John Henry by Julius Lester

John Henry (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Julius Lester, Jerry Pinkney (Illustrator)

Member:melissadorish
Title:John Henry
Authors:Julius Lester
Other authors:Jerry Pinkney (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (1994), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Folklore, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:African Americans, folktales, perseverance, living life to the fullest

John Henry (Picture Puffins) by Julius Lester (1994)

Although this version of the John Henry legend is a little bit different than some I’ve read, I enjoyed the book. For starters, the illustrations are wonderfully done in watercolor and bring the story to life. The story itself is fun and would appeal to little boys everywhere. When you hear about a man that is, “stronger than ten men, and can dig through a mountain faster than a steam drill,” the image is unforgettable. I also loved the way Julius Lester makes us feel like we’re hearing the story from someone we know, since his “great-granddaddy’s brother’s cousin’s sister-in-law’s uncle’s aunt” witnessed one of the events! ( )
  flackm | Jul 14, 2015 |
Unstoppable from birth, John Henry is pitted against a machine in a competition of strength.
  troberts719 | Jul 4, 2015 |
John Henry is a folk tale about a man larger and stronger than life. His strength is known far and wide and so is he. The legend tells that he died by successfully cutting through a mountain faster than a steam drill machine. Interesting folklore for children. ( )
  dorthys | Mar 15, 2015 |
I loved the illustrations by Pinkney in this book. I have seen his work before and, once again, in this book it just works. I loved the traditional folk tale of John Henry. This would be very good for the classroom and for teaching students.
  barbarashuler | Mar 15, 2015 |
This story follows the African Traditional song about the fictional hero John Henry, who proved to be one of the strongest men to ever lived. All of nature took notice when this character was born, knowing that he would one day do work with a single hammer that no man had ever done before. The book covers the Industrial Revolution, specifically the invention of the steam drill used for building the railroad. John Henry represents man's strength and lack of need for machines. This would be a great unit during African American Month, and also in a social studies unit on the Industrial Revolution. I think the book is mostly appropriate between grades three through six.
  LoganBerglund | Dec 6, 2014 |
In memory of my father, James H., my John Henry. – J.P.
This tale attempts to be faithful to the indomitable human spirit John Henry embodies.

John Henry is stronger than ten men, and can dig through a mountain faster than a steam drill. Julius Lester's folksy retelling of a popular African-American folk ballad has warmth, tall tale humor, and boundless energy. Jerry Pinkney illustrates the story with "rich colors borrowed from the rocks and the earth, so beautiful that they summon their own share of smiles and tears" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:51 -0400)

Retells the life of the legendary African American hero who raced against a steam drill to cut through a mountain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,507,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible