John Henry by Julius Lester

John Henry (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Julius Lester, Jerry Pinkney (Illustrator)

Member:melissadorish
Title:John Henry
Authors:Julius Lester
Other authors:Jerry Pinkney (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (1994), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Folklore, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:African Americans, folktales, perseverance, living life to the fullest

John Henry (Picture Puffins) by Julius Lester (1994)

John Henry is a book about working hard and living a good life. John Henry is huge, massive, and works hard and fast. He uses his great strength to help others and be kind. The story everyone associates with John Henry is the steam drill. He races a steam drill drilling a hole through rock through a mountain. He ends up beating the drill by a mile, but he worked so hard he passed away.
  S_Trevor | Jun 12, 2017 |
It's about a man named John Henry who worked hard on anything he could work at. I like this book because its a really cool story to read. I would use this book in my classroom because its a great folktale. I would say that this book is good for fourth and fifth grade. ( )
  Cassandra.k | Apr 20, 2017 |
John Henry is a good person who love helping out other and are not lazy. He work on a railroad and die there so there were memoirs of him making a difference. I like the book because it take place in the history. I will use it for my class to discuss what good thing John Henry does. It suitable for grade fourth till seven.
  HsaRay | Apr 20, 2017 |
I like this book for a read aloud for any age group. If I was to read this with a 1st grade class I would talk about the things in the book that could not happen in real life. I would make a T chart together as a class and compare John Henry to a normal man so they could see all the exaggeration in the book. It would be good to talk about character development and all the different characteristics a character can have. I could also use this for a 5th grade class and talk about figurative language. This book includes a lot of smilies, metaphors, and hyperbole so these would all be good terms to introduce and find as we were reading. I like how John Henry and other things are described to colorfully with a lot of detail and would point this out to the students as I read. I would have to student mimic this style and have them right a story where they use a lot of figurative langue like "John Henry".
  LizaTibbs | Apr 1, 2017 |
about a freed slave, that happens across a railroad project....he had the strength of ten men..who's purpose was to challenge the steam machine and win.... ( )
  pope_angla | Mar 27, 2017 |

Julius Lesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, Jerrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father, James H., my John Henry. – J.P.
This tale attempts to be faithful to the indomitable human spirit John Henry embodies.

John Henry is stronger than ten men, and can dig through a mountain faster than a steam drill. Julius Lester's folksy retelling of a popular African-American folk ballad has warmth, tall tale humor, and boundless energy. Jerry Pinkney illustrates the story with "rich colors borrowed from the rocks and the earth, so beautiful that they summon their own share of smiles and tears" (Booklist).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:51 -0400)

Retells the life of the legendary African American hero who raced against a steam drill to cut through a mountain.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible