When Demons Walk by Patricia Briggs

When Demons Walk

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Sianim (3)

A fun fantasy novel about a mage born thief who poses as a flippant mistress to a lord in order to find a disguised demon hidden at court. It is a stand-alone novel in a book series set in the world of Sianim [Masques, Wolsfbane, Steal The Dragon].

When Demons Walk is considered a stand-alone novel however it utilizes an established magic system that may be overwhelming to new readers unfamiliar to the series. For a more rounded and enjoyable experience I would recommend this book be read last in the series as opposed to third. The story itself is a fun mystery with interesting new characters and a new region of Sianim to explore.

The Sianim series is a set of Patricia Briggs' earliest work. It lacks the caliber of her popular Mercy Thompson series however I believe this book is one of the more polished out of Sianim that shows a greater grasp of prose, description, dialogue, and focused point of view. The subtle romance is also threaded through the story better. When Demons Walk is one of the better composed books of Sianim and I found it a good addition to the series. ( )
  eloquent_codex | Apr 14, 2014 |
Very good book, typically one of those books that left me a taste of moreish when I finished it! There could have been so much more to be told in this story :) ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Re-read #5 (4/17/2012): I tend to skim the opening, read every word in the palace, and follow the demon mythology closely. This is a fantastic mix of mystery and mythology. Sham is among my favorite heroines, she's funny and complex and utterly capable. I would have loved to see more of her and Kerim, but this book is very satisfying on it's own. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Great fantasy with an enjoyable hero and heroine from the conquerors and the conquered! I don't think I've run across this particular method of getting rid of a demon before, but I liked it. I also enjoyed the reactions from said hero and heroine when confronted with the reality of what they assumed wasn't real.

Royo is the artist for the cover showing a blonde on a rope and wood ladder with rock above, rocks below, and crashing waves. Shamera isn't as pretty as depicted, and she was more sensibly dressed (not to mention that she didn't have her knife in her teeth), but I give the artist credit for mostly capturing a scene from the book. ( )
  JalenV | Apr 6, 2013 |
Ein gutes Fantasy-buch, das nicht den üblichen Klisches folgt, sondern eine eigenständige Geschichte bietet. ( )
  volumed42 | Jan 27, 2012 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for my siblings who've all contributed to my books :

Clyde Rowland who introduced me to Dick Francis and Louis L'amour;
Jean Matteucci who introduced me to Rice Krispies cookies, Mary Stewart and Barbara Michaels;
Ginny Mohl who introduced me to Andre Norton and Marion Zimmer Bradley;
and to my sisters' husbands Dan and Greg, for putting up with me all these years. Love ya all.
Sham sat on a low stone fence in the shadows of an alley pulling on her boots.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441005349, Mass Market Paperback)

After escaping from a life of slavery in Darran, Rialla plans revenge against her former masters—only to be chosen to protect a Darran lord planning to outlaw slavery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

Shamera, the daughter of a minor noble, is forced to turn thief when her homeland is invaded and occupied by the Eastern Empire. After years of life on spent in theft and sabotage, her master is killed by supernatural means. To track down the demonic killer that is murdering the natives and the occupants alike, Shamera reluctantly joins forces with the Eastern governor.--Internet Speculative Fiction db (viewed March 31, 2011, http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?21946).… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible