Quest for a Maid by Frances May Hendry

Quest for a Maid (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Frances May Hendry

322634,434 (4.25)1 / 13
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Quest for a Maid
Authors:Frances May Hendry
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (1992), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed, Amazon
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, age: young adult, genre: historical fantasy, read 2006, read 2007, strong women

Quest for a Maid by Frances Mary Hendry (1990)

Read during Summer 2003

A well-written and very enjoyable children's story about a bit of Scottish history I knew nothing about. King Alexander dies suddenly in an accident and a struggle for power ensues among various royal family members. The King of England deciedes to solve it by bringing the very young Princess Margaret of Norway to wed his son and rule the country. The heroine is Meg, daughter of a Norse shipbuilder. Her oldest sister, Inge, becomes involved in the struggles for power via her witchcraft and Meg via her bethrothal to a merchant's son. The merchant is called to transport the Maid of Norway to her new home but Inge plots her death instead. I think Brittish kids would get more from it and I would have liked a map of Scotland in front of me but very enjoyable.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
This wee bittie book is a powerful re-imagining of a couple of different historical events which dovetail nicely here. I saw some of it coming, but not all by any means. The characters are finely drawn, especially Meg and Davie and Peem. Sir Patrick Spens is a hoot. The plot moves along at a brisk clip, and keeps one engaged throughout.

It did start off a bit slow, with a good deal of telling in the 'As you already know, Bob' vein, but once through that, it soared. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This was one of my favorite books as a child. The characters are rich and appealing to a child and the story-telling is addictive. The ending, however, I remember being weak. I recently re-read this book and found my adult self agreeing with my child self. Much to be desired of the conclusion. ( )
  aiuliano | Mar 10, 2010 |
This is a historical fantasy, about the kings of the British Isles and what might have happened if magic existed. And it's a good story, about a young girl with more compassion and strength than she realizes - she runs around willy-nilly saving lives and befriending outcasts, not even realizing that she's doing unusual things. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Feb 9, 2010 |
Set in 13th Century Scotland, the story opens with the death (murder via witchcraft) of King Alexander III. This is the story of Meg, a well-to-do girl of almost marriageable age who is in the wrong place at the right time again and again to watch (or shape) the way history unfolds.

A friend gave me a copy of A Little Princess for my 10th birthday, a book I already owned, so we took it back to the children's bookstore from which it had been purchased. At the time I pretty much only read Sci-Fi/Fantasy, the books my mother read, and was spectacularly uninterested in books aimed at my age-range. But I needed a book and we didn't have much time and it advertised kings and magic and adventure... I loved it. It's fun, and a fast read, and it's richly researched. And then it sat on my shelf for 18 years until, this last month when I resolved to cut my library by a third. "I should read this again before I go to Scotland!" I thought to myself. It's still as lovely as it was then -and- it's set in Inverkeithing, now Inverness, the city I'm going to visit :o)

Note: This book makes free, historically accurate, use of the word "bitch." It's never used as a weapon ("'Wake up, you wee bitch, you dare die on me now and I'll kill you!'") but it does seem, to the modern ear, like quite strong language compared to the rest of the book ("Drat that, I thought. And changed my mind: No, this is an emergency; To hell with that!"). ( )
  noirem | Aug 12, 2009 |

Meg Wright is nine when she hides under a table and hears her sister Inge kill the King of Scotland by witchcraft, setting in motion a treacherous power struggle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:39 -0400)

Aware of her older sister's powers of sorcery, which have been used to help secure the Scottish throne for Robert de Brus, Meg realizes she must try to protect the young Norwegian princess who has been chosen as rightful heir.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible