The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales…

The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World (1981)

by Ethel Johnston Phelps

Other authors: Lloyd Bloom (Illustrator)

These read as if only inspired by tradition - the style of the retellings doesn't have the glamour and magic of the truly old tales. The book is designed to look like a scholarly text, to be used in Women's Studies programs, but the notes are much too brief. I, personally, didn't care for the artwork.

I'd be more likely to recommend a brand-new story about a kick-a* woman who makes her own way her entire life, instead of being satisfied with these stories about women who were admired simply because they cleverly or courageously chose their own husbands. So, it's a worthy addition to a collection for the widely read and the curious, but nothing I'd actually recommend to child, adult, or scholar. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Phelps adapts 21 fairy tales about strong women. In some cases her adaptation is pretty much a new story that she wrote based on folklore, to which I have no objection. She explains what she's doing in the preface and her source material is listed in the back of the book. I found the tales very readable and interesting.

Later: comparing these to her sources, I found that she often changed substantial elements of the tale without explaining that in the preface. Also there are some egregious errors in the authors and titles in her notes on source material. The tales are still fine reading, but if you're doing scholarship, you'll have to do a bit of digging. ( )
  aulsmith | Feb 6, 2015 |
An excellent anthology of fairy tales from around the world. I consider it a fine addition to my collection of fairy tale books. I recommend for anyone interested in good fairy tales or who is a fairy tale scholar. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 20, 2014 |
This book contains 21 folk tales from around the world (although with an emphasis on Northern Europe) that feature independent, strong women with roles central to the story. The accompanying illustrations of full-bodied (ala Rubens) women and men are perfectly fitting. Despite not usually being a big fan of folk or fairy tales, I was pleasantly surprised to find these stories all delightfully interesting. I would definitely recommend, for children or adults. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jul 24, 2010 |

Ethel Johnston Phelpsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bloom, LloydIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chu, JoyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A collection of twenty-one folk and fairy tales from around the world featuring clever heroines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,467,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible