The Princess Knight (Booklist Editor's…

The Princess Knight (Booklist Editor's Choice. Books for Youth (Awards)) (edition 2004)

by Cornelia Funke

3572030,515 (4)5
Member:Marensr
Title:The Princess Knight (Booklist Editor's Choice. Books for Youth (Awards))
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2004), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Children's Literature, Read

The Princess Knight by Cornelia Funke

I very much enjoyed this book. The theme of the story is about not letting anyone tell you who or what you can and cannot be and that you chose your own path in life. You see this during the part of the story where Violetta fights in her own tournament and wins, causing her father, the king, to have to call off the tournament. I especially like that the main character is a girl because I feel as if there are not a lot of gender-role-defying books out there to inspire little girls to do their best and reach for the stars. This book shows them that with a lot of dedication and practice, they can do anything boys can do, sometimes even better. This is seen multiple times throughout the book, once when Violetta trains in secret in the night so she can beat her brothers, and another time when she fights in the tournament for her own hand in marriage. ( )
  rlyon2 | Mar 11, 2017 |
I liked this book for multiple reasons. First, the main character, Violet, is relatable for young girls. For example, Violet is a princess and must focus on getting marries rather than having fun with her brothers. Her father thinks she shouldn't ride horses or play with her brothers because it is unlady like. She proves to them all that she is brave when she goes into disguise and fight off all her suitors. Young girls can see that they can do whatever they want and shouldn't let others hold them back from what they truly like to do. Another reason I liked this book is because of the suspense created in the plot. For example, the reader wonders who Violets husband will be after the battle for her hand in marriage. But to the surprise of the reader Violet is the winner and shows that she is brave like men. The big idea from the story is that girls can do anything boys can do. Violet proves to her father and brothers that she is just as brave and strong as them even though she is a girl. ( )
  Erica_Dickey | Nov 15, 2016 |
Ooh - wonderful. The illustrations were so fun, with all the detail. And the titular twist was done with perfect grace and verve. Violetta is smart, brave, resourceful, and kind. What parent wouldn't want their little girl to be like her? Well done - I'm going to be recommending this one. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked this book for three reasons. Firstly, I liked this book because it has a well developed character named Violette. Violetta inspires to be the best knight in her Father's kingdom. She shows that just because she is a girl, doesn't mean she can't be as strong as a male knight. I really enjoyed how the author created the main character to be determined to win her way out of situations, especially marrying the knight that wins. Secondly, I like the illustrations in the story. I like how the illustrations clearly depict the medieval era and what the people would be wearing during the times. Lastly, I liked the book because of how it was organized. The illustrations are towards the top of the page, and the writing was at the bottom of the page. It makes the book easier to read and well organized. It helps the reader focus on the writing and illustrations without getting confused. The meaning of this book is that girls can do the same things as boys, and girl's don't have be limited to achieve their dreams. ( )
  ahenri7 | Apr 18, 2016 |
This tradebook was a fairytale. It was all about princes and princesses. This was about a little girl named Violetta, who was raised to be like her brothers. Her brothers were trained to be knights, and ride horses. Violetta's dad raised her like her brothers. She practiced everyday, to be just as good as her brothers. I gave this story a three out of five stars. It shows that girls can do the same things as boys, just as well as they can. The illustrations look like they were done in water color, and the pictures didn't fill the whole page. The words were separate from the pictures, which helped me focus on the story. This story is more of a read for fun book. It has a good message, but I wouldn't make a lesson out of it. ( )
  j.swancutt | Dec 3, 2015 |

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer, KerstinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King Wilfred the Worthy had three sons.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439536308, Hardcover)

Cornelia Funke, author of the bestselling Thief Lord, tells a short, sweet story about a brave little princess with a mind of her own.

King Wilfred's three sons learn to become big, bad knights the way any boisterous boys would: "They learned riding and jousting, fighting with swords...They learned how to stride proudly and how to shout very loudly." At her father's urging, young Princess Violetta tries to keep up with the same lessons, "even though she was so small she could hardly lift a sword at all!" Despite her brothers' teasing and laughing, Violetta continues to practice--even secretly at night. Soon enough, Violetta becomes "so nimble and quick" that when practicing with her brothers, "their spears and swords just hit the empty air." But then King Wilfred does the unthinkable: For his Violetta's sixteenth birthday, he plans a jousting tournament designed to bring "the bravest knights in the land flocking to the castle" to win…her hand in marriage! Violetta is outraged: "You want me to marry some dimwit in a tin suit?" Fortunately, of course, the princess finds a way to come to her own rescue.

Funke does well in this picturebook format, but Kerstin Meyer's delicate and extremely cute illustrations set the quiet, measured (but still fun) tone of the Princess Knight, as she takes inspiration from a bona fide medieval piece of art--the 11th-century Bayeux Tapestry (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

Violetta is a little princess who is determined to be as big and strong as her brothers. She secretly teaches herself to become the cleverest, bravest, most nimble knight in the land.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible