Owen (Caldecott Honor Book) by Kevin Henkes

Owen (Caldecott Honor Book) (edition 1993)

by Kevin Henkes, Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)

Title:Owen (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Kevin Henkes
Other authors:Kevin Henkes (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1993), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages

Owen by Kevin Henkes

"Owen" is a great picture book about the importance of growing up and letting go of certain habits. This story is about a little boy named Owen who has a yellow blanket he loves very much. He holds onto this blanket all the time no matter what the situation is. Mrs. Tweezers, Owen's next door neighbor, notices this and gives his parents multiple different ideas to help him stop that habit. None of her ideas work by the time school is about to start for Owen. Then, Owen's mom has the idea to cut his blanket into small squares to become a small handkerchief for him to carry around. He is still happy with this, but also shows that he is able to let go of the idea of carrying his blanket. Overall, this was a very nice book to read. It shows the difficulty some parents and children go through with trying to break a habit. I would definitely read this book with my students during a Kevin Henkes' lesson while also teaching the importance of letting go of habits and growing up. ( )
  goreyes | Oct 24, 2016 |
Neither of my kids (nor I, for that matter) ever felt an especially strong bond to a blanket or stuffy, so really, I kind of don't get these stories. All I know about blankets I learned from Linus. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Owen loved his little fuzzy blanket; it was perfect. It went where ever he went, and ate whatever he ate too. However, there seemed to be a big issue with Owen's blanket. Mrs. Tweezers, their neighbor, thinks that Owen is too old to be carrying around a blanket. Throughout the story, she gives Owen's parents some tips on how to get rid of it. Nothing worked. When it came time for school, Owen wanted to take his blanket with him. However, this time, his parents did not allow him to. Instead, his mother made a handkerchief for him to carry wherever he went. He still had a little piece of his blanket, and I think that's all that mattered. As for Mrs. Tweezers, she did not have a word left to say. One day the blanket will have to go, but in this way, Owen can hang on to it a little bit longer. ( )
  Sierra.Coupel | Oct 14, 2016 |
This was a cute book. It reminded me of my daughter. The book would be one that I would do a read aloud with. I would have the students tell the beginning middle and end of the book. What the blanket started out as and what it ended as. The book would be a great one for small group discussion and turn and talks ( )
  skeltonmorgan | Oct 4, 2016 |
I really like this book because I feel that a lot of students can relate to it. Although in the beginning, Owen cannot do anything without his yellow blanket, in the end he is able to function without it. I love how well Henkes developes Owen's character throughout the story and shows how he has grown up as a character.
  makensiecowart | Sep 26, 2016 |

Kevin Henkesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matthew BroderickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Owen (1995IMDb)
For Laura
Owen had a fuzzy yellow blanket.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688114490, Hardcover)

The clinical name is transitional object, but for young children, a beloved blanket is more like a lifeline. And that's exactly how Owen feels about his baby blanket, fondly named Fuzzy. The Owen-Fuzzy relationship is cruising along smoothly until a nosy neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, leans over the fence and asks his parents, "Isn't he getting a little old to be carrying that thing around?" With kindergarten just around the corner, Owen's parents wonder if he should in fact relinquish his prized Fuzzy. Kevin Henkes uses his signature mouse characters and jewel-tone watercolors to explore the antics and foils of one mouse-boy, one rag-blanket, and two parents wondering how to help their son kick the habit. This is what Henkes does best--playfully bringing childhood fears and feelings to the surface while portraying real-life parent-child tensions. Mrs. Tweezers, a real sourpuss, is no help at all. She offers terrible over-the-fence advice, such as dipping Fuzzy in vinegar (as if to cure a nail-biting habit) or stealing the blanket in the night.

It is not until the eve of Owen's first day of kindergarten that his mother hatches the perfect solution. Ultimately, she finds a way that Owen can hang on to his first true love while also taking the next step into middle childhood--a solution that suits everyone, including Mrs. Tweezers. Caldecott Honor Book, Horn Book Fanfare Honor List, ALA Notable Book, Boston Globe/Horn Book Honor Book, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, ALA Booklist Children's Editors' Choice. (Ages 3 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Owen's parents try to get him to give up his favorite blanket before he starts school, but when their efforts fail, they come up with a solution that makes everyone happy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,835,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible