Mad Mary: A Bad Girl from Magdala,…

Mad Mary: A Bad Girl from Magdala, Transformed at His Appearing (2001)

by Liz Curtis Higgs

This is an excellent book about a misunderstood woman. The narrative at the beginning works well with the Biblical picture of Mary. ( )
This was a great book.

The first part is the story of what could of been a current day Mary Magdalene and how she changed.

The second part of the book is about the Biblical Mary and what the bible has to say about her. The lessons we can learn from Mary and her demons, her dedication, her despair, her discovery, her declaration.

And we have a bonus recipe in the back for the current day Mary.

Well done Liz. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
To all who have searched for light in the darkness. To all who have waited for grace to be spoken. To all who have longed for his appearing.
Jake didn't see her until it was too late.
Today I felt pass over me A breath of wind from the wings of madness. (Charles Baudelaire)
We cannot heal the throbbing heart Till we discern the wounds within. (George Crabbe)
We look for God as though he were not already there. Merritt Malloy)
We know not what we do When we speak words. (Percy Bysshe Shelley)
Originally published and catalogued by LoC as Mad Mary:a bad girl from Magdala, transformed at His appearing.

(THE STORY) Contemporary Chicago is the backdrop for a story of disgrace and redemption, paralleling the Biblical account of Mary Magdalene. (THE STUDY) Myths and misconceptions are examined and debunked, showing their erroneous sources and conclusions. All the Biblical references to Mary of Magdala are used to reveal what is KNOWN of her and to draw lessons for the Christian today. Questions are included for use with a Bible study group.

A fictional account of Mary Margaret Delaney in contemporary Chicago, whose story parallels the life of Mary Magdalene, is followed by a study of the first-century Mary Magdalene and her encounters with Christ.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible