Bed by Tao Lin

Bed (2007)

by Tao Lin

193561,059 (3.7)8
    Like Life by Lorrie Moore (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Tao Lin has acknowledged Like Life's influence on his story-collection Bed.

Bed was a random book selection after one of those long "what do I want to read next?" flits around the bookstore - I'm so glad that I made the choice.

Lin's writing is beautiful - expressive, modern, eccentric without being trite. Dissecting his characters' feelings of boredom, loneliness, dissatisfaction, alienation and unhappiness in a manner which occasionally took my breath away. It's funny, thought-provoking, and often quite moving (the final paragraph in the story 'Sasquatch' being particularly poignant).

Looking around at other work by Tao I wasn't surprised to see he's also written a book of poetry, as much of this book seems (to me at least) very poetic in its approach.

"There was a building that was Colin's future, a tall and glassy place that he'd have to enter, and if he didn't fill it, he'd end up wandering the floors, wheeling around on an office chair, rolling his own body on the carpet, like a log". ( )
  birdsofparadise | Apr 30, 2013 |
Mono-tonal. ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
dear tao, i read this whole book while holding my breath. i wanted to close my eyes as well to keep everything inside me, but i couldn't keep reading that way. i stayed in bed. i climbed onto the roof. i exhaled. it was marvelous and unusual and i couldn't believe it. i believed it. ( )
  werdfert | Oct 13, 2010 |
A funny witty and true collection of stories. I was intrigued by about the first half of the stories but as I neared the end the last 3 stories really made the book for me, they were laugh out loud funny and yet humbly human. Quite possibly my favorite part of Tao Lin's writing is how clear he can relate the feelings of this generations early adults. Some of his stories are very sad and felt depressing, but I was glad to read them for how intriguing he made the situations. I recommend EEEE EEE EEEEE greatly as well, there were a bit more laughs in the novel, but these stories aren't to be passed up. ( )
  kontam | Sep 13, 2008 |
Suprisingly good. Tao Lin might grate on you as a personality but his writing is good -- and he's YOUNG. He'll get even better. Definitely recommend this over the novel.
1 vote Jabes | Aug 7, 2007 |
This was the month that people began to suspect that terrorists had infiltrated Middle America, set up underground tunnels in the rural areas, like gophers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible