Owen (Caldecott Honor Book) by Kevin Henkes

Owen (Caldecott Honor Book) (edition 1993)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Member:MissSanchez
Title:Owen (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1993), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owen by Kevin Henkes

wichitafriendsschool | Jul 4, 2016 |
I am highly prejudiced against this book for one simple reason: I didn't have a security blanket as a kid, but a stuffed cat. So you can imagine the visuals my increasingly terrified child self was getting as this was read to me. Up to and including the possibility that one day, I'd find my beloved Carmichael dismembered by some busybody who thought I needed to develop at their pace. I was picturing carrying a severed paw around in my pocket. Great bedtime visual! Frankly, I never understood why the neighbor felt she had any input here, or why Owen's parents never told her to back off, mind her own business, and let the kid grow out of it in his own time.

Soooo, it's quite possible that it deserves a higher rating. But it was a traumatic book when I was a kid. My poor parents were grilled about the intentions of everyone we knew re: my cat, and for days afterwards I insisted that he be watched at all times. To say I don't have fond memories of this one is an understatement. ( )
  Jeslieness | Jun 10, 2016 |
Owen is the story of a young mouse and his fuzzy yellow blanket. This fuzzy yellow blanket is more than just a blanket to Owen; it’s his best friend. He includes the blanket in everything he plays; he brings it everywhere including places such as the dentist and barber. Fuzzy was always there for him and it meant something special to Owen. When Owen’s parents tried different things to take Fuzzy away, it didn’t work. Owen was so upset and just cried and cried. Finally, Owen’s mom figured out a solution; she would cut and sew Fuzzy into handkerchiefs for Owen to carry around. Kevin Henkes did a great job with the colorful pictures and how he showed the bond between Owen and Fuzzy in each picture. The pictures were very cartoon-like and will capture the eyes of young readers and I’m sure will relate to many of them. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 27, 2016 |
Owen is a mouse who love his baby blanket, Fuzzy. Owen takes Fuzzy everywhere, and does everything with it. Owens parents try to get him to give up Fuzzy, with assistance from their nosy neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, but nothing works. Until, finally, Owen's mother has an idea for Owen to keep Fuzzy, and still be a big boy. Owen was happy, "and Mrs. Tweezers doesn't say anything". With watercolors and a pen, Kevin Henkes creates vibrant and colorful adaptations of his words. Each page tells a story of just how much Own likes his blanket. Throwing a not to the adult readers of his book, Henkes adapts famous art into his pictures, changing them just enough to fit his mouse story. While the pictures alone may not tell the full story, they add so much depth to the book. ( )
  amberloposser | Jan 23, 2016 |
Owen doesn't want to give up his baby blanket, Fuzzy. His nosy next door neighbor Mrs. Tweezers tells his parents all kinds of tricks to get him to give it up, but Owen's mother finds a creative solution that makes everyone happy. As usual (Bailey Goes Camping, Julius the Baby of the World, etc.), Kevin Henkes demonstrates a great understanding of childhood. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 18, 2016 |

Kevin Henkesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matthew BroderickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen (1995IMDb)
For Laura
Owen had a fuzzy yellow blanket.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688114490, Hardcover)

The clinical name is transitional object, but for young children, a beloved blanket is more like a lifeline. And that's exactly how Owen feels about his baby blanket, fondly named Fuzzy. The Owen-Fuzzy relationship is cruising along smoothly until a nosy neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, leans over the fence and asks his parents, "Isn't he getting a little old to be carrying that thing around?" With kindergarten just around the corner, Owen's parents wonder if he should in fact relinquish his prized Fuzzy. Kevin Henkes uses his signature mouse characters and jewel-tone watercolors to explore the antics and foils of one mouse-boy, one rag-blanket, and two parents wondering how to help their son kick the habit. This is what Henkes does best--playfully bringing childhood fears and feelings to the surface while portraying real-life parent-child tensions. Mrs. Tweezers, a real sourpuss, is no help at all. She offers terrible over-the-fence advice, such as dipping Fuzzy in vinegar (as if to cure a nail-biting habit) or stealing the blanket in the night.

It is not until the eve of Owen's first day of kindergarten that his mother hatches the perfect solution. Ultimately, she finds a way that Owen can hang on to his first true love while also taking the next step into middle childhood--a solution that suits everyone, including Mrs. Tweezers. Caldecott Honor Book, Horn Book Fanfare Honor List, ALA Notable Book, Boston Globe/Horn Book Honor Book, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, ALA Booklist Children's Editors' Choice. (Ages 3 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Owen's parents try to get him to give up his favorite blanket before he starts school, but when their efforts fail, they come up with a solution that makes everyone happy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,547,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible