You Don't Know Me by David Klass

You Don't Know Me (2001)

by David Klass

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson (samlives2)
    samlives2: Another novel involving a teenage boy and his family and social troubles.
    Tribes by Arthur Slade (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: The protagonists in both books have a very weird, quirky inner voice and habits, as well as having daddy issues.
    Jack Tumor by Anthony McGowan (meggyweg)

This is a wonderous novel by David Klass that is about a mysterious young man named John who gets stepped on by everything and everybody. A middle school reader will ultimately and immediately connect to the wonders of this novel but, it gets boring at times.To me, this is a weaker novel by David. He could have thought John out more with his personality. I almost put the book down after the first twenty-five pages, which seemed as though he rushed through it. As you can see, I have barely anything to write about because the book was a little plain.

But, some parts, like the end, showed David's true side he is as a writer. Intensity, emotion, and magical realism made up for the horrible and unreadable beginning or I would have given this less stars and appreciation. Not as good as The Caretaker Trilogy or Danger Zone (all of which I have read) but all shows that this is the style and greatness by the one and only David Klass. ( )
  br14nama | Oct 13, 2013 |
I found the repetition trite and boring after a time. I get that not all protagonists have to be likeable, and I get that not all protags have to speak or think well, but getting through these sentences felt more like work than encountering a troubled young mind. Read John Green or Ned Vizzini instead. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Sad story. This one didn't really grab me like alot of stories of this type do. Although, at times the writing style I felt was so unique and really sucked me other times it got on my nerves. It was a rather fast read though and at no time did I want to put it down. Kinda tossed with how to rate this one. I would say for an adult reading this a 3 would be right. I would bumped it to a 4 star for younger readers as the subject it dealt with was done with a certain sarcasm that I think Teens/YA would understand and relate to and be okay with. I ,however, rolled my eyes alot. ( )
  justablondemoment | Aug 11, 2013 |
Great story, the author's style was a bit weird, but enjoyable. This is a story of a teenage boy named John who is going through a hard time, and believes no one can help him, and he is all alone. Even though there are people all around him willing to help. ( )
  Victoria22 | May 5, 2013 |
You Dont Know Me
David Klass
2006 copyright
Number of pages: 352

On the surface, John is just like most teens: he goes to high school every day, where he has several good friends and pines over the most popular girl. However, no one knows that every evening John is abused by his stepfather.

This is a terribly sad novel that shows how easily an abused kid can slip through the cracks. Abused and hurt children like John are usually too scared to tell anyone. John is convinced no one knows or cares about him. He's sure his teachers' own lives are so unhappy that they want to make others miserable too. He thinks nothing of leaving his best friend when he's in big trouble, knowing that his friend would do the same to him. And, because we know his secret, he is convinced that we, the readers, are the worst people of all. No one has rescued him yet. Everyone, even his own mother, has let John continue to live in fear. Why should he have faith in anyone?

John finally does get help --- and he lucks out. Help comes without him ever having to speak up. In reality, victims of abuse almost always need to take the terrifying step of telling someone before they get help.

If you like a book that really gets into a character's head or if you have an interest in psychology, this book is for you. Mixed in with his jaded thoughts, John has the same worries and feelings as any of us, making him a completely understandable and likable character. Without being overly dramatic, YOU DON'T KNOW ME packs a lot of action between its covers.
Unfamiliar words: Adamant. page 23. Adjective. insistent. My father is always adamant in brushing my teeth.
Penchant. 54. Noun. strong inclination. i have an strong penchant on doing my friends homework, that's why i like them.
Miser. 77. noun. person who hoards money. my stepfather is a miser, he always ask me to walk rather than to ride my bicycle on my way school.
Euphoria. 165. noun. a strong felling of wellbeing or elation. everytime Charlie smiles at me. euphoria struck me.
lament. 201. express sorrow of. verb. i was lamenting of being alive.
added by Chimuelos | edithttp://www.teenreads.com/reviews/you-dont-know-me, Juan Manuel Trujillo Ch (Mar 1, 2014)

For Giselle
You don't know me.

A surprisingly funny book about a teen boy going through the everyday issues of high school and first love while struggling with his mother's physically abusive boyfriend.

You think you know John? Well, let's see . . . What bathroom fixture did his father have in mind at his birth? Does algebra have a use, besides torture? Who is Glory Halle-lujah? Who is Violent Hayes? What do they want? Who or what are the Lashasa Palulu? Why do fools fall in love? How can anyone who is fighting a secret battle for his life know anyone? And how can they know him?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:35 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old John creates alternative realities in his mind as he tries to deal with his mother's abusive boyfriend, his crush on a beautiful, but shallow classmate and other problems at school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,724,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible