discusses a different woman, opening with a fictional story set in present-day with the plot of the original story, goes into a verse-by-verse look at the story, and closes with the Lessons We Can Learn and Good Girl Thoughts Worth Considering.

I absolutely loved reading this book. Liz is so thorough in her evaluation of each woman’s account! She explains what is really happening, the deeper meanings of things, translations, the customs of that day, and reads between the lines of the dialogue. I never knew what a lot of their names meant, how symbolic the meanings are, and I certainly never really understood what went on in the conversation between Jesus and the woman at the well until I read this book!

She also looks at the actions of others in the stories, how their actions showed their true selves, and how or if those actions influenced the woman’s overall decision making. Liz also relates things to modern days, whether to tell a story about her own life, to use someone well known today to compare with a biblical figure on ability or looks, to show how satan still uses a certain misled idea in our culture, or to get the reader to consider questions asked in Good Girl Thoughts Worth Considering. In addition to doing all that, the whole book is just completely full of clean, tasteful humor and written in a way that gives it a light and enjoyable read, even as the messages of the stories left me with tears in my eyes. This book has my heart felt recommendation, and a 5 out of 5 stars.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. ( )
  Lyddz101 | May 23, 2011 |
While I was challenged by some of Higgs' perspectives on these Biblical women, I kept getting distracted by her writing and sense of humor that I did not find humorous but cheesy. I appreciated her perspective, but would have enjoyed it more from a different writer. ( )
  aep00a | Jul 23, 2010 |
And when she was good
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Always and Forever. To my brilliant husband, Bill Higgs, Ph.D., who has extended more grace to this Former Bad Girl than she ever imagined possible. I love you with all my heart.
Ruthie never saw it coming.

In "Bad Girls of the Bible," author Liz Curtis Higgs offers a clear-sighted, life-changing approach to understanding those "other women" in Scripture - such as Delilah, Jezebel, Rahab, Lot's wife, and others. Liz combines a contemporary retelling of their stories with a solid, verse-by-verse study of their lives and the lessons we can learn from them. These infamous sisters show us how NOT to handle the challenges of life. With her trademark humor and heartfelt encouragement, Liz Curtis Higgs teaches us how to avoid their tragic mistakes and joyfully embrace God's grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:36 -0400)

In Bad Girls of the Bible, author Liz Curtis Higgs offers a clear-sighted, life-changing approach to understanding those "other women" in Scripture -- such as Delilah, Jezebel, Rahab, Lot's wife, and others. Liz combines a contemporary retelling of their stories with a solid, verse-by-verse study of their lives and the lessons we can learn from them. Whether they were Bad to the Bone, Bad for a Moment, or Bad for a Season but Not Forever, these infamous sisters show us how not to handle the challenges of life. With her trademark humor and heartfelt encouragement, Liz Curtis Higgs teaches us how to avoid their tragic mistakes and joyfully embrace God's grace. - Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,344,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible