Shapechanger's Song (Chronicles of the…

Shapechanger's Song (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, Bk. 1: Shapechangers and… (edition 2001)

by Jennifer Roberson

Member:Veronica.Templar
Title:Shapechanger's Song (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, Bk. 1: Shapechangers and Bk. 2: The Song of Homana)
Authors:Jennifer Roberson
Info:DAW (2001), Paperback, 624 pages
Tags:Fantasy

Shapechanger's Song by Jennifer Roberson

Shapechangers: The first time I read these books, it was Christmas time, 1991 and I was 11. At the time, Alix was my favorite character, I was entranced by the romance between Alix and Duncan, and more than a little disappointed to find out that the second book wasn't directly about the two of them. There were a lot of things about the writing and characters I think I missed because I was so young... rereading it now (at 30) I still like it, but I don't find I have nearly the same attachment to those two (in fact, they almost get on my nerves at times). The writing is still more to my taste than 90% of what's out there in fantasy fiction, but now that I've read a good portion of the rest of her work, I can also see how much *better* her writing has gotten over the years. Sometimes it feels a little bit like she's trying too hard to sound "fantasy-ish" - and Alix and her reactions to things and predicatments are kind of repetitive. Overall though, it's still one of my favorite books/series and will always be near and dear to my heart.

Song of Homana: ( )
  cybermathwitch | Feb 6, 2014 |
The first book in this series is my all time favorite book. I have read it many many times. Jennifer Roberson has masterfuly created a world where you can be hunted down and killed because of the things you can do. These books are a sweeping tale of several generations of a family and their struggle for survival and their sturggle to fulfill a prophesy that could save them all from destruction. This in my opinion is one of the best fantasy series ever written. ( )
  lexi1022 | Apr 24, 2010 |
This omnibus of the Chronicles of the Cheysuli contains Shapechangers and The Song of Homana. The eight book series (or four omnibus volumes) spans generations of a people whose prophecy it is to unite two magical races and four warring realms.

Shapechangers introduces the reader to the Cheysuli, a magical race of people who each bond with a special animal and are gifted with the ability to take on that animal's shape. As a race, they are banned by the king, feared and killed by the populace, and fighting for survival.

In Song of Homana, the Cheysuli fight a war to put a man on the throne who is grandson to the King, but friend to their race.

Each book in the epic tells a unique story in its own right, while the whole builds to prophetic conclusion. The settings and characters are distinct personalities in their own right and fun to read. Roberson weaves together action, adventure, royal bloodlines, and love stories to tell a history of a people in a compelling manner. I highly recommend the entire series. ( )
  imayb1 | Jul 24, 2007 |
I read this book because Like shape-shifters and went on to read the entire series (original printing) The only Fantasy series I actually read all of. ( )
  thewere8472 | Mar 29, 2007 |

Jennifer Robersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, YvonneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapechangers- For all those who believe in fantasy, and the special few who believed in me.
The Song of Homana - To Marion Zimmer Bradley, for daydreams and realities
&
Besty Wollheim, for making mine better.
She sat by the creek, half-hidden by lush grasses. (Shapechangers)
I peered through the storm, trying to see Finn. (The Song of Homana)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886779766, Mass Market Paperback)

Shapechangers

They were the Cheysuli, a race of magical warriors gifted with the ability to assume animal shape at will. For centuries they had been allies to the King of Homana, treasured champions of the realm. Until a king’s daughter ran away with a Cheysuli liege man and caused a war of annihilation against the Cheysuli race. Twenty-five years later the Cheysuli were hunted exiles in their own land, feared for their sorcery, their shapechanging.

This is the story of Alix, the daughter of that ill-fated union between Homanan princess and Cheysuli warrior, and her struggle to master the call of magic in her blood, and accept her place in an ancient prophecy she cannot deny.

The Song of Homana

For five long years the land of Homana had been strangling in the grasp of a usurper king—its people ravaged by strife, poverty and despair; its magical race, the Cheysuli, forced to flee or face extermination at the hands of their evil counterparts, the sorcerous Ilhini.

The time had come for Prince Carillon, Homana’s rightful ruler, to return from exile with his Cheysuli liege man, free his land from the evil domination of the tyrant Bellam and his villainous magicians, restore the Cheysuli to their rightful position of grace, and claim his birthright. To do this, he would not only have to raise an army, but overcome the fear and prejudice of an ignorant population and answer the call of a prophecy he never chose to serve!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:55 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,278,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible