I Just Want My Pants Back: A Novel by David…

I Just Want My Pants Back: A Novel

by David Rosen

Interesting drama, quite funny, but the theme and morality of the story was deep and serious.Rosen's debut novel involves a young man on his own in the big city, not ready for a relationship but still desiring female companionship and the accompanying perks. He has big dreams of improving his career - just later, right now trying to ward off hangovers and make his time to work every day at a casting agency, his "temporary" place of employment. Surrounded by close friends and sweet neighbors, Jason is this generation’s example of immaturity encasing an all-around good guy. While he enjoys those quick lays, he's still seeking continuance with women. I'm not used to reading too many coming-of-age novels from a man's perspective, but I found it an easier shoe to slip into than I thought. It's helped by Jason being so completely human and normal in terms of common anxieties.

The story would not have been nearly as good if not for Rosen’s astounding writing and humorous turns of phrases. Hilarious touches of inner reflection match equally witty dialogue, and the refreshing style makes turning these pages a breeze. It’s easy to get lost in the world of quick IMs, late-night bar adventures, neighbor smoke-outs and quick fridge sex. His outlook on life is cute, in an adolescent drug-soaked sort of way. Even if he doesn't always make the best decisions, Jason is decently bright, cute and quirky, and just fun. While the end of the book doesn’t demonstrate a blossoming development of his character, it does signify change and slight growing up.

While I did enjoy this book immensely because of the character and wonderful writing, there isn't enough of a plot to warrant over 200 pages. Time passes but without much happening in terms of new developments, other than the protagonist drifting deeper into alcohol and irresponsibility. Friends of his mature and reach the turning point more swiftly than Jason does, but that's okay, because it's clear we don't all evolve the same. The ending is sad, but in a bittersweet, promising way. Jason is just one of the characters it's easy to love; even when he's making decidedly dumb decisions, you still want to watch it all happen because it's Jason doing it. He's the type of guy you'd just love to have as a friend, though not necessarily as a boyfriend.

If you enjoy novels of this ilk, picking this one up should be a no-brainer. While it could have done with more plot development, it's still a fun thing. Deeper than it seems, but you have to consciously dig to find those layers. And just what is up with the bizarre title? It's worth reading to find out if Jason does, finally, get those sought-after pants back. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The man-child at play is a dull thing to see. I was not at all surprised to find out that it was made into an Mtv miniseries a few years after I read it. ( )
  jscape2000 | Feb 1, 2015 |
Actually, it feels wrong to say that I read this book, when what i actually did was read three pages and then toss it into the to-be-returned-to-the-library pile. And it's simple, really. You see, life is too short to read books by men who have bestowed pet names and alternate personalities upon to their genitals by page three. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
I was surprisingly very impressed by I Just Want My Pants Back by David Rosen. You might think that this novel just sounds like some goofy or crass story about a young guy trying to make a life for himself in New York City. And if you watched the short-lived MTV series based on the book, you probably have reason to suspect this from the book. However, Rosen's writing style is incredibly smart and funny - not just in a crude way (although that's in there, too).

This wasn't a short read like I had expected. Although there aren't many pages, I found myself reading slowly to digest every word. I reread passages and laughed out loud. The only negative I have to say is that the adventures and experiences Jason, the narrator, encounters during the story begin to become mundane. The plot isn't all that great. But the writing itself, with a stylistic voice that rings pretty true for this generation, is enough to power readers through the book. ( )
  TheHeathers | Mar 7, 2013 |
I admit it I laughed quite a few times during the reading of this book, and found it a fun story. I have never seen the author's show on Mtv nor watched Mtv in like 20 years! but this story was funny and a nice change of pace. ( )
  zmagic69 | Mar 25, 2012 |
TK
I was a bored and hungry mammal. I lived in a small apartment on Perry Street that had a working fireplace, but only if you could find logs the size of cupcakes, as my hearth had the dimensions of an Easy Bake Oven.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076792794X, Paperback)

A Look Inside I Just Want My Pants Back

Premieres Thursday 2/2 @ 11/10c on MTV.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

Twenty-something Jason Strider lives a directionless life in New York City--with a tiny West Village apartment, a boring job as a receptionist at a casting agency, and no idea what to do with his life--and spends his time getting stoned or drunk, partying with friends, and searching for ways to get laid, in the story of a young man in search of love, meaning, and a good time. A first novel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible