Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on…

Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street (1989)

by Michael Lewis

English (38)  French (1)  All languages (39)
The more things change, the more things stay the same. So much of what I thought was novel or curious about Wall Street in the 1990s and 2000s was right there in the early 1980s, same as ever.

Also, Michael Lewis is unequaled at the art of turning numbers into human drama. ( )
  benjamin.lima | Mar 21, 2016 |
Finished this on the plane to Rio. Definitely know more about mortgage bonds, bond trading, and Wall Street in the 80s than I did before. I felt three stars represented how much enjoyment I got out of the book, but considering that the subject matter is of about 1 star of interest to me, I cannot really imagine enjoying any book on this topic more, so maybe it deserves more stars. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Wow! If you don't already hate Wall Street bankers (or investment bankers where-ever they may be based), read this book to revive your sense of revulsion. Indicative of zero sum game our society has descended to. ( )
  hhornblower | Feb 4, 2016 |
A very good read, and despite being 20 years old (or so) quite illuminating as to our current financial crisis. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
Not particularly interesting, but not horrible either. ( )
  melaniefaith | Dec 2, 2015 |
It doesn't hurt that Lewis is a fantastic writer with a particular talent for explaining the minutae of investment banking without making you want to gouge your own eyes out.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 3, 2008)

In fiction there was Bonfire of the Vanities; in reality, there is Liar's Poker--the fascinating insider's account of what really happens on Wall Street. This irreverent and hilarious birds-eye view of Wall Street's heyday will appeal to anyone intrigued by the allure of million dollar deals. Now in trade paper. First serial to Manhattan Inc.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

The author recounts his experiences on the lucrative Wall Street bond market of the 1980s, where young traders made millions quickly and easily, in a humorous account of greed and epic folly

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393027503, 039333869X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible