Emmett's Pig by Mary Stolz

Emmett's Pig (1959)

by Mary Stolz

Other authors: Rosemary Wells (Illustrator), Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Series: I Can Read Books (Level 2)

BRCSBooks | Sep 1, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud as his reader.

Even though we are missing the first few pages of this book it really didn't matter to the story. We could easily tell what had been discussed on the missing pages as it was recapped for us on a further page. This is a darling book! The story is about a boy who just loves pigs and has his whole room decorated with pigs and pig everything. He wants a pig of his own but they live in the city so his parents always so no. Emmett has dreamed everything about owning his own pig, how he'll care for it and even what he'll name it. But then along comes his birthday and his parents have a surprise for him.

I picked up this book because I pick up anything Garth Williams illustrated and I used to read Mary Stolz as a young teen. I thought it was unusual that she had done an I Can Read Book. Well, ds loved the story because it was about a boy obsessed with something and ds, being autistic, is always obsessed with something so he knows how it feels and he laughed and got excited for this boy. I loved the book because it is so darling! The story is just plain good old-fashioned wholesomeness, no gimmicks, no big actions scenes; just a story about a boy and a pig. The illustrations are gorgeous and I just love them. As we were reading I wondered if the book was still in print, seeing as Williams is such a favourite but then came the pictures of the Father smoking a pipe and I knew that if it was still in print it would probably have been re-illustrated. My absolute favourite picture in the book is of the family in the living room and Emmett is asking for the pig. We some mum and dad in chairs. Mum is in a dress with matching necklace, feet in slippers resting on a footstool, reading a book. Dad is right beside her wearing a sweater, shirt and tie, leaning back in an easy chair with pipe clenched firmly in mouth whilst reading the paper. Emmett stands next to them. Lovely nostalgic picture done in peach and green. I see that the book is out of print now but it was re-published back in 2006 as a paperback I Can Read Book and "Garth Williams's original illustrations appear now in full color with help from renowned artist Rosemary Wells." So the lovely 2 tone peachy-pink and green colours of the original are gone and I'd be interested to know if Dad's mouth is empty! Worth adding the original to your collection. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jan 31, 2011 |

Mary Stolzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Emmett really wanted a pig -- not a stuffed pig, or a glass pig, or a picture of a pig. He wanted a real pig. His parents explained that a boy couldn't keep a pig in a city apartment. But as Emmett's birthday drew near, he felt maybe he would get the pig of his dreams.

First published as An I Can Read Book in 1959, Mary Stolz's warm story is presented here in picture-book format with Garth Williams's illustrations fully colorized by renowned artist Rosemary Wells.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:36 -0400)

Emmett loves pigs, but when his parents refuse to move to a farm or let him raise a pig in their apartment, he runs out of ideas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,150,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible