When I Get Bigger (Pictureback(R)) by Mercer…

When I Get Bigger (Pictureback(R)) (1999)

by Mercer Mayer

I really enjoy this book because I feel it is extremely relatable to young children. Personally as a child, I always thought about what I will be able to do when I got older. I have a sister who is four years older than me and I would live vicariously through her. The book talks about things that young children can’t wait to do when they’re older. The best part about this book, I think, is that it brings up activities that older people take advantage of doing. For example it states, “I’ll order something from a catalog and it will come in the mail.” For adults, this is a hassle and not an advantage. I think it is clever and entertaining that the author uses everyday, simple activities and make them seem like a dream to a little kid! The main message in this book is dreaming of what you can do when you grow up! ( )
  jtaylo41 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I used to love the Little Critter books when I was younger, so I of course loved this book. This story is great because it shows all the things adults can do, but aren't necessarily safe for children to do on their own. It can remind children why their parents and teachers make rules and that one day, they'll have different rules. ( )
  slcooley | Dec 10, 2013 |
Summary:
When I get bigger is a bout a little critter wanting to get older, and to be able to do more on his own. He wants to help the little kids swing on the playground, and pick out his own boots. He wants to be able to stay up late to finish a movie but he has to go to bed because his mom and dad said so.

Personal Reaction: I really like this story because it lets children know they are still young and have to listen to their parents. But it also lets them see there are some things they can’t do right now because they are to young but once they get older they will be allowed to do those things they can’t do yet.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. After reading the story have an in class discussion about what they want to do now but are not allowed to do because their parents tell them they are to young!
2. Do a little project with the students about what they want to be when they get older!
  kimbo2012 | Mar 27, 2013 |
Little critter talks about all the things he can do when he gets bigger. Like go to school, camp out in the backyard, and stay up late andwatch movies. He falls asleep during the movie. Mom sends him to bed. he realizes he is not bigger yet.
  kag026 | Apr 21, 2011 |
When I Get Bigger, is a story of a little critter (boy) who cannot wait to grow up and be able to go to the corner store, cross the road on his own and go to first grade. He is thinking of how he will do all of these things in a responsible manner; he will look both side to make sure there is no cars coming. At the end of the story he says that he will stay up to watch the end of the late movie even if he is sleepy… but I’m not bigger yet he says. This book would fit into the building community strategy. Boys and girls can relate to this story because when we are small we are dreaming of the time when we can be able to do things on our own.
  yurimtz | Mar 2, 2011 |
When I get bigger I'll be able to do lots of things.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119432, Paperback)

In this funny, all-too-human picture book, Mercer Mayer's famous Little Critter dreams of the day when he will be big enough to go to first grade, dial phone numbers by himself, camp out in the backyard, or walk to the corner store. By the end of his energetic daydreaming, Little Critter is so tired he has to go to bed. As he himself admits, "I'm not bigger yet." It's a fine and familiar catalogue of what young children yearn for.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:33 -0400)

A child imagines all the things to be done when one is bigger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible