A River Runs Through It {story} by Norman…

A River Runs Through It {story}

by Norman Maclean

5191119,506 (4.11)62
    This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind by Ivan Doig (browner56)
    browner56: Elegiac and beautifully written memoirs of growing up in Montana at the beginning of the last century.
    The River Why by David James Duncan (stretch)

4.5 stars ... Beautifully written autobiographical novel of two brothers and their father, and their mutual love of one another and of fly fishing. How can you help someone who doesn't want to be helped? Is loving him the only thing you can do? Is that enough? I'm not a fisherman, so the details of fishing were wasted on me, though I still appreciate his poetic descriptions / explanation. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 13, 2016 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-f8
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-f8 ( )
  Saretta.L | Jul 26, 2013 |
Thus is a lovely lyrical story of brothers growing up in western Montana, connected to each other and their father by the river and their love of fly fishing. It's a story of trying to save someone you love who is going down a dangerous path; of loving and being family and accepting your own limitations in the light of another's all-too-human bad decisions.

Opening paragraph: "In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly-fishing. We lived at the junction of a great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."

In many ways this story parallels my own growing up in the city the river runs through and my father's attempts to ground his own life with a rod and line and the solitude of creeks and forest.

Author Norman Maclean was often in the little bookstore where I worked in the 70's--although that became less frequent after this book came out.

This audiobook version is read by Montana and Northwest writer Ivan Doig. I honestly can't imagine a better reader for this story. I have read the print version of this book many times over the years, and couldn't resist picking up this audio vedition with this reader. All my expectations of Doig as the reader were met.

But.... I was disappointed to discover that this recording is only the first one of the three novellas in the book A River Runs Through It. I miss the other two.

4.5 stars for the story and the writing.
4.5 stars for Ivan Doig's reading.
2 stars for the disappointment of finding this is only the first of the three novellas in the book A River Runs Through It. ( )
  streamsong | Jul 3, 2013 |
A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean is an interesting piece of nonfiction - almost a memoir, in fact. It is very... deep, and considerably spiritual. Not deep as in “this is seriously excellent thematic literature” deep, but deep as in it holds some weight for the author, specifically because it is literally a scene from his life. Overall, the book has a comforting and serene feel, the likes of which I have never encountered before in a book.

The book seemed to primarily focus on unrest in the lives of two men that featured roles in the author’s life. However, neither of them resolved their unrest. One was the author’s brother-in-law, Neil, who was a rather weak man heading down the wrong path. And so Norman and his brother, Paul, decide to take him out to go fly fishing, which seems to be the cure for any type of unrest out in Montana. Sadly, Neil is from California, and fishes with bait, and even then doesn’t really care for fishing. And so Norman and Paul find him passed out naked with his girlfriend on the riverbank when they are done. Neil then returns to California, never to be seen again, and still retaining his old habits and wrong path. The second man dealing with unrest is Paul, who is a superb fisherman but is loaded with problems, including alcoholism, gambling (and the debt it brings), a so-so job, and a knack for getting into fights, this last one leading to an arrest, not to mention his death. He is also taken to go fly fishing on a separate occasion, but it hardly helps him, the entire event in the book only emphasizing a small variety of Paul’s traits, such as determination.

The beginning of the book starts off slowly, providing lots of background and even instructions on how to perform a roll cast (a dismaying section which is commonly taken to be an indicator of how dull the rest of the book will be - it is not that dull). Luckily, it picks up later on and manages to keep a good general pace. I would say 3 stars, but some of that could be attributed to it not really being my type of book. ( )
  br13wivan | Mar 26, 2013 |
If you don't at least know the title of this book you have been living under a rock somewhere. This has been a hit movie as well as a best selling book. It has had definite staying power since published in 1976. Comprised of three semi-autobiographical novellas the title story is the most popular and best known of the three. In fact, a lot of reviews don't really mention the other two stories which are equally as good. Even the back of the 1992 copy I read recapped only the title story - about a family of fishermen. Father is a minister who instilled a love of fly fishing in his two sons. One son is an alcoholic while the other tries to balance a marriage with his love of the Montana wilderness. What is missing is mention of the two other stories: "Logging and Pimping and 'Your Pal, Jim'" and "USFS 1919: The Ranger, the cook, and a Hole in the Sky." The first is exactly what it sounds like, logging, pimping and a relationship with a logger named Jim. The USFS story is about MacLean as a teenager working as a forest ranger. While it is a subtle detail it is interesting to note MacLean's stories have a reverse chronology. MacLean is in his 30s in "A River Runs Through It," in his 20s in "Logging," and in his teens in "USFS 1919." ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 4, 2012 |

Maclean, NormanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing.
Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them—we can love completely without complete understanding.
My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.

This handsome edition is designed and illustrated by Barry Moser. There are thirteen two-color wood engravings.

"A masterpiece. . . . This is more than stunning fiction: It is a lyric record of a time and a life, shining with Maclean's special gift for calling the reader's attention to arts of all kinds—the arts that work in nature, in personality, in social intercourse, in fly-fishing."—Kenneth M. Pierce, Village Voice

"Wise, witty, wonderful, Maclean spins his tales, casts his flies, fishes the rivers and woods for what he remembers of his youth in the Rockies."—Barbara Bannon, Publishers Weekly

"Maclean's book is surely destined to be one of those rare memoirs that can be called a masterpiece. . . . Earthy, whimsical, authoritative, wise; it touches the heart without blushing and traces lasting images for the eye. . . . This book is a gem."—Nick Lyons, Fly-Fisherman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

From its first magnificent sentence, "In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing", to the last, "I am haunted by waters", A River Runs Through It is an American classic. Based on Norman Maclean's childhood experiences, A River Runs Through It has established itself as one of the most moving stories of our time; it captivates readers with vivid descriptions of life along Montana's Big Blackfoot River and its near magical blend of fly fishing with the troubling affections of the heart.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598870335, 1615731121

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598870335, 1615731121

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,943,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible