Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the…

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't (edition 2001)

by Jim Collins

4,76451982 (4)18
Member:brianst
Title:Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
Authors:Jim Collins
Info:HarperBusiness (2001), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 300 pages
Rating:***

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by James C. Collins

English (49)  Korean (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
For Ed, With best wishes, Jim Collins
  efeulner | May 2, 2014 |
I loved the way the book started - Good is the enemy of great.

I have read a few business books, but soon I realized that this book is meant particularly for people who are already in some kind of managerial/entrepreneurial position.

Although I enjoyed the Hedgehog concept, the later chapters definitely require deeper understanding and management experience. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
This is the best book on leadership I have read in a while. I particularly related to the emphasis placed on the humility and reserved nature of the great company leaders described in this book. Whilst admiring the clarity with which Collins describes the key elements of companies that have made the steps up from being good to great, I did feel some of the terms used to describe these ideas were grating at times - when you have read the word hedgehog numerous times you will understand what I mean!

Overall, an excellent book from which I have learnt an enormous amount, ( )
  mark_lewis | Aug 19, 2013 |
Recommended by Beth Ankcorn
  SFCC | Jun 4, 2013 |
The chapter on leadership was very good and completely applicable to any time period. Where the book misses is in using specific company examples; a few of which are no longer around. I also thought there were too many charts and the appendix was a bit overwhelming - perhaps meant more for an academic textbook. It could become a classic with some editing- I so agree with the premise that most are comfortable with just being "good" - life is easier and more comfortable. The leap to great is more rare. ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
Jim Collins new book is titled Good To Great. If you haven't read it yet, buy, beg, or borrow it. It's that important.
Collins calls Good To Great a "prequel" to his hugely successful Built To Last. I call it the most important Business Leadership book I have read in a long time.

Collins, James C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tillman, MaaritTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Pourquoi certaines entreprises affichant des performances plutot moyennes décolent ils soudain pour rejoinder le peloton de tete?

Peandant 5 ans Jim Collins et sn équipe de chercheurs se sont attelés à cette vaste question pour débusquer le secret de la conversion à l'excellence. Onze entreprises , retenues pour leur performances boursières très supérieures à celles de leur secteur , ont été comparées à leurs concurrentes . Les conclusions qui en ressortent sont étonnantes !

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0066620996, Hardcover)

Five years ago, Jim Collins asked the question, "Can a good company become a great company and if so, how?" In Good to Great Collins, the author of Built to Last, concludes that it is possible, but finds there are no silver bullets. Collins and his team of researchers began their quest by sorting through a list of 1,435 companies, looking for those that made substantial improvements in their performance over time. They finally settled on 11--including Fannie Mae, Gillette, Walgreens, and Wells Fargo--and discovered common traits that challenged many of the conventional notions of corporate success. Making the transition from good to great doesn't require a high-profile CEO, the latest technology, innovative change management, or even a fine-tuned business strategy. At the heart of those rare and truly great companies was a corporate culture that rigorously found and promoted disciplined people to think and act in a disciplined manner. Peppered with dozens of stories and examples from the great and not so great, the book offers a well-reasoned road map to excellence that any organization would do well to consider. Like Built to Last, Good to Great is one of those books that managers and CEOs will be reading and rereading for years to come. --Harry C. Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:15 -0400)

Some companies are great because greatness has been programed into their DNA from the very beginning, but what about the companies not born with great DNA? Can they achieve enduring greatness. The author tells us how.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible