Blood In The Water by Gillian Galbraith

Blood In The Water

by Gillian Galbraith

At thirty-five years old, Alice Rice is a police detective with the Edinburgh Police Department. She is smart, savvy and eminently capable at her job. When she first entered the police department, Alice was a fresh-faced optimist, convinced that she could make a difference in the world. These days, while she remains optimistic, that feeling has dimmed somewhat in the face of all she has seen, leaving her severely disillusioned and very lonely.

Amid her own personal and private battle, Alice must solve several grisly murders of professional people in Edinburgh. As the body count begins to rise, she races against time and matches wits with an implacable, faceless killer; someone who is targeting the affluent area of New Town, and who seems determined to make certain members of Edinburgh's professional elite pay dearly for what they've done.

Blood in the Water is Gillian Galbraith's debut novel and what a debut it was! This story was very well-written, and I really liked the character of Alice Rice. The plot was surprisingly refreshing and very Scottish. When I was younger, I often visited Edinburgh and reading this book just brought back such good memories of my travels. I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery and give Blood in the Water by Gillian Galbraith an A+! I certainly will keep my eyes open for more books to read by this author. ( )
1 vote moonshineandrosefire | Sep 24, 2014 |
"Blood in the water. The sharks were circling the Pearson's exit, waiting for a tidbit of flesh, alert and active but not yet frenzied. Alice caught sight of the re-lipped giantess at the back, jostling with the rest of them, elbows raised, craning for a view of any of the members of the 'grieving family' as they emerged." Nice description of the press, isn't it? ;-) Galbraith has provided in Detective Sergeant Alice Rice a female equivalent to Stuart McBride's Logan McRae.... in other words, a likeable, well balanced police detective. Yes she has her weaknesses but they are not of the moody, alcoholic imbued or attitude-projecting types. The mystery is another race against time to find a multiple killer in the lead up to the Christmas holidays - what is it with Tartan Noir books, the cold month of December and a city with a possibly related death every couple of days to be investigated? Do any of these stories take place in the summer time when Scotland is thronging with tourists and festivals? Just curious.

Galbraith has taken her real life experience as an advocate (similar to a barrister, public defender or prosecutor) practicing at the Scottish Bar, specializing in medical negligence while writing this story and her knowledge of the field really shows. I could have done with out the inclusion of what would have been the written judgement but I can see why Galbraith chose that route when writing her story, as opposed to providing a summary of the judgement. The case is as good one but for some reason it lacked the page turning effect I would have expected for a police procedural trying to track down a murderer over the course of 17 days and a climbing body count. It is good, and I do want to continue reading more books in the series, but it just wasn't a riveting read for me. Maybe I am starting to experience Tartan Noir burnout. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Aug 20, 2014 |
An interesting plot set in authentic Edinburgh locations which would be very familiar to fans of Rebus. Encouraged me to find more of her novels. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jun 23, 2012 |
A very good debut for DS Alice Rice. The narrative isn't padded out unnecessarily and the characters avoid most of the usual stereotyping of police and the downtrodden masses. Edinburgh is in the background rather than forced on the reader. ( )
  VictorTrevor | Dec 23, 2011 |

We follow Edinburgh's latest fictional detective Alice Rice as she races against time and an implacable killer to solve a series of grisly murders amongst Edinburgh's professional elite in the well-to-do New Town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible