The Melbourne Book: A History of Now by…

The Melbourne Book: A History of Now

by Maree Coote

202515,329 (4.33)None

Living in Tasmania, Melbourne is just over the fence in my back-yard, and I love it. Melbourne is exciting, interesting, full of trams and trains, fashion and food, and I just love going there for a visit. Maree Coote's book is full of fascinating details and information about this amazing city. One of the most interesting things for me, was to read of Cole's Book Arcade, what a tragedy that this is now listed as a lost treasure, in 1874 it was touted as The Grandest Bookshop in The World! I'd give my eye teeth to go back in time and walk into and through this arcade. If you love Melbourne and want to know some of it's secrets and find out about some of the characters past and present who have come from or live in Melbourne…get this book, you won't be disappointed. ( )
  Fliss88 | Mar 16, 2014 |
* From publicist for review*

Currently in it's fourth edition, Maree Coote's The Melbourne Book - A History Of Now is an absolute delight to read. A stunning hardcover book with colour photos throughout, this non-fiction gem covers all aspects of this magnificent city: Melbourne.

Being a resident for the past 13 years, I found the majority of the information presented quite fascinating, and would like to share a few of the things that interested me along the way:
- Two government surveyors (Robert Hoddle and Robert Russell) designed the iconic grid layout of the CBD in 1837;
- I didn't know this, but Exhibition Street was originally called Stephen Street; renamed Exhibition Street in 1888 in honour of the great Centennial Exhibition of Melbourne;
- The two busiest tram routes in Melbourne are: Number 6 and Number 96;
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said of the Botanic Gardens in 1920: "...absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever seen."
- Vegemite is made wholly in Melbourne, despite no longer being Australian-owned;
- Coles Book Arcade of Bourke Street in 1874 was the 'Grandest Bookshop in the World.' (I would give anything to have seen/browsed through this store).

I understand that in books like these, there needs to be a limit to content (I mean where do you stop) but I was surprised to find Queen Victoria Market wasn't included; such an amazing piece of land with a macabre past I thought this a glaring omission.

Having said that, The Melbourne Book will appeal to a wide variety of readers both young and old, residents, former residents, those considering moving or visiting Melbourne, and of course those with a keen interest in the history of the world's most liveable city. ( )
1 vote Carpe_Librum | Nov 20, 2013 |

Homicide detective Taylor Jackson thinks she ?s seen it all in Nashville ? but she ?s never seen anything as perverse as The Conductor. Once his victim is captured, he contains her in a glass coffin, slowly starving her to death. Only then does he give in to his attraction. Later, he creatively disposes of the body by reenacting scenes from famous paintings. Strangely, similar macabre works are being displayed in Europe. Taylor teams up with her fianc©?, FBI profiler Dr. John Baldwin, and New Scotland Yard detective James ?Memphis ? Highsmythe ? a haunted man who has eyes only for Taylor ? to put an end to The Conductor ?s art collection. Has the killer gone international? Or are there dueling artists, competing to create the ultimate masterpiece?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,451,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible